C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is the new front end design influenced by Euro pedestrian crash laws?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Fair enough statement from you, but how about this car that also has the "fangs' but not nearly as noticeable as the C7's.

I'm not interested in the BMW but they are less noticeable. At the same time, the front of the Bimmer is, like the Lambo, quite noticeable in that it is quite broad and tall. I guess you just takes your choices. I'll tell you what I really don't like is the lamp bars at the bottom on either side of the lower grill.

I really don't know what the aero or legal properties of the C7's 'fangs' are. I do know they don't bother me like they do others.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-22-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'm not interested in the BMW but they are less noticeable. At the same time, the front of the Bimmer is, like the Lambo, quite noticeable in that it is quite broad and tall. I guess you just takes your choices. I'll tell you what I really don't like is the lamp bars at the bottom on either side of the lower grill.

I really don't know what the aero or legal properties of the C7's 'fangs' are. I do know they don't bother me like they do others.
I suspect that the shape of the "fangs" and their location is also influenced by the shape and height of the hood and front fenders and their ability to deflect drunks off to the side of the car.

Notice on this 2014 Jeep, it has no "fangs".

Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect that the shape of the "fangs" and their location is also influenced by the shape and height of the hood and front fenders and their ability to deflect drunks off to the side of the car.
Could be. But either way it still comes down to design decisions. I fail to see how 'fangs' or a large front design would help SAFELY deflect drunks or anyone else.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Lambo has the protruding "fangs" at the ends because that's where the radiator inlets are. Intuitively, we can guess this is true, as the LP570-4, which has wider air inlet also has a wider protrusion, extended toward the middle (with the inner edge mimicking the strut support of an F1 car's front wing). For the C7, it appears more to be for style and aero rather than pedestrian safety. Various cars have had lower lip protrusions probably some years before pedestrian safety legislation was considered. The F355 from '94 had it. So did the Geo Storm from at least '93 and that was catering to the North American and Japanese markets. BMWs had it on sport-packaged 5-Series around '97 and it spread throughout the range thereafter. The M3 CSL had very prominently sharp fangs:

But the standard E9x 3-Series which followed it, and which would definitely have had an eye toward pedestrian safety, did not. Cosmetically sport-packaged 3-Series and the M3 had more noticeable protrusions.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx

um thats a Mercedes not a bmw
Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf10851
um thats a Mercedes not a bmw
Why did you have to tell him. You just ruined his day.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why did you have to tell him. You just ruined his day.
lol......Sorry

Quick Reply: How much is the new front end design influenced by Euro pedestrian crash laws?