C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP - what does it give for $1200??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I think I am going to write this 100 times...in chalk..
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
jeez, you ever see what folks on the Bimmer forum do to their cars under warranty; especially the turbo cars (yes, I was one of them with a twin turbo 335 to a limited extent.)? It will really make you mad if your denied on a corvette over an air cleaner.
we'll......I was.
and because of a aftermarket K&N filter system.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Sp00ky
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If some of you guys are getting denied warranty coverage over something like a new air filter, you need to find a new dealer or put up more of a fight. On another GM vehicle I have owned, I had a full exhaust setup, intake, and a few other things. I relatively babied the car. At 40k miles, the engine blew from a stock spark plug breaking in cylinder 4. The dealer originally gave me the tab until I pulled up the magnuson act and told them to prove to me that my mods caused the spark plug to break. A couple days later, GM said they would cover it.

You shouldn't be scared to mod your car because of you warranty. You should just know what mods WILL void it such as tuning, engine work, obvious stuff. Get your C7, know your dealer, have fun with the car.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

+100

If you get warranty coverage denied over a cold-air kit, then your persuasion and negotiation skills need work.

Or like Sp00ky said, your dealer sucks and you need to find another.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
The problem with relying on the MM case is the dealer can still deny the warranty claim and then you would have to fight it. Whether you are right or wrong sometimes doesn't matter when one party has a bigger check book and isn't backing down.
this is true; but division briefs their dealers service managers on the Magnuson-Moss Act. GM doesn't want negative press either - if a bad decision is made by a dealers service department.

The decision to void the warranty is no longer in the hands of the Dealer; they can only submit a report to division - requesting the action. Higher heads look things over and they make the decision.

Most dealers simply refuse to work on the car... hoping you'll go to another dealer for the repairs.. Still; a slippery-slope for both the dealer and car owner.

But, the days of

"a Fram air filter instead of the GM filter???. That'll void the warranty"

are long gone.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,830 Posts

I have NPP on my C6 and love it. It sounds great when you start it up, and when you get on it, but it's quiet and not obnoxious when cruising on the highway or out to dinner.

The AFM issue is a good point. People with G8GTs complained about it, people with Chrysler Hemis with it complained about it, the reality is running an 8 cylinder in 4 cylinder mode sounds like crap. Adding an aftermarket exhaust typically exacerbates the issue as well, because it lets out more sound and as such, lets out more of the crappy 4 cylinder sound.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why is anyone who mods their exhaust complaining about what it will sound like in ECONOMY mode?

The only time AFM kicks on is when you're in Eco mode. It's stated directly on the Mode Matrix. AFM will only be on in Eco mode.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, don't go into Eco mode. There's no other difference between touring and Eco mode other than AFM and the color of the screen. If you put on aftermarket exhaust and still want AFM, sucks to be you. The reality is that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

/story
Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Why is anyone who mods their exhaust complaining about what it will sound like in ECONOMY mode?

The only time AFM kicks on is when you're in Eco mode. It's stated directly on the Mode Matrix. AFM will only be on in Eco mode.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, don't go into Eco mode. There's no other difference between touring and Eco mode other than AFM and the color of the screen. If you put on aftermarket exhaust and still want AFM, sucks to be you. The reality is that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

/story

very wise.. Takes technology to operate an exhaust system in Eco mode. It may be really ugly.

Quick Reply: NPP - what does it give for $1200??