Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber roof option!!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I've read somewhere that any exposed carbon fiber is a significantly higher production cost because they must make sure the weave is properly spaced without folds or irregularities. Can you imagine how much griping there would be if someone got a CF roof where the visible pattern wasn't symmetrical? On the painted roof, they don't care if there's a fold, bend or stretch in the material.

I'm not saying this makes it worth 2k, but the value is in the eyes of the customer.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Even though the CF would look good, from past experience I would end up keeping the transparent panel on most of the time. Rather than keeping a second panel in the car taking up storage space, or leaving it behind in the garage in order to allow me driving topless, I am opting out and saving myself a couple of bucks.

My guess the C7-Z will have a bolted-on panel. I will get my CF fix then.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Its a cosmetic option. Some people like the exposed carbon look. I like the exposed carbon look as well, but i like the transparent top better. I like the see through top on a Vette.

The exposed carbon top is sup. to have a high dollar clear coat on it to protect it in sunlight from yellowing.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pony up the cost for the exposed carbon fiber if I could get the roof & hood done like the ones on the C6 Z06X Concept vehicle…

And I would like an option of exposed carbon fiber front splitter, side skirts, rear Z51 spoiler & side mirrors; and the rearend blacked out (like on the Z06X) as well…

Last edited by Boil; 05-09-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
That dosen't help me!

I buy options based on the value to me!

I also, know the painted one os CF!!

Just curious about those that would pay 2k for them not to paint it!

I don't see where it changes the look that much!?
So dont buy it and move on.

Plenty of other people love the exposed carbon look.. and I think it looks awesome on the ZR1. The exposed carbon roof that cost $2k will be have a more attractive weave pattern and a very nicely finished clearcoat on it. Because the painted one is not exposed, the CF can be put together using scraps.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 05-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 PM
J50
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

To each their own, I like the visible carbon roof....just not enough to spend the $2k.

Had the carbon roof on my E92 M3, its cool but can do without it.

I like how the transparent roof matches with the A-pillar.

Last edited by J50; 05-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why would you spend $600 to paint your calipers red?

Because you think it looks better.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

I'm getting the visible CF roof, along with black wheels and the carbon flash mirrors and spoiler (Z51, Laguna Blue). The CF will go nicely with the carbon flash vents, mirrors, spoiler and black wheels. Also getting the CF interior option to complement the CF roof. I like the contrasting vents, etc. I don't want to hide them with a dark color or make them body colored as some others do.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

On the C7, I prefer the body color roof since the B pillar behind it is also body colored. I liked the carbon roof on the C6 because it made the entire roof blend (blacked out).
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM
mfitzge5
Advanced

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Even though the CF would look good, from past experience I would end up keeping the transparent panel on most of the time. Rather than keeping a second panel in the car taking up storage space, or leaving it behind in the garage in order to allow me driving topless, I am opting out and saving myself a couple of bucks.

My guess the C7-Z will have a bolted-on panel. I will get my CF fix then.
How much heat and light does the transparent panel let in? I live in Houston and it can get very hot during the summer. My dealer said they don't sell many transparent roofs here.

I was planning to get the carbon fiber roof because I think the black color looks better than the painted roof.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mfitzge5
How much heat and light does the transparent panel let in? I live in Houston and it can get very hot during the summer. My dealer said they don't sell many transparent roofs here.

I was planning to get the carbon fiber roof because I think the black color looks better than the painted roof.
I live in Southern California and it gets quite warm here. My first C6 was black with the transparent roof. When I mentioned it recently, my wife said she hated it because it let it too much sun and she didn't like the extra heat coming off of it. I know it was hot, but never really minded it.

If I get a clear roof again, I'll get a dual roof package so that I can switch it out during the heat of summer.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
There was a similar thread not too long ago about this very topic. In case anyone is questioning the additional $2K to "not paint" the CF roof, it is because of the special clear coat additive neccessary to protect the CF from UV rays...$60,000.00 per gallon.

If someone likes the raw Carbon Fiber look, I don't think it's any more silly than spending $2K on wheels, or trim, or anything else.

Edit...not ensinuating that wheels are silly either. It's your car, make it like you want it. "If you spend your life trying to make everyone else happy, you never will be."
60K per gallon? Must be ink-jet ink.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

I had both tops on my C5 and rarely used the transparent top because the heat was too much. It was my daily driver and got parked outside while I was at work. With the built up heat and the additional heat comming in from the sun, it was difficult to get the car cooled off.

My C6 has only the solid roof.

My C7 will have the visible Carbon Fiber roof.

Never again will I have a transparent roof in Texas.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM
rjhoskins
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by harley2
Thanks, this is more what I'm looking for. Not why it cost what it does.

When I looked at one awhile back, I really didn't pay attention, as there was no option to get it on 08 Cpe.

Don't see anyone saying they plan on getting it?
I'm another one getting the CF roof. To me it just looks cool.....$2k, $3k, $4k...whatever, I WANT it
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
mfitzge5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I had both tops on my C5 and rarely used the transparent top because the heat was too much. It was my daily driver and got parked outside while I was at work. With the built up heat and the additional heat comming in from the sun, it was difficult to get the car cooled off.

My C6 has only the solid roof.

My C7 will have the visible Carbon Fiber roof.

Never again will I have a transparent roof in Texas.
Thanks for the feedback; sounds like I'm getting the Carbon Fiber roof also.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I that before spending 2K on an exposed CF roof which is essentially an apperance item I would add the mag ride and/or NPP. Or, even the two top option. Just not feelin that CF option/look.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default This...

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo
You are paying the extra 2K for the UV protected clear coat that will keep the CF from becoming brittle. The CF clear coat is very very high tech stuff.

I have purchased MANY carbon fiber pieces, aftermarket and otherwise. On my C6 I had a carbon fiber hood produced by Motor City Mold with a functional heat extracting hood. You could, as an option, have the area above the heat extractor be exposed clear carbon, for $500 more, FOR JUST THE SMALL section, EVERYONE that works with REAL carbon fiber will tell you it is much, much, more expensive to produce raw carbon fiber and clear coat it (especially with the extremely expensive UV protection that you DO need to keep it from breaking down)

2k is not unreasonable, check prices from Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, etc. I think it looks much better and is worth it. To each his own..
Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id like to see the transparent roof with the colored side spears of the optional carbon fiber roof.

To me...that would be the best of both worlds. I prefer the openness of the transparent roof.....but if the body colored spears are not available....I'll go with the stock carbon fiber roof painted body color.."

Lightweight...looks good and the additional cost is zero..

I keep the roof of most of the spring summer and fall...

Great driving experience
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

My C5 has dual roofs, and the transparent one is a fall thru spring (much like TX, you can drive a vette most of the year in MS) option, with the solid top on for summer, just because it does get hot under the clear top. It gives a nice open feel the rest of the year. At least on the C5, the top was tinted blue which went well with my Electron Blue car.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber roof option!!??