No CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by pewter99
yes it is and how the hell do you find anything???? that must be why everytime I go to the gym I see half the people staring at their damn iPod searching for music instead of working out..
"Siri, play little red corvette"

And then your iPhone plays the song you requested
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizzle86
Buy higher quality MP3s. IE don't buy MP3s with a bit rate of 128 Kbps or less
Bitrate on iTunes etc...: 256kbps

Bitrate from any CD using lossless compression: ~700-1200kbps, depending on complexity of the song...

i.e. mp3s bought online suck when you have a really good sound system

therefore, I rip my own mp3s

Last edited by mdiiulio; 04-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Then you have the apps you can download. Iheart, Pandora, TuneIn, Sirius (there are more but these are the ones I have) sync up the blue tooth and you're set! Heck I rarely listen to the actual radio and when I do I use the phone app for that.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
Bitrate on iTunes etc...: 256kbps

Bitrate from any CD using lossless compression: ~700-1200kbps, depending on complexity of the song...

i.e. mp3s bought online suck when you have a really good sound system

therefore, I rip my own mp3s
Yep. my fully lossless stuff (which I have a different storage device for) run about 600 megs per cd on average.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I use iTunes Match which allows me to access my entire music library without having to copy all of the music to a device. You can stream it over the Internet or store the music on a device if you want. http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MP3 players and all I do find it odd the C7 has no CD player. Most all new cars in the C7s price bracket today still have them.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can figure out how to post on Corvette Forum.

Then you can figure out how to rip a CD to an USB thumbdrive. Or how to put your entire CD collection on an iPod/mp3 player.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
It's REALLY easy to rip your CDs onto a USB stick. You can fit a good 100 CDs on a small USB stick.
Dude, I have NO IDEA what you just said LOL.

I've heard of this new technology before of course, my friend's kids have these little ipod thingies in all different colors and such, but I still cannot figure out how they got ALL of those CDs to fit into that tiny/thin little contraption.

All kidding aside, I really did want to see a single/in dash CD player in the C7 and I guess I shouldn't be all that shocked that it doesn't have one.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Yeah the deletion of Cd players has been coming for a while now.

I wish I had sprung for a more expensive aftermarket unit in my C4, so I could have had a touch screen setup instead of one that had a CD player in it. Ah well thems the breaks I guess.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

My GTI has a 16 GB HDD as well as a single disk CD player. Perfect combo IMO. I am still old school enough to buy all my music on CDs, but then I rip them to my computer and put them on the HDD. Lets me control the bitrate, still have the original "hardcopy" if I have a computer problem, plus I can get my entire CD library onto the HDD in my car. Also, if I want to listen to a brand new CD before I've ripped it, I still can do that.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that the Vette doesn't have one, given the age of most owners.

Does anyone know if the C7 will at least have a hard drive that can store music, maybe with the nav system? I don't want some clunky interface to an ipod or phone if I can avoid it. I'd rather have the clunky interface built-in!

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 04-29-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arctic stingray
Ok, here's what they list is standard:

AM/FM/SIRIUSXM® MP3 RDS Audio with USB/SD card input and input jack

No CD player in the C7?
Unfortunately the move to quantity at the expense of quality. Most say they can't hear the difference between cd's and the latest formats. Unfortunately for me , I can . The difference is compression . After experiencing a high end cd player through a discreet component amplifier, the new formats are unlistenable . [There is a reason people will still pay very high prices for vacuum tube amplifiers for their home stereos and guitars] . If you really need 10,000 songs in your pocket , it's great , but I question the trade offs .
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw7
I guess I'm the exception here but I use the MP3 disc player all the time in my C6 and Prius and the twelve disc changer in my C5. I have about 9000 MP3's on my computers and tons of home burned CD's and MP3 discs. I don't own an MP3 Player and never wanted one. The only time I play music is in my cars and sometimes on the computer when I'm doing work on it. I would certainly miss the multiple disc players in the cars.
I definitely want a 6-cd changer. You can burn about 120 songs on each disc (192kbs) for a total of 720. All the music I'll need, then add XMSIRIUS and I'm good. Don't need that Apple proprietary crap. I just tap from my 1200 CD library collected over 30 years.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Turbo, I don't have an ipod and I have an mp3 player

There's more out there than apple.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
arctic stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by REVAK
Unfortunately the move to quantity at the expense of quality. Most say they can't hear the difference between cd's and the latest formats. Unfortunately for me , I can . The difference is compression . After experiencing a high end cd player through a discreet component amplifier, the new formats are unlistenable . [There is a reason people will still pay very high prices for vacuum tube amplifiers for their home stereos and guitars] . If you really need 10,000 songs in your pocket , it's great , but I question the trade offs .
I agree. Who needs 10,000 songs and I prefer the quality sound of a CD. Plus Sirius/XM is no longer just songs all day, so I need to have my CD's ready.
(I have a 2013 Raptor and it still has the CD with USB/MP3.)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
yes it is and how the hell do you find anything???? that must be why everytime I go to the gym I see half the people staring at their damn iPod searching for music instead of working out..
at least MyLink has voice command. On the last POS Malibu I had as a rental it worked remarkably well. As awful as sat radio sounds quality wise, it will be probably high bit rate music off a thumb drive or HD radio for me most of the time (what I listen to most of the time now). Pandora is nice if I'm out of range of my home HD stations.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

I agree. Who needs 10,000 songs and I prefer the quality sound of a CD. Plus Sirius/XM is no longer just songs all day, so I need to have my CD's ready.
(I have a 2013 Raptor and it still has the CD with USB/MP3.)
Really love the Raptor! I just couldn't buy a Ford. But that Raptor is nice. I ended up getting a 2012 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 and throwing a 7.5 inch lift and etc on it...and it had a CD Player until I ripped out the whole audio system
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

and a great turntable and vinyl records. The sound cannot be matched today.

Get notified of new replies

To No CD player?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM
arctic stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Really love the Raptor! I just couldn't buy a Ford. But that Raptor is nice. I ended up getting a 2012 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 and throwing a 7.5 inch lift and etc on it...and it had a CD Player until I ripped out the whole audio system
Thanks, we love it too! It definitely is quality inside and out. As far as trucks go, we've always had Fords. But we did see a really nice jacked up Silverado the other day.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks, we love it too! It definitely is quality inside and out. As far as trucks go, we've always had Fords. But we did see a really nice jacked up Silverado the other day.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,055 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I agree in general about sound quality, in fact, I bought all I could on SACD, as CDs sound compressed or "digital" to me. With that said, what we are talking about here is an automobile system built with compromises due to location, sizes and cost of components. More importantly, the environment is competing with tire, exhaust, engine, and wind noises. While I imagine there are some people that can still tell the difference between lossless and 256Kbps in that environment with that equipment, it will be much harder to do so, and less important because the sound is corrupt with all the background noise anyway. The sound advantages to a CD are just about gone in that environment, and is irrelevant for probably 99.8% of the people at that point. I'm ok that none is included. I'm not sure I ever used the CD player in the C6 with the low cost of high capacity mp3 players. I do rip my own mp3s from CDs though.

Quick Reply: No CD player?