Magnetic ride control

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
One other thing I'll tell you what I have been "told"... the MRC suspension is also better at keeping the car stable through rough sections or roads and in corners. If you are tracking the car on anything less than a smooth road course, this may be relevant to you. Others who have MRC cars can confirm but I was told this by some folks who have experienced it.
Yes, I have it and that is the beauty of the MRC.
There is no on/off switch, which seems to be a belief/ misconception, because the shocks do not work without the electrical current going through them.
The Fluid in the shocks has metal particles in it and that's what reacts to the electrical current.
There's always an electrical current going to the shocks and the switch for Tour or Sport, is simply 2 "different" settings which change the intensity of the way the shocks react .
But in either setting it's still Not just a static high or low setting.
It senses the road/tire/body movement in Milliseconds and the intensity of the electrical current changes accordingly.
Depending on which setting the switch is in, the signal will dictate the intensity of the electrical current within the parameters of either Tour or Sport
That's were the softer or stiffer ride comes in.

But, ..in either Mode it still "Modulates" for road conditions

It is also programmed (Factory) to different logarithms/parameters in different vehicles.
My 09 Coupe with MRC/F55 for example is programmed differently than a Z06 with MRC/F55 etc
But regardless of that, as I mentioned, the shocks are Not Static, as in only Soft or only Stiff.

On smooth roads they may be in a somewhat relaxed state, with low current, but with any change in road conditions, the intensity of the current changes instantly depending on what is needed to dampen/control the ride/vehicle.
And the shocks are modulated / react independently of each other depending on what each wheel is sensing in road contact.
I may not be explaining this Scientifically, but it's basically how it works.

There's an exit I take near me when getting on the highway.
The tar is rippled/ wavy from all the traffic, .. like a carpet shoved against a wall.
Knowing it's like that I usually go a little slow getting on the exit and the ride is a bit bouncy.
One time I took it a lot faster than usual and was pleasantly surprised how Smooth and Stable the car was going over that rough surface
There was hardly any body movement and the car did not skitter at all.
It actually rode and handled better going faster over that rough section of road.

Well worth the money IMO
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't have one without it. We love it.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

A must have.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Yes it's reliable and in the c7 I would definiteLy Oder it.

Should be well worth the less than 2000 dollar cost. We will know pricing next week I believe but for me?

I'd do z51 then MRC, then NPP as the top three options to buy and in that order.

If nothing else those three are mandatory for me personally.

Best riding best handling and well worth the cost...whatever it might be. I believe those three are the focal point of design in the new c7.

Hope this helps and just an opinion

Really the difference between the stiff and lax modes will be barely noticeable. But the more you drive the car, the more you notice it.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

It's interesting how the discussion has shifted since the F55( magnetic shock suspension) first came out at the end of the C5 production & continued on, with refinements, thru the C6 production & will be available on the C7. Finally, seems like it took forever, helped no doubt by it being standard on the the ZR1 & available on all other C6's, that most have come to appreciate how great it is and aren't fretting over the very reasonable upcharge for what you get. Also, for most, shock replacement cost is not a big deal. My Caddy CTS-V sedan has it, & it is just as fabulous on it as it is on vettes. As you can see by the overwhelming positive responses to your query about reliability & cost being worth it, they think the F55 is the way to go.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
It's interesting how the discussion has shifted since the F55( magnetic shock suspension) first came out at the end of the C5 production & continued on, with refinements, thru the C6 production & will be available on the C7. ...
It is interesting. I haven't seen one post in the C7 section proclaim that if MSRC was for performance, it would be a "Z" option, not an "F" option.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 AM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I own a 13 ZL1 with the third gen MRC which also has the electric power steering. The difference between Tour and Sports is very noticeable as are the 5 different PTM modes (wet driving to track mode). I love it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 AM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
It is interesting. I haven't seen one post in the C7 section proclaim that if MSRC was for performance, it would be a "Z" option, not an "F" option.
I wonder if GM will chose to not use MRC on the C7 "track model" and offer a similar shock set up used on the upcoming Z/28?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Finally, seems like it took forever, helped no doubt by it being standard on the the ZR1 & available on all other C6's
The key here is the generation of MSRC. The first generation of it, as found in the late C5s and early C6s wasn't really up to the task of track use. It's why GM never offered it on the higher performance versions of either C5 or C6 (ie: the Z06). Ferrari licensed the first gen MSRC from GM for their 599, and when it was tested on the track by one of the magazines, it ended... poorly. The dampers basically overheated.

Gen 2 of the system was first outfitted on the ZR1 and CTS-V. It was this generation of the system that GM felt ready to attack the track with. Continual refinements to the Gen 2 version of the system allowed for the addition of the unbeatable PTM in the ZR1, and then later in the ZL1 Camaro.

Speaking of which, the ZL1 has the third generation of the MSRC, which is what the C7 will have. There's no reason to believe that between Gen 2 and Gen 3 the system has somehow degraded or gotten worse. I'm quite sure it's done nothing but improve.

jas
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Stingray81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
The key here is the generation of MSRC. The first generation of it, as found in the late C5s and early C6s wasn't really up to the task of track use. It's why GM never offered it on the higher performance versions of either C5 or C6 (ie: the Z06). Ferrari licensed the first gen MSRC from GM for their 599, and when it was tested on the track by one of the magazines, it ended... poorly. The dampers basically overheated.

Gen 2 of the system was first outfitted on the ZR1 and CTS-V. It was this generation of the system that GM felt ready to attack the track with. Continual refinements to the Gen 2 version of the system allowed for the addition of the unbeatable PTM in the ZR1, and then later in the ZL1 Camaro.

Speaking of which, the ZL1 has the third generation of the MSRC, which is what the C7 will have. There's no reason to believe that between Gen 2 and Gen 3 the system has somehow degraded or gotten worse. I'm quite sure it's done nothing but improve.

jas
Excellent post.

If anything, getting MSRC on the C7 will allow you to have the PTM programming which is a huge feature in itself. Combining computer programming and magnetic self adjusting dampening will give the best traction and performance for a high HP RWD system. I wouldn't do anything else unless it had AWD.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
corvette77
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The magnetic ride is great, and does a good job. However, when it comes time to replace the shocks, not so much

I do not frequent the C6 forum much, but I would check and see how many of those buyers are replacing the shocks with the magnetic ones, or going to something else.

I know that personally for me, I just replaced mine (generation 1) with Bilsteins because I wasn't going to fork over that much money for something I rarely use.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Absolute!

It began on the ZR1 being a key in eating up Porsches; and ended in the ZR1 being the key in eating up the new SRT!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If the area you live and drive in has poorly maintained roads or the car is your daily driver it is probably worth it. If you are lucky to have smooth roads and use your car only as a weekend toy I don't think its worth the money.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 PM
WantaC7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
If the area you live and drive in has poorly maintained roads or the car is your daily driver it is probably worth it. If you are lucky to have smooth roads and use your car only as a weekend toy I don't think its worth the money.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by red guy
does it woth the extra money for it?? is it reliable??
Ferrari licenses the technology for use in most (all?) of their street cars. I think they know a bit about high performance suspension technology...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mt C5 had it, and my C6 does not... My C7 will

Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray81
Excellent post.

If anything, getting MSRC on the C7 will allow you to have the PTM programming which is a huge feature in itself. Combining computer programming and magnetic self adjusting dampening will give the best traction and performance for a high HP RWD system. I wouldn't do anything else unless it had AWD.
PTM is one of the most overlooked advantages on the track in the history of amature motorsports,in my opinion.

For some reason I can't get the link to embed. Please,please Google:
"PTM How it works" for an amazing video.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic ride control

Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by redzone
PTM is one of the most overlooked advantages on the track in the history of amature motorsports,in my opinion.
Amateurs? It makes professionals faster.

jas
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm ordering it with mine. The best handling C7 will be equipped with Magnetic Ride. Look at the order guide, when you order magnetic ride you get option B4Z- Performance Traction management (included and only available with FE4). If GM gets the programming right, the C7 should work very well on the track (improvement on ZL1 and ZR1 electronics).

The improved ride in tour mode is another benifit. If it's under $2K, it will be a great deal.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I will more than likely be skipping this feature do to price, and the weight added from the Z51. Does anyone know if the Base Stringray will come with a "SoftRide" package like the Base C6?

Quick Reply: Magnetic ride control