CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

another C7 thread down the drain
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I honestly think the C7's introduction and evolutionary steps rank with the introduction of the 63 split window coupe. Direct injection is something many said Chevy wouldn't do for another 5 years or so. It's got a little catch up to do with the auto trans in the form of a dual clutch 8 speed, but that's coming.

Just think of the bests GM has come up with in recent years:

Cobalt SS turbo...still holds the Lightening Lap record for it's class as well as Nurburgring
Cruze Europe's World Touring Car World Champions three years running
CTS-V Put a whoopin on BMW's best
CTS-V Wagon phenomenal performance hauler - Top Gear Video shows it beating a Ferrari California in a drag race
Camaro SS, 1LE, ZL1 and now Z28 yeah, it's a big car but it hauls butt and beats some super cars especially at Nurburgring
Corvette, Z06, ZR1, C7 cars that have made history - 6 or 7 times LeMans class winners?

It's nice to be a Chevy performance fan when we're on top!!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99

another C7 thread down the drain
Yep, be nice of the haters to just stay out of the C7 section if they having nothing worth saying.....complaints about the C7 have all been rehashed over and over by the haters.

But I'm keeping a list of all the haters, cause just like the C5-C6 transition a large amount of people who initially were upset with the design change, came over and bought C6's.

I fully expect as the C7 hits the local roads, local cruise nights, local tracks.....little by little the haters will melt away and buy the best corvette yet. There is no doubt, this will be the best Corvette generation, I'm looking forward to owning one someday.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm going to have to disagree with you disagreeing with me disagreeing with you.

The C7 has a new engine design, completely new exterior and interior design (including the departure from the round tail lights).

The C5 to the C6 used the exact same engine platform/design and had a nearly identical interior and exterior. That was an evolutionary change.
I owned a 1998 and 2006. Dont know what youre talking about????????
Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would almost bet some who complain about quality haven't seen the C7 in person. And, it's a little difficult to complain about it's serviceability when none have been sold yet. There's simply no sports car in the world that comes close to the quality and performance of a Corvette for the money and the C7 makes it even more difficult for them to compete.

I had two different Corvettes in Europe, an 82 and an 02 and, trust me, the Germans, Italians and 10 other countries love the Vette...for good reason. By the way, a new 2003 Corvette was on a GM showroom floor for over $110K and still there are Corvette clubs all over Europe.

I don't think I can afford a C7 anytime soon...have to wait for a 3 or 4 year old used one...but, some day......

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 05-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Good job!

It's difficult to design something iconic and still look exciting. The new C7 is aggressive but carries over a few cues from the past to make it part of the overall lineage.

The engineering looks first rate. The new engine is impressive. 450+ hp and no gas guzzler tax.

Most impressive of all... a very, very modest increase in price with a lot of new features and technology.
Do you not then agree that the C6Z06 is a marvelous piece of engineering excellence?

It is the lightest version produced of the C6 and C7, and it has 505 HP and no gas guzzler tax. No one can argue that the C6 Z06 is not aggressive and yet no one mistakes it for another sports car. It screams "I'm a Corvette" from every angle.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Premmer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Corvette Online Order / Reference Guide Website

The wheels shown on your website are for the 2013 Corvette. When I contacted your new order help line (800) 950-CHEVY, I was told they are the same as the 2013. Hope the GM Staff is monitoring this thread and will provide a hi-res image of the RQ1 Machine-Faced Aluminum Wheels 1YY*7 option.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Do you not then agree that the C6Z06 is a marvelous piece of engineering excellence?

It is the lightest version produced of the C6 and C7, and it has 505 HP and no gas guzzler tax. No one can argue that the C6 Z06 is not aggressive and yet no one mistakes it for another sports car. It screams "I'm a Corvette" from every angle.
Sure is, expect for the LS7 heads being a ticking timebomb. Can't remember the last car a forum will tell you to rip into the motor to prevent a looming catastrophic failure if your out of warranty.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what you're saying GTO is that a car with a motor that has been in production for nine years that GM builds is a problematic "time bomb" yet the all new C7 will come with no worries? This is kind of hypocritical isn't it?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Sure is, expect for the LS7 heads being a ticking timebomb. Can't remember the last car a forum will tell you to rip into the motor to prevent a looming catastrophic failure if your out of warranty.
That's the truth, but GM didn't deliberately design the heads/valves to fail at 20,000 miles. But GM has screwed the pooch especially with the terrible public relations with Z06 owners. Some are at 100,000 miles with no problems while others dropped a valve with under 20,000 miles.

Still, the C6 Z06 is an engineering masterpiece. It delivers the mail and doesn't have to come up with lame excuses.

If the C7 comes with a problem like the LS7's valves, how will GM handle it? Hopefully, not the same way they have handled the LS7. But GM has a long history of producing duds, and not taking care of their customers. Don't think for a minute that the C7 will somehow be immune to such problems.

About the only thing that the C7 has that I would accept on my Z06 is the TR6070. But, at the end of the day, that extra 1 MPG improvement while driving on the Interstate for 500 miles isn't something I would pay extra for.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Is the Iphone 1 engineering excellence? Well, what about Iphone 5?

Things get better. Deal with it.

To me, the C6 screams "I'm a 12 year old Corvette".

I will argue it's not aggressive enough. It looks like bread rising in a pan.

There... are we through insulting each others tastes now?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm going to have to disagree with you disagreeing with me disagreeing with you.

The C7 has a new engine design, completely new exterior and interior design (including the departure from the round tail lights).

The C5 to the C6 used the exact same engine platform/design and had a nearly identical interior and exterior. That was an evolutionary change.
The LS2 was more similar to the LS1 than the new LT1 is to the LS3, but come on, these are all SBCs. On the other hand, the LS7 and especially LS9 were as big a change from the LS1 or LS6 as what we've seen with the new Stingray.

The C6 Z06 aluminum chassis was a bigger departure from the C5 steel chassis than the C7's is from the C6 Z06 / ZR-1.

The C6 interior is very different than the C5's. In 2004, people were raving about it. Then after a few years, groupthink settled in and people remembered they're supposed to hate Corvette interiors. I suspect the same thing will happen with the C7, unfortunately.

The surface "graphic" (what a terrible term) changes on the C7 exterior are more overt but the overall shape and proportion of the car is _very_ C6 - as one would expect. At dusk you'll get them mixed up... except for those taillights of course.

I think the C7 is part of the steady evolution of the platform that really began with the C5. They've got a winner and they're making it better.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Is the Iphone 1 engineering excellence? Well, what about Iphone 5?

Things get better. Deal with it.

To me, the C6 screams "I'm a 12 year old Corvette".

I will argue it's not aggressive enough. It looks like bread rising in a pan.

There... are we through insulting each others tastes now?
I thought we were talking about the C6 Z06. At least I was when I said the Z06(sorry if I mumbled and you couldn't read what I wrote) is lighter then the C7, has more horsepower than the C7 and looks more aggressive than the C7. You are aware that the Z06 is slightly different from the base C6.

I didn't mention it, but the C6 Z06 is actually 7 years old, not 12.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I thought we were talking about the C6 Z06. At least I was when I said the Z06(sorry if I mumbled and you couldn't read what I wrote) is lighter then the C7, has more horsepower than the C7 and looks more aggressive than the C7. You are aware that the Z06 is slightly different from the base C6.

C6 Z06 is awesome.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

But if the C7 matches the C6 Z06 in performance, does it really matter if its a few pounds lighter?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
But if the C7 matches the C6 Z06 in performance, does it really matter if its a few pounds lighter?
Going to be tough to match it!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The LS2 was more similar to the LS1 than the new LT1 is to the LS3, but come on, these are all SBCs. On the other hand, the LS7 and especially LS9 were as big a change from the LS1 or LS6 as what we've seen with the new Stingray.
I can't agree with this statement mainly because of how much the combustion system has changed with the LT1 vs the Gen III and IV. The bottom end, not so much, but the oil squirters, forged crank, and variable oil pump are pretty big deals on a standard engine although some of it was already on the LS9. There was a good bit in common with the Gen III and IV engines but there's not much in common with the Gen V as far as we know.

The C6 Z06 aluminum chassis was a bigger departure from the C5 steel chassis than the C7's is from the C6 Z06 / ZR-1.
In terms of materials, yes. In terms of structure, no. The move from the normal frame rails to the various different sections that makeup the C7 frame are much different from the C5/C6 frame in any material.

I think the C7 is part of the steady evolution of the platform that really began with the C5. They've got a winner and they're making it better.
This I agree with. Same basic principles, higher tech execution. Should be great.

Get notified of new replies

To A note to GM staff part 2

Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

C7 is > than C6 Z06

Yay for C7!!!! sorry C6ers. We do have a forum for you though!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default True

Good job!

It's difficult to design something iconic and still look exciting. The new C7 is aggressive but carries over a few cues from the past to make it part of the overall lineage.

The engineering looks first rate. The new engine is impressive. 450+ hp and no gas guzzler tax.

Most impressive of all... a very, very modest increase in price with a lot of new features and technology.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I saw it in person this weekend. It looks great. I think this will be a big hit for GM.

Quick Reply: A note to GM staff part 2