Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 at Lone Star Corvette Classic

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I agree with both of these statements. The issue is that you are presuming that the C7 won't be a success because of your personal feelings towards it. I don't believe that GM did anything to hurt brand loyalty for the Corvette other than a few who can't get past certain changes in the styling. Most C6 owners love the new style and I believe (although I could be wrong) that it is demonstrated on this forum. Also, those loyal to the brand today aren't enough to keep Corvette going into the future. You NEED to restyle and bring in other folks who will be "loyal to the brand" and that won't happen without forward progression. The current generation of loyal Corvette fans are aging and won't carry the car into the future... GM absolutely NEEDS a new generation of fans and that means making changes.

Likewise, I absolutely agree that there will be a mid cycle refresh on styling as this is common across all brands. However, look at the C6... it was a wide body restyle and not a complete departure. So, yes, they will do something like this for the C7 but, IMO, it won't be a complete restyling of the car but a freshening... maybe a wide body... tweaks here and there.

Don't forget, the C6 was a sales success and they still did the restyle... why? To keep it fresh over a long generation.
That's the nice thing about the Corvette's unibody construction where the non structural body panels just bolt on to the space frame(except for the rocker panels which are glued on). Easy to redesign them. Look at the Z06. They redesigned the front fascia, the front fenders and the rear fenders and really changed the car's look. All were bolt on panels an still used the same attachment points so no changes needed to be made to the space frame, etc. Many people would not have upgraded to a C6 if it hadn't been for the restyled Z06/ZR1/GS/427 convertible. In the end, the original style C6 only accounted for about 30% of C6's sales.

Doors can also be completely redesigned to blend with new front and rear fenders as they are only held in place by two hinge pins. Changing the doors though, might require that the car undergo new crash impact certification if more than the outer skin was changed.

I'm old and I replaced some old Corvette person that has cashed in his chips, and I will be replaced by some "new" old Corvette person in the near future. There will always be a steady supply of new "old people" to take the place of us older folks when we cash it in.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-19-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Better get better set of glasses, it's beautiful.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Nice.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Brumley
Ok, I may offend some people here. The C7 looks awful. I have seen it in person for the past few days at the Lone Star Corvette Classic. I bet the price for used C6's goes way up.
Man I hope you're right. I really hope that everybody hates it and no body buys one. That they start all over for 2015 and this is a one year only design. Why, you ask? Because I absolutely love this car, and would be exctatic if they had to drop the price to $25K by next spring just to unload them. You see, I really couldn't care less about what anybody else thinks about the car.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I think anyone would be glad to take that bet. Prices of C6's are going to drop and keep on dropping. Put them all together in a car show and the C6 will no longer be commanding the attention. The number of people that don't like the C7 are in the vast minority, but unfortunately are among the most vocal here on the forums. It will take a while longer before they begin to realize that no one here cares whether they like it or not and that they feel the need to interject a negative into nearly every thread.
In today's world the minority wants to rule so they feel some empowerment. Pay attention to me! Wa,wa, wa.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, I may offend some people here. The C7 looks awful. I have seen it in person for the past few days at the Lone Star Corvette Classic. I bet the price for used C6's goes way up.
My 2cents:

I think the C7 looks incredible. I bet the price for used C6's drops like a rock in the next year. As people get used to seeing the C7 on the street.. and C6's get traded in record amounts. Once a C7 pulls up beside a C6, I have no doubt that C6 owner will immediately begin thinking about how to get a C7 of their own.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

For whatever reason, I don't like the way it looks in the debut photos from GM. However all the photos and videos of it that people are taking when seeing it out and about have won me over. It looks more at home on a road or in a parking lot than in some weird photo session with strange lighting.

Its a nice looking car. I will hold out for a Z version, probably a long time before I can afford one.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think that's one heck of a nice looking car .......particularly the color
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

I Saw the C-7 at Lonestar this weekend. In my opinion the car looks very nice and has an awesome interior but the Lime Rock Green does not do it for me and a lot of others. Any available color but Lime Rock Green would be fine.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw the same green at TMS this weekend. Gorgeous. My guess is they will revise the rear in a year or two-- I think if they just paint the entire rear and avoid the black, that will help. Aside from the unflattering spoiler tho that was the only negative point.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 PM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I too was at the show and got to see the new stingray. I really like this car. Pictures just don't do the car justice. I heard some comments about the rear of the car and its resemblance to another car, but i disagree with them. Here are some pics i took using my wifes phone. they turned out ok enough. I took my camera and got ready to use it and the battery was dead.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Mojo-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're joking right?? You're entitled to your opinion re its looks, but to suggest the C6 will increase in value is pure folly.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
jaztec68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the C7 alot. With the exception of the C6Z and GS, I did'nt really like the C6 at all. I bought a low mileage C5Z over the C6 base coupe and I have no regrets. I will buy the C7,but I'm gonna wait until all the first year bugs are worked out.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Way to soon to tell

The C7 looks good. Hard to say why anyone would not agree to that. Whether you like it enough to trade in your current car is going to be a personal choice. Maybe you cannot afford to do it and therefore you are a bit bitter. Understandable, but progress marches on. For me it does not say preformance that a newer Z06 says with the upgraded rims. Maybe after reading some road tests, that will change but for me the jury is still out. I have seen the car in person twice, and it is not causing me to look at my current car with any less enthusiasm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 at Lone Star Corvette Classic