My sacrifice for the C7...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts
Default My sacrifice for the C7...

Sometimes in life you make sacrifices to get what you want

Having 3 kids in the house and convincing my wife to let me buy a 2 seat Corvette was... well... challenging, in spite of the fact that it is rare any of the kids are in my car So we agreed that if I bought an inexpensive and practical AWD winter vehicle she would concede. Fast cars aren't fun in Canadian winters in any event so for 5 months a year having a practical, not fun car isn't a big deal (that is me trying to justify). I have been driving a Mercedes C63 coupe which is my year round daily driver. Before that were 2 E92 M3s.

Well, this past Wednesday I sold the C63 and bought a 2013 Kia Sportage Going from 482hp/443ft.lbs to 170ish HP is quite a system shock. Not to mention all of my friends and colleagues respond with "you are driving WHAT!!"

So, until the C7 arrives I will be driving the Sportage. Not a bad CUV and decent value for the $$ but I think I have lost part of my soul Anyone who says to me that I have to "prove" I'm actually going to buy a C7 again will get a slap in the head I've only had the Kia for a couple of days but I can honestly say that the C7 now can't come fast enough.

Hopefully the rest of you don't need to make the same sacrifice to get both a C7 and avoid a divorce

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped reading after your Korean purchase. Someone should sacrifice you. Lol
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
I stopped reading after your Korean purchase. Someone should sacrifice you. Lol
That was somewhat expected given the venue... I should have bought a Chevy, right?

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All for the greater good! Good luck with the Kia...
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
All for the greater good! Good luck with the Kia...
Quality on the Kia is quite high these days. Initial quality being similar to Toyota for many of their cars. I drove about 5 CUVs and the Kia felt the sportiest and most buttoned down of them all. Not to mention you got more "stuff" for the $$.

I just have to keep reminding myself that it is purely a utility vehicle and serves a purpose only (once the C7 comes)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Sometimes in life you make sacrifices to get what you want

Having 3 kids in the house and convincing my wife to let me buy a 2 seat Corvette was... well... challenging, in spite of the fact that it is rare any of the kids are in my car So we agreed that if I bought an inexpensive and practical AWD winter vehicle she would concede. Fast cars aren't fun in Canadian winters in any event so for 5 months a year having a practical, not fun car isn't a big deal (that is me trying to justify). I have been driving a Mercedes C63 coupe which is my year round daily driver. Before that were 2 E92 M3s.

Well, this past Wednesday I sold the C63 and bought a 2013 Kia Sportage Going from 482hp/443ft.lbs to 170ish HP is quite a system shock. Not to mention all of my friends and colleagues respond with "you are driving WHAT!!"

So, until the C7 arrives I will be driving the Sportage. Not a bad CUV and decent value for the $$ but I think I have lost part of my soul Anyone who says to me that I have to "prove" I'm actually going to buy a C7 again will get a slap in the head I've only had the Kia for a couple of days but I can honestly say that the C7 now can't come fast enough.

Hopefully the rest of you don't need to make the same sacrifice to get both a C7 and avoid a divorce
You made your choice based on what is good for you. Good luck and enjoy your Vette.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM
r1owner
Racer

I can relate. I had to sell my G8 GXP (only 45 made in my color) to hopefully get a C7.

At least I have a Cobalt SS to drive for now. It's a fun little car.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by r1owner
I can relate. I had to sell my G8 GXP (only 45 made in my color) to hopefully get a C7.
Hopefully? I don't think I would sell my G8 unless I knew I was getting the C7.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 AM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hopefully? I don't think I would sell my G8 unless I knew I was getting the C7.
Meh rarely drove the G8 and it was most definitely NOT a track car (although it did OK for what it was).
Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I can totally relate. I just sold my Camaro SS last weekend to make room in the garage (and wallet) for the C7. Once you give something up for the C7, it truely can't be delivered fast enough...and I'm looking at an early 2014 delivery based on where I am on the allocation list!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I can totally relate. I just sold my Camaro SS last weekend to make room in the garage (and wallet) for the C7. Once you give something up for the C7, it truely can't be delivered fast enough...and I'm looking at an early 2014 delivery based on where I am on the allocation list!
I hear you.

It really wasn't about the money it was more about trying to be "reasonable" having a 2 seat DD for 7 months of the year with 3 kids. My wife stays home so it is hardly ever the kids are in my car but it does happen from time to time. That and needing a cheap, AWD, winter beater.

My wife has been patient with my car habit (27 cars in 23 years of driving) with very little complaint or issue so when she asks for a "compromise" I try to be reasonable Having said that, every single day until the C7 arrives is like digging my eyes out with a rusty spoon.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 AM
r1owner
Racer

every single day until the c7 arrives is like digging my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

lol!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

When your C7 arrives you will understand why the choice was good Good compromise IMHO... Sold my 650 HP TWIN TURBO 2007 vette vert to hv money for new stingray, no regrets September - October cant get here soon enough
Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sacrifice . . . really . . . . good grief
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
H101
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, I can relate!!!!

Here is my Wildthing leaving the drive last week for her new home....

Gonna be a long summer
Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality on the Kia is quite high these days. Initial quality being similar to Toyota for many of their cars. I drove about 5 CUVs and the Kia felt the sportiest and most buttoned down of them all. Not to mention you got more "stuff" for the $$.

I just have to keep reminding myself that it is purely a utility vehicle and serves a purpose only (once the C7 comes)
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my mom has a 2013 kia sorento and it's good for her but it's certainly lacking power. How is the steering in the Sportage? I know in the Sorento the steering is direct but I don't really feel any "real" feedback more "artificial".
Old 05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
EOD_Tech Infidel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Months of my life in Afghanistan, possibly saying goodbye to the 2010 JSB GS, and well my soul...........yep maybe! the new vette seems amazing i am however waiting on some real world reviews

Get notified of new replies

To My sacrifice for the C7...

Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Sacrifice . . . really . . . . good grief
Yes, I suppose you are right. But, come on, going from a C63 to a Sportage has to count for some level of sacrifice!!

Last edited by gthal; 05-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my mom has a 2013 kia sorento and it's good for her but it's certainly lacking power. How is the steering in the Sportage? I know in the Sorento the steering is direct but I don't really feel any "real" feedback more "artificial".
No power.... and I mean NO power. Numb steering. The ride, however, is firm, controlled, not a lot of body roll and the car itself feels solid. I will say this, the steering and handling were better in the Sportage than the Rav4, Rogue, CRV and Equinox IMO. Power was comparable for the base models in each... well, the CRV felt quicker and the Equinox too. After driving each, the Sportage "felt" the most composed and sportiest of the group to me. Likely because of its more firm suspension which I prefer.

Remember... this is an inexpensive CUV (as is the Sorento) and it isn't intended to have the same steering feel, etc of a performance vehicle.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

No power.... and I mean NO power. Numb steering. The ride, however, is firm, controlled, not a lot of body roll and the car itself feels solid. I will say this, the steering and handling were better in the Sportage than the Rav4, Rogue, CRV and Equinox IMO. Power was comparable for the base models in each... well, the CRV felt quicker and the Equinox too. After driving each, the Sportage "felt" the most composed and sportiest of the group to me. Likely because of its more firm suspension which I prefer.

Remember... this is an inexpensive CUV (as is the Sorento) and it isn't intended to have the same steering feel, etc of a performance vehicle.
But how does it look after the Zaino?

Quick Reply: My sacrifice for the C7...