Blacking Out Redux...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 AM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Blacking Out Redux...

Well, I have been searching the various websites from Corvette to Honda for info on blacking out tail light lenses and come up with opinions on Rustoleum Lens Tint and VHT Nightshade that appear to be based on nothing much at all but "it's great" ..."it sucks"...photos after application appear to be just what the doctor ordered....

I found a tail light from my old Harley and sprayed it with Rustoleum....
Quick and dirty....three coats in about two hours to see how
much light it blocked....none at all.....at least as far as I could tell...

Lens not as shiny, but certainly not matte...clearcoat perhaps? any recommendations for that?

Next step of the experiment is removing the RLT from the Harley taillight to see how easy it is....Can says use Mineral Spirits to clean the tip...does it clean the tint off as well without fogging the plastic? I have a can of Mineral Spirits laying around...or with the standard solvent Rubbing Alcohol work better?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Use Rustoleum Tint spray and a simple Rustoleoum Lacquer for glossy effect.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Ive heard others say spraying the inside of the lenses is the way to go. Then you get the effect and still have a glossy OEM exterior..
Old 05-14-2014, 02:02 PM
rgc-c7stingray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tinting Steps:

1-Spray 2 or 3 coats Tinting, I used VHT. (First coat light, 2nd and 3rd coats wet). Dry at least 15 minutes between coats.
2-Let dry for 24 hours.
3-Lightly Wet sand with 2000 grit. (Make sure it is completely smooth like glass. It will be hazed over when dried.) Use light linear motions when sanding, no circular motions.
4-Dry thoroughly with microfiber cloth.
5-Spray three to four wet coats of clear. I used Automotive Dupli-color clear. (15 minutes between coats)
6-Let dry for 24 hours
7-Lightly wet sand with 2000 grit until it is completely hazed over. If you have any gloss after sanding you still have high spots. Lightly sand using linear motions until perfectly smooth and hazy.
8-Dry thoroughly with microfiber cloth.
9-Use a good polishing wax and polish until you get a perfect smooth and glossy finish.

I've done this several times with my other vehicles and it works perfectly.
Just make sure it dries thoroughly before sanding or you will end up removing the tint.
As you may already know, beware of your local laws, because it is not legal for street use.

Last edited by rgc-c7stingray; 05-14-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rgc-c7stingray
Tinting Steps:

1-Spray 2 or 3 coats Tinting, I used VHT. (First coat light, 2nd and 3rd coats wet). Dry at least 15 minutes between coats.
2-Let dry for 24 hours.
3-Lightly Wet sand with 2000 grit. (Make sure it is completely smooth like glass. It will be hazed over when dried.) Use light linear motions when sanding, no circular motions.
5-Spray three to four wet coats of clear. I used Automotive Dupli-color clear. (15 minutes between coats)
6-Let dry for 24 hours
7-Lightly wet sand with 2000 grit until it is completely hazed over. If you have any gloss after sanding you still have high spots. Lightly sand using linear motions until perfectly smooth and hazy.
9-Use a good polishing wax and polish until you get a perfect smooth and glossy finish.

Just make sure it dries thoroughly before sanding or you will end up removing the tint.
As you may already know, beware of your local laws, because it is not legal for street use.
Wow, thanks for the detailed "how to"!

I suspect once you clearcoat it you are kinda married to it, unless that is also easy to remove? As you can tell from the question, I am not a hardcore paint/modder...just taking baby steps here....but this car begs for tweaks, like getting rid of those nasty fish on the fenders...really makes the lines much sleeker imho! I've already used RPI Design acrylic to black out the brake light and reflectors...unfortunately, no one is doing acrylic tail lights, except possibly some sketchy Florida company that has been soliciting pre-orders since last year and promising to ship in 3-4 weeks every time someone who pre-ordered asks when they can expect their goods...

I'm thinking of just starting out spraying a few coats of tint, not real dark, and seeing how I, and the local cops, like it....If too much hassle, will just remove it and see if the Z06 "reveal" tail lights are actually made available for purchase, or were just some GM guy doing what you did!

If the test drives go well, will use your recipe...Thanks!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Tinting Steps:
I wonder exactly where the law stands on this. If the reflectors on the rear bumper weren't blacked out, and the light output on the taillights were still bright, would you not be compliant?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:23 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I wonder the same thing. Do they use some actual tool to confirm if the lights are not sufficient?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Some states have a zero tolerance for tinting tail lamp lenses. So do some research before you go through the hassle for your state.

You can remove that stuff with gasoline
Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I guess my questions is more along the lines is it illegal to have lenses that are not visually red when NOT illuminated? I do not want to tint the illumination. I want to change the un-illuminated appearance color.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 PM
DLWIGGINS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tinting Steps:

2-Let dry for 24 hours.
6-Let dry for 24 hours

Yeah what he said . Ive used VHT for years on my Harleys and my cars using this process. VHT alone has a glossier finish than Rustoleum. Their paints are good quality as well (for a rattle can).

Get notified of new replies

To Blacking Out Redux...

Quick Reply: Blacking Out Redux...