Sponsored by:

C7 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Snakiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C7 Auto

Sorry if this has been discussed (couldn't find on search) but is the C7 auto going to be 6-sp or 7-sp?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakiller
Sorry if this has been discussed (couldn't find on search) but is the C7 auto going to be 6-sp or 7-sp?

Thanks.
6 speed at introduction.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakiller

Thanks.
6 speed for 2014.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

But not the same 6-speed auto as in the C6. Dfferent torque converter, and when using paddle shifts, shifts, in track mode, are executed 35% faster. Remembering that other than fluids and nuts, bolts and washers, only two parts carryover from the C6, there must be tons of part changes in the automatic trans also, with a resultant better trans.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
But not the same 6-speed auto as in the C6. Dfferent torque converter, and when using paddle shifts, shifts, in track mode, are executed 35% faster. Remembering that other than fluids and nuts, bolts and washers, only two parts carryover from the C6, there must be tons of part changes in the automatic trans also, with a resultant better trans.
No matter how you slice it the A6 is still an obsolete transmission. Wait a year or two when the DCT will be introduced. Or else get the 7 speed manual. That is a nice transmission.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Damn close to the C6 A6!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
No matter how you slice it the A6 is still an obsolete transmission. Wait a year or two when the DCT will be introduced. Or else get the 7 speed manual. That is a nice transmission.
Word!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Actually the ability of the A6 in the C7 will be great improvement when pressed for performance. I have seen the videos and each engineer emphasized that. That is my impression. I own a 7 speed automatic car (G37x)and I really can not tell you it is better then if it had 6. One thing is for sure, in my opinion again, the auto will change within the next 18 months. I also own a car with DCT. (GTI) and I love how it works and performs.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Actually the ability of the A6 in the C7 will be great improvement when pressed for performance. I have seen the videos and each engineer emphasized that. That is my impression. I own a 7 speed automatic car (G37x)and I really can not tell you it is better then if it had 6. One thing is for sure, in my opinion again, the auto will change within the next 18 months. I also own a car with DCT. (GTI) and I love how it works and performs.
The A6 has continually been improved over the last 8 years. It seems that each year they change the programming to make it a bit faster. While it is a good enough transmission for a small or mid-range car it is hopelessly outclassed by DCT in a sports car. GM knows this and since they could not offer a DCT for 2014 they are trotting out the same well worn phrases they used in 2004 to convince people that the A4 was all the C6 really needed. For some of you it may not matter but for others they may be quite disappointed if they get the A6.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 05-09-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I currently drive a GTI. The DSG is one helluva great transmission in that application.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm guessing dct is coming sometime in the next 3 years.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedlink
I'm guessing dct is coming sometime in the next 3 years.
Wish it would but its not gonna happen dot com
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

The A6 has continually been improved over the last 8 years. It seems that each year they change the programming to make it a bit faster. While it is a good enough transmission for a small or mid-range car it is hopelessly outclassed by DCT in a sports car. GM knows this and since they could not offer a DCT for 2014 they are trotting out the same well worn phrases they used in 2004 to convince people that the A4 was all the C6 really needed. For some of you it may not matter but for others they may be quite disappointed if they get the A6.
When the C6 came out in 05 with a A4 GM did not charge for the transmission, however, they are charging for the A6 in the C7. They also claim to be developing a 8 Speed automatic, no where have the engineers for GM stated they will be developing a DCT that will be fitted to the Corvette, nor have they came out with a time frame for the A8.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DCBE
When the C6 came out in 05 with a A4 GM did not charge for the transmission, however, they are charging for the A6 in the C7. They also claim to be developing a 8 Speed automatic, no where have the engineers for GM stated they will be developing a DCT that will be fitted to the Corvette, nor have they came out with a time frame for the A8.
Note that GM also charged for the A6 in the C6 probably to offset their development costs. Since they have resurrected the old A6 transmission for the C7 they could at least offer it at no additional cost. When the DCT comes up they can then have an upcharge for it. Don't believe any information they are not working at either purchasing or building one. The competition will force their hand.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Note that GM also charged for the A6 in the C6 probably to offset their development costs. Since they have resurrected the old A6 transmission for the C7 they could at least offer it at no additional cost. When the DCT comes up they can then have an upcharge for it. Don't believe any information they are not working at either purchasing or building one. The competition will force their hand.
I totally agree if they have another platform in the wings, they should offer the A6 as a no cost option as they did with the A4. They did state a while back they were working on a A8, however, have not seen a schedule for deployment. I do agree they should have a performance auto (DCT) but again they have not given one hint something is in the offering. I am sure they are looking at it, however, you would think if they were really going in that direction they would mention it to future buyers and the competition.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DCBE
I totally agree if they have another platform in the wings, they should offer the A6 as a no cost option as they did with the A4. They did state a while back they were working on a A8, however, have not seen a schedule for deployment. I do agree they should have a performance auto (DCT) but again they have not given one hint something is in the offering. I am sure they are looking at it, however, you would think if they were really going in that direction they would mention it to future buyers and the competition.
Nope. They are following the same playbook. Keep the info close until you have the DCT ready to sell. This way you can convince those that are waiting that the wait may be for a long time and they will purchase the A6. It worked before with the A4. No reason it won't work again.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Nope. They are following the same playbook. Keep the info close until you have the DCT ready to sell. This way you can convince those that are waiting that the wait may be for a long time and they will purchase the A6. It worked before with the A4. No reason it won't work again.
They may lose sales with that mentality.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Auto

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Never drove a car with DCT but all the magazines say it makes the manual obsolete. They say the speed of the shifts is almost imperceptible. On the other hand, I have had my A6 dyno tuned and it's pretty good the way it is. I'm almost glad I haven't driven a DCT since I might not like my current A6 at all afterward.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sam90lx
They may lose sales with that mentality.
I suspect they will. However there are enough early adopters that will buy this car in the first year even if it had a 2 speed automatic.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I suspect they will. However there are enough early adopters that will buy this car in the first year even if it had a 2 speed automatic.
Long live Powerglide!

Wikipedia reference-linkPowerglide - for those too young to know.

Quick Reply: C7 Auto