Sponsored by:

Sae hp

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
If increasing HP was their only goal you would easily see more. The Fed's and the increasing standards have a strong influence on the design goals. We can both dislike that (I know I do), but that doesn't change it.
Well like I said, I'm willing to withhold judgment until we know final performance specs (or hell, even final hp numbers, since this 465 number is still far from confirmed from what I gather), but that number is still somewhat disappointing. CAFE standards or not, with all the tech they're packing in this new gen, I would expect that they could squeeze out more than just an 8% gain.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

We should all take those curves with a grain of salt. When data is plotted on the same graph, the torque and horsepower curves for two engines should ALWAYS cross at EXACTLY the same rpm. They do not on this graph, so the graph is bogus.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:23 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Better, but I was hoping for 480+ with NPP. It just seems like with this significant improvement in tech (higher compression ratio, DI, higher revs), they should be capable of at least a modest 10% improvement.
Oh, I'm sure they are. I just think they are going to wait a few years to give it all to us
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
We should all take those curves with a grain of salt. When data is plotted on the same graph, the torque and horsepower curves for two engines should ALWAYS cross at EXACTLY the same rpm. They do not on this graph, so the graph is bogus.
C'mon... You know the new LT1 defies modern physics
Old 05-17-2013, 05:30 PM
speed_demon24
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's assuming the hp and torque graphs are on the same scale which they clearly are not in this case.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Well like I said, I'm willing to withhold judgment until we know final performance specs (or hell, even final hp numbers, since this 465 number is still far from confirmed from what I gather), but that number is still somewhat disappointing. CAFE standards or not, with all the tech they're packing in this new gen, I would expect that they could squeeze out more than just an 8% gain.
Unfortunately it's not about what they CAN do. It's about what they WILL do. And everything we've heard indicates that they have are striking a balance between great fuel economy AND power. As the other poster said, if HP was their only goal, they could easily get more. Unfortunately it is not their only goal.

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
That's assuming the hp and torque graphs are on the same scale which they clearly are not in this case.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
Unfortunately it's not about what they CAN do. It's about what they WILL do. And everything we've heard indicates that they have are striking a balance between great fuel economy AND power. As the other poster said, if HP was their only goal, they could easily get more. Unfortunately it is not their only goal.

Well what I meant by "CAFE standards or not" is that I feel like they should be able to achieve 10%+ gains AND maintain acceptable economy with the LT1. DI and higher compression are two of the few win-win improvements you can make to an engine that improve both power output and economy significantly. Then you toss in other new fuel saving tricks like AFM, and I wouldn't think it would be hard to get mileage that would be acceptable on a car like the Corvette, which won't exactly sell in HUGE volumes.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
That's when you are in econo mode

........in track mode its 505HP and 505TQ
Dreamer.

Quick Reply: Sae hp