A note to GM staff part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Good job!

It's difficult to design something iconic and still look exciting. The new C7 is aggressive but carries over a few cues from the past to make it part of the overall lineage.

The engineering looks first rate. The new engine is impressive. 450+ hp and no gas guzzler tax.

Most impressive of all... a very, very modest increase in price with a lot of new features and technology.
Great message!

I would add that the Corvette team should be very proud of the job they did keeping the C6 generation as great and as profitable as they did. If Tadge and the team had NOT done that, it is very likely there would be NO C7 at all.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It's sad that you **** on Jimi's aura by using his image in your avatar. Okay, now we have balance...ohmmmmmmmmm
But Ox .. I still gave it a B-, still not good enuff ?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
C7 is > than C6 Z06

Yay for C7!!!! sorry C6ers. We do have a forum for you though!!!
I just had a funny thought: after nearly 10 years of friction between C5 and C6 owners maybe they'll all bury the hatchet and unite to dis the C7
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job, but next time get the styling right!

Last edited by ArcticC7; 05-21-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

They did get it right.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
They did get it right.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Sure is, expect for the LS7 heads being a ticking timebomb. Can't remember the last car a forum will tell you to rip into the motor to prevent a looming catastrophic failure if your out of warranty.
Don't be so smug. The LT1 engine is entirely new. If you don't think that engine won't have some teething problems you are naive. The first year of this car will show up things that need to change in the second year of production.
Bronzevette85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
They did get it right.
Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Couldn't have agree more. Loved everything about the C7. Great job GM!
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I would venture to say that you're very close to taking the same path as Stingray81 and 427 C5, which means you won't be posting here for much longer.
S.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Don't be so smug. The LT1 engine is entirely new. If you don't think that engine won't have some teething problems you are naive. The first year of this car will show up things that need to change in the second year of production.
Or it could be like the LS2 and LS3, neither of those engines have been as fatally flawed as the LS7....as a former owner of a Z06, I can tell you first hand its a little concerning finding metal pieces (much larger then the normal fuzz) stuck to the magnetic drain plug, I abandoned ship before it was too late.
Couple years later and the valve drop plague has been identified to the heads....at the time I owned it, was still unknown wtf was going on.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Or it could be like the LS2 and LS3, neither of those engines have been as fatally flawed as the LS7....as a former owner of a Z06, I can tell you first hand its a little concerning finding metal pieces (much larger then the normal fuzz) stuck to the magnetic drain plug, I abandoned ship before it was too late.
Couple years later and the valve drop plague has been identified to the heads....at the time I owned it, was still unknown wtf was going on.
It's more about how GM is treating the problem than the problem itself. The LS7 is a great engine, as well as is the complete car. Not every LS7 has dropped a valve, but GM, IMHO, is not taking care of those that bought a $80,000 car and is out of warranty on a car with maybe 25,000 miles, and maybe has a problem with the potential of destroying a $17,000 engine without any warning. Remember....the owner of the LS7 did not manufacture a car with a possible valve problem...GM did.... but the LS7 owner takes it in the shorts, if he was one of the unlucky guys that bought a car with badly machined heads.

When Ford designed the 2005 GT they designed the suspension control arms, using a "squash cast" manufacturing process, that were cracking in service. They then redesigned the control arms and replaced the control arms in cars that were sold, after telephoning owners of the GT's sold. The questionable a-arms didn't make the car any less a masterpiece. Ford corrected the problem and moved on.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it funny that some are still offended GM hasent said much about this or they will not fix anyting. Cmon , who are you kidding?
Why would they " take care of you" , when we cant even get a good service department from them? Your expecting way to much from GM .
By the way I hate to be negative on a Chevy site but Ford is leaps and bounds ahead of GM in their cars, service and quality. Its not even close.
The only ones that will disagree with me are the " Brand Loyalists" which there is alot of .
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
I find it funny that some are still offended GM hasent said much about this or they will not fix anyting. Cmon , who are you kidding?
Why would they " take care of you" , when we cant even get a good service department from them? Your expecting way to much from GM .
By the way I hate to be negative on a Chevy site but Ford is leaps and bounds ahead of GM in their cars, service and quality. Its not even close.
The only ones that will disagree with me are the " Brand Loyalists" which there is alot of .
Totally disagree and this from a former Ford buyer. I got my belly full of BS from Ford from both a sh*tty quality AND service standpoint.

Frankly, I don't see much difference between Ford and GM in this regard. They all have their issues good and bad.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Well, how about because the service department is owned and managed by an independent retailer, and the LS7 engine problems are from a different company. GM is a different company from your local dealer. Your local dealer does not warrant your Corvette; GM does. GM pays your local dealer to fix your Corvette if it needs repairs that are covered by GM's warranty within the warranty's time/mileage constraints.

In 1968, I purchased a new 1968 VW with A/C(dealer installed VW option). There were two VW dealers in Little Rock, AR at that time. Shortly after, on a 95* day, the car made a large bang from the rear with a huge white cloud of smoke coming from the rear of the car and the A/C started blowing hot air.
I took the car to the dealer near to my home(not the selling dealer) to get it repaired under warranty. I told them to call me if they thought anything was not going to be covered under warrant as the service advisor was questioning the dealer installed A/C.

Sure enough, a couple of hours later , they called and said the warranty would cover the defective A/C compressor clutch, but not pay or the busted hose, the Freon, or the broken belt. I told them to not do anything more to the car and put the parts they had removed in the front trunk.

I picked up the car, drove it to the selling dealer and asked them if the A/C clutch locked up, would everything required to repair the A/C be covered under my VW factory warranty. They said everything was covered 100%.

I picked the car up the next day, with a fully functioning A/C and didn't have to pay a dime. The dealer I originally took the car to wanted over $100(1968 coins) for the items + labor for the items they said were not covered under warranty.

My problem was with the first dealer's service department, not VW. VW paid the second dealer for all the expenses incurred to repair my A/C under warranty.

With my Z06, my problem is with how GM is handling the valve problem, not with how my local dealer is handling the valve problem. My local dealer can not fix the problem unless GM pays them to do so.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

You missed my point C5....

If they cant properly run a legit service team , how do you expect them to own up to a huge mistake ?
If they cant put good quality cars on the road , what make you think they will own up to LS7 engine issues.
Yes the service dealer and Gm are completly different but I dont blame those dealers for being the way they are , They just dont know any better, I blame the LACK of GIVING A SHI* from GM , thats made them that way .
By the way there are some good dealers out there just not very many .
Again , if you have to cringe because you have to take car to service , than you know there is a problem . Yes, I cringe anytime I have to take my ride to service. I just thank god its never at all been anything serious.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Another great service review from another satisfied GM owner.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ealership.html

The good guys at GM! lol
Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Again I can't stress my point enough. The LT1 has sodium filled exhaust valves like the LS7. Who knows what else looms deep inside the LT1 that could cause problems. Hopefully they designed and tested this engine thoroughly but we thought the same thing with the LS7. The only LS7 rumour we have is that it was a supplier issue with valve guides that caused problems. But guess what. We can also have supplier problems with the LT1 engine as well. Lets see if GM can get the quality standards of their supplier base in line with what they want us to believe.

Quick Reply: A note to GM staff part 2