Do I need Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
See, that's the thing. It's not gonna be, at least in a straight line... and how many people are gonna run the car at a road course in such a manner to really make use of it?

Actually, if your focus is specifically straight line performance, you might consider one of the Camaro variants - imho
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I have to get magnetic ride so I have to get Z51 as well. The only component in the package I'm not enthused about is the dry sump oil system.
Why don't you like the dry sump system? I can't think of any downsides, other than additional complexity.

Michael
Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If I get a C7, I will wait until MSRC is available on the base suspension so I can compare the two. Hopefully, next year.
I want MSRC but not interested in Z51 and everything that goes with it for the street.
Nothing wrong with bigger brakes, but I don't want the Dry Sump or Bigger wheels.
Hopefully at some point, they do offer MSRC without having to get Z51
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Actually, if your focus is specifically straight line performance, you might consider one of the Camaro variants - imho
It not really just about acceleration. The car that I'm cross shopping is actually equal to or perhaps slower. It's that the stuff that comes on a Z51 car isn't stuff that the average guy driving around town is gonna make use of beyond rolling on more bling 19/20s and telling everyone about the Z51 package. In my opinion it's a waste of money for the average enthusiast on here. Better ways to spend $2800. If you want cooler wheels, there's much better choices than those 10 spokes as well. I just wish they'd have a $400 option for grey18/19s.

The single most important benchmark for the Corvette is how fast it is though. You don't hear guys sitting around talking about how they were glad they had the Z51 trans cooler and side oiler, or the car might've had trouble during that hour long run at the local road course. Sure people do track the car but it would be a very small fraction. In this case, Z51 proabably makes sense.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Actually I think that almost every C7 vert picture I've seen was a "base" and not a Z51. However, if you just want a vert for cruising, and even though the Z51 package is a good deal, why pay extra for it? Use that money for something else you want. BTW I'm sure the base will also be a great car.
I don't think I've seen a single C7 convertible WITH base wheels. Keep in mind that all the show convertibles had the dealer optional "Torque" wheels that are 5 spoke designs and kind of similar to the base wheel.

To answer the OP, no, you do not need Z51. I am sure the base car is going to be a VERY capable car, Z51 really is a track package on the C7, no question it is a GREAT deal at $2,800 but in my mind, unless you're going to track the car, it is not "needed". That said, I am sure PLENTY of Z51's will be sold that never SNIFF a track.

As far as the C7, my only disappoinment is the lack of FE4 (formally F55) availability on the base car.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Hopefully at some point, they do offer MSRC without having to get Z51
In one of the bash videos, a GMer said they were calibrating the Z51 MSRC first, then would move on to the base suspension. This makes me think the base MSRC should be available on the 2015 model.

Quick Reply: Do I need Z51?