Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Damage on Leather Wrapped Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Sun Damage on Leather Wrapped Dash?

Will order C7 soon. Considering Kalahari 3LT interior (no suede).

I believe this will extend the leather to the upper dash. My concern is its long term durability in the sun. My car will spend a lot of time under the sun. My other GM products with synthetic dash materials have held up very well. But I've never owned a car with leather on the upper dash.

Any thoughts / experience? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Will order C7 soon. Considering Kalahari 3LT interior (no suede).

I believe this will extend the leather to the upper dash. My concern is its long term durability in the sun. My car will spend a lot of time under the sun. My other GM products with synthetic dash materials have held up very well. But I've never owned a car with leather on the upper dash.

Any thoughts / experience? Thanks.
I cannot answer your real question, but if it were I, I would make sure I keep the dash well conditioned with a top of the line product. I use Adams and they sell an excellent Leather conditioner. Also I would keep the car covered or at least a windshield shade to keep the UV's off the dash and tint the side and back window. If not the dash will be your least concern if it is going to see a lot of direct sun.

I live in Florida and that is what most people do to protect their cars interior, at least those that care about there car. Down here the sun will destroy the interior in a few years if not taken care of.

Also if you new members would complete your profile completely, so we know were in teh country you live it helps sometimes.

Last edited by BWF07; 04-25-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks. I'll update that profile.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

Buy a nice car cover and use it. If you wont make that effort than you probably dont really care all that much.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by SD1
Buy a nice car cover and use it. If you wont make that effort than you probably dont really care all that much.
A good car cover is one of the best defenses, but you cannot always use it. I never like putting it on when I drove my Corvette back and forth to work. Unless the car is perfectly clean you run the risk of get the fine scratches in the paint. Again, not knowing the location of teh OP, it is hard to say.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

Says he is near LA, California. Pretty common to see car covers here in socal. If you get a good cover and your car is washed and waxed, scratches from the cover are a myth.

Saying it is inconvenient to cover it is equivocating that you dont really care that much. If that is the case, dont get the leather dash, or accept that it might not be perfect 10 years from now.

Get notified of new replies

To Sun Damage on Leather Wrapped Dash?

Quick Reply: Sun Damage on Leather Wrapped Dash?