Sponsored by:

Is MSRC an essential option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Is MSRC an essential option?

If you plan to order a lightly optioned Z51 car and plan to track 3-5 days a year, is MSRC an essential option? Is it really needed since the car comes with driver select mode? If you had to pick between the MSRC and competition seats which would you pick?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,332 Likes on 1,986 Posts

MSCR is a must have for me, more so because of it's real world benefits vs just the added benefit on track day. The ability to have your cake and eat it too make the MSCR equipped Z51 a great street ride/track car.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe if you have MSRC, then there are more parameters being manipulated when using different driver select modes; so, yes, MSRC might just be an essential for best usage of the different modes.

I am now envisioning the transformation the driver select mode would do on the (rumored) L88 engine option when one switches into Track mode…!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Tannman
Racer

Originally Posted by JockItch
MSCR is a must have for me, more so because of it's real world benefits vs just the added benefit on track day. The ability to have your cake and eat it too make the MSCR equipped Z51 a great street ride/track car.
It will be a big plus for spirited driving!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

During the Bash, I was convinced that F55 was the optimal suspension package for a C7. Look at the extra area available for damping in the picture. And valve adjustable shocks don't adjust while you are driving. You have to pit the car and tweak the settings. [IMG][/IMG]

The other option I was convinced to buy is the comp seats, to be able to put a harness (or two) in the car. The C7 is going to be a great track car, and you will need the extra margin of safety a five or six point harness will give.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

If I had plenty of money, I'd spring for those shocks. 1800 isn't that much compared to how much they used to cost, and from what I've heard the new ones are pretty badass.

They said there are now much bigger differences in each setting etc so you can really tell a difference.

Anyone know how long the MR shocks have been lasting the last few years?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by VADanno
The other option I was convinced to buy is the comp seats, to be able to put a harness (or two) in the car. The C7 is going to be a great track car, and you will need the extra margin of safety a five or six point harness will give.
I noticed that there are pass throughs with the stock seats. Will the harness work for the stock seats as well?

It's a tough decision for me because I don't have the luxury of having the MSRC's and competition seats. I would need to pick one or the other.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned. but, how are you going to use the Corvette? remember that these options have intended uses, unless you just want options because they are the cool thing to have.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on the fence as well, but money is my biggest problem as i'm trying to make a responsible choice on options. One thing about the MSRC's is that it can be VERY comfortable for daily driving, then VERY stiff and sport-like for track use.... it sounds like a dream. I would much rather have the shocks than the seats.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,332 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I'm on the fence as well, but money is my biggest problem as i'm trying to make a responsible choice on options. One thing about the MSRC's is that it can be VERY comfortable for daily driving, then VERY stiff and sport-like for track use.... it sounds like a dream. I would much rather have the shocks than the seats.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert
If I had plenty of money, I'd spring for those shocks. 1800 isn't that much compared to how much they used to cost, and from what I've heard the new ones are pretty badass.

They said there are now much bigger differences in each setting etc so you can really tell a difference.

$1800 is the cost of the system upgrade. What you are talking about is the replacement cost for the shocks. It's still very expensive, but they should be good for 100,000 miles. Very few instances of failure. Also, you will have a warranty.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
$1800 is the cost of the system upgrade. What you are talking about is the replacement cost for the shocks. It's still very expensive, but they should be good for 100,000 miles. Very few instances of failure. Also, you will have a warranty.
Also you will have a warranty....for only 36 months or 36,000 miles, which ever occurs first.

My LS7 should also be good for 100,000 miles. Ask me why I'm going to spend $5000 for new heads as soon as the factory warranty runs out(and I will have less than 30,000 miles on the LS7 at that time).

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu
I noticed that there are pass throughs with the stock seats. Will the harness work for the stock seats as well?

It's a tough decision for me because I don't have the luxury of having the MSRC's and competition seats. I would need to pick one or the other.
Buy the MSRC's when you get the car. You also get the upgraded traction control with the MSRC option. It's not just rear traction for acceleration. It works on all four wheels to improve your lap times.

You can add a track seat much easier than try to tweak your suspension. I would expect Sparco or another manufacturer will put something together to bolt in to the C7. If I can't get the price point down, the seat is the first option I pitch. But I have two Recaro seats sitting in the attic right now, so all I need is an adapter base. They have a ton of hot laps, but look almost as good as new (except where the roll cage wore a hole in the fabric on the seat back).
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As far as the $1,995 Competition Sport Seat option, I can't see that it would be worthwhile unless you plan on installing a set of 5-point safety harnesses in your car.

From what I understand, a 5-point system is what these optional seats were made for, and a 5-point harness will not fit in the standard AQ9 "GT" seats found as standard equipment.

Basically, if your not installing a 5-point harness, your wasting your money.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VADanno
Buy the MSRC's when you get the car. You also get the upgraded traction control with the MSRC option. It's not just rear traction for acceleration. It works on all four wheels to improve your lap times.

You can add a track seat much easier than try to tweak your suspension. I would expect Sparco or another manufacturer will put something together to bolt in to the C7. If I can't get the price point down, the seat is the first option I pitch. But I have two Recaro seats sitting in the attic right now, so all I need is an adapter base. They have a ton of hot laps, but look almost as good as new (except where the roll cage wore a hole in the fabric on the seat back).
Yep. I think 1800 isn't too bad for what you are getting, I'm thinking it used to cost 2-3k depending on year, maybe that was c5 days. I guess with the c6 you couldn't get them without the z07 package?

Anyway, getting the PTM only with the MR shocks makes it almost a must for me....if I had the money to buy one lol
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
As far as the $1,995 Competition Sport Seat option, I can't see that it would be worthwhile unless you plan on installing a set of 5-point safety harnesses in your car.

From what I understand, a 5-point system is what these optional seats were made for, and a 5-point harness will not fit in the standard AQ9 "GT" seats found as standard equipment.

Why wouldn't they work with a harness? I've never used one but aren't the "holes" big enough to use??
Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
H101
Pro

Originally Posted by jdhommert

I have 85,000 miles on my 2005 with MR shocks... and they are on my C7 order (Night Race Blue... ordered in January...)

Get notified of new replies

To Is MSRC an essential option?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Hopper67
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA

THIS!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no hole in the bottom of the competition seat so you can't install a proper 5 point harness anyways.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
RLCullum
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Default MSRC is more necessary if not tracking it daily

Heard an interview with an engineer who said that the MSRC made the track mode "slightly stiffer", but made the touring mode "much, much softer". He stated that it made the Z51 the "ultimate no-compromise" car. That changed my mind. Originally was not getting it, but now added it to the Z51.

Quick Reply: Is MSRC an essential option?