Sponsored by:

Paying MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Paying MSRP

How long do you expect Dealers to get MSRP on the C7 until they start bargaining? One month – six months – One year. Since only certain dealers will even receive the C7, how long would you expect before the pipeline is filled and inventory starts building? Something tells me the C7 may be in great demand for a long time and I may need to renew my Protection Plan on my 09 because I do not plan on paying MSRP. The other side of this coin is how long will people be willing to pay MSRP.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember the C5 was a few years. I don't remember the C6 but it was probably similar. The horrible economy right now will work to your advantage. So it's anybody's guess.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As has been evidenced by countless Threads discussing and debating this topic, frankly everyone has an opinion and no one knows. It's a new generation car in a new economy with limited dealership availability for some initial period.

Without a tested and proved crystal ball, the answer is "however long they can"
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

Give it a year. It will also depend on the demand for the car. I remember buying my 06 coupe back in 06 for $4000 off MSRP.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
As has been evidenced by countless Threads discussing and debating this topic, frankly everyone has an opinion and no one knows. It's a new generation car in a new economy with limited dealership availability for some initial period.

"frankly everyone has an opinion and no one knows."

Hoping that some opinions may be based on history of previous Corvette introductions.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

The problem in looking at past history, is their never was an economy like we've been in for this many years. That's the unknown territory. The demand will be there for sure, but how long until dealerships start to bargain might be around the time GM opens it up to all dealerships instead of the original 900. SO my guess is 9 months or so after production starts. But if you wait that long, you will be on the boarder of the 2015 model year. Food for thought....
Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why is it people say things like "I don't plan on paying MSRP" like it's some kind of horrible sin to not have the ability to bargain below what the manufacturer says the price should be. I find this so strange.

Sure, everyone likes a bargain but really... what is this obsession with price all the time? Is the car just not worth what Chevy says it should be?

And, what does "not paying under MSRP" really mean? Is $100 less enough for you? Or $500 is the minimum you'll accept? How about 5 grand off?

Or, is it some kind of mind game between you and the dealer. If it's a game --- believe me -- the dealer is still laughing all the way to the bank one way or the other.

Why not ask "how long will it take until I can get one for 5 grand off?" That would be a more sensible question because at least there is a goal rather than "less than MSRP" -- which could mean anything. A dollar is less than MSRP.

If the dealer asks ABOVE MSRP --- sure, that should be bargained with immediately and hopefully removed or replaced by a more sensible dealer. But, below MSRP -- how much below does it have to be to make you want to buy this car?

I don't get the fascination with "the art of the deal".
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Why is it people say things like "I don't plan on paying MSRP" like it's some kind of horrible sin to not have the ability to bargain below what the manufacturer says the price should be. I find this so strange.

Sure, everyone likes a bargain but really... what is this obsession with price all the time? Is the car just not worth what Chevy says it should be?

And, what does "not paying under MSRP" really mean? Is $100 less enough for you? Or $500 is the minimum you'll accept? How about 5 grand off?

Or, is it some kind of mind game between you and the dealer. If it's a game --- believe me -- the dealer is still laughing all the way to the bank one way or the other.

Why not ask "how long will it take until I can get one for 5 grand off?" That would be a more sensible question because at least there is a goal rather than "less than MSRP" -- which could mean anything. A dollar is less than MSRP.

If the dealer asks ABOVE MSRP --- sure, that should be bargained with immediately and hopefully removed or replaced by a more sensible dealer. But, below MSRP -- how much below does it have to be to make you want to buy this car?

American car dealers created this "art of the deal" environment, not buyers. And many high ticket items follow in the routine of listed price versus actual negotiated price - boats, homes, planes, jewelry, certainly cars & motorcycles, etc.

As a buyer, no one gets what they deserve on these high dollar purchases, they get what they negotiate
Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The simple answer is, go back to your high school economics class. its a simple equation, as long as demand is bigger than supply, there will be no pricing pressure. when demand slows, the pressure to move product sets in and the market adjusts.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Chance42
Pro

Originally Posted by Sin City

I'm one of the below MSRP guys, for me I'd say around 4 grand-5 grand off. Why? Just general history with the last few generations of Corvettes. I'm 28, I still have a lot of things I'd like to go do/see and being financially smart is more important to me than being the first on the block to allow me to do and see those things. For the older buyers or those more financially well off I can understand the time is > money aspect. So with the last few generations resale value tanking after the first couple of years, it makes more financial sense to me, to try and obtain what I feel is a good deal. MSRP isn't a good deal, to me, but to others that the time is more important I can understand it being a good deal to them.

It's all relevant right now as to what is more important to you, time or money? Can I afford it? Sure if the price is near the c6 msrp.. I could pay cash, but I'm not dipping into my investments to buy a car. I'm aware that 99.9% of vehicle purchases are not an investment, but I also would like to find a balance between an acceptable purchase price for myself and what the resale value will be when I decide to move on to a new vehicle.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Give it a year. It will also depend on the demand for the car. I remember buying my 06 coupe back in 06 for $4000 off MSRP.
I doubt it will be that long. I bought an 05 Convertible in February 2005 - 6 months after start of production with GMS pricing.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
I remember the C5 was a few years. I don't remember the C6 but it was probably similar. The horrible economy right now will work to your advantage. So it's anybody's guess.
I remember buying a new C5 in the summer of 1997(they went into production in January 1997), for $1,000 under MSRP.

And I special ordered it and got exactly the color/options I wanted. When the car arrived at the dealer in November, he had 5 new Corvettes on the floor and only three were sold. The reason it took 4 months to get my C5 built, was because the painted tops were on constraint until the middle of August, and then the Sports Seats and the performance axle went on constraint until the first part of October, 1997. Once the options I wanted were not constrained, my order flew through. I could have purchased a C5 during the summer at a $1,000 discount, except I couldn't find a Light Carmine red metallic red with a painted top in stock anywhere. In June 1997, I could have taken a Green one that Bud's had in stock for $1,500 under MSRP, but not a color I would be happy driving, so I passed on that C5. If I had wanted Torch Red, there were plenty of C5's available at a discount.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-19-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Old buckeye
How long do you expect Dealers to get MSRP on the C7 until they start bargaining? One month – six months – One year. Since only certain dealers will even receive the C7, how long would you expect before the pipeline is filled and inventory starts building? Something tells me the C7 may be in great demand for a long time and I may need to renew my Protection Plan on my 09 because I do not plan on paying MSRP. The other side of this coin is how long will people be willing to pay MSRP.
GM has announced that they are balancing the line for 18 an hour. That's the build rate back in the 35,000 annually for the C5 and the C6. At that rate, they will produce ~17,000 C7's in the first 6 months of production. Do you really believe that the 900 dealers will sell 17,000 in the first 6 months? Some dealers will hold out with their pricing, but most will starting getting pretty aggressive.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM has announced that they are balancing the line for 18 an hour. That's the build rate back in the 35,000 annually for the C5 and the C6. At that rate, they will produce ~17,000 C7's in the first 6 months of production. Do you really believe that the 900 dealers will sell 17,000 in the first 6 months? Some dealers will hold out with their pricing, but most will starting getting pretty aggressive.

Actually 17000/900 = only 18.9 cars per dealership on average need to be sold to exhaust that supply. When you consider that some of the dealers have over 100 cars allotted to them while some only a few, I think that each dealer on average selling 18 to 19 cars in that six-month period is rather likely. Sales may significantly slow after that initial surge, but I just sense that it may be well over a year, perhaps more before the supply outstrips the demand.

But I also sense, that at some point, it will. I suspect that probably 12 to 18 months from now, cars will be discounted below MSRP and those who are waiting will be happy. And, by the way, when I say below MSRP, I mean significantly below. I'm not talking about the $4-$500 or $1000 discounts...more like $4000-5000 when you're talking about a $50-$70,000 car.

Last edited by Rad22; 04-19-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Cliff358
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that if you want to custom order it you're going to have to pay MSRP (or very close to it). The dealer is not going to "cut you a deal" as you put it. He has no reason to do so. I don't like paying MSRP but I will if that is what it takes for me to get exactly the car I want instead of settling for whatever is on the lot.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rad22
Actually 17000/900 = only 18.9 cars per dealership on average need to be sold to exhaust that supply. When you consider that some of the dealers have over 100 cars allotted to them while some only a few, I think that each dealer on average selling 18 to 19 cars in that six-month period is rather likely. Sales may significantly slow after that initial surge, but I just sense that it may be well over a year, perhaps more before the supply outstrips the demand.

But I also sense, that at some point, it will. I suspect that probably 12 to 18 months from now, cars will be discounted below MSRP and those who are waiting will be happy. And, by the way, when I say below MSRP, I mean significantly below. I'm not talking about the $4-$500 or $1000 discounts...more like $4000-5000 when you're talking about a $50-$70,000 car.
My point is that if one believes that there will be no discounting on the first 17,000, then that person will not want to try and haggle for a discounted price.

That mindset does not do the consumer any favors.

Going into the dealer and trying to get the best price you can is much better then going in and meekly accepting any price they throw at you.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
HamsHall
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow i love new cars

since I'm 17 I've been able to get a new car every 39 - 42 months.

having said that my last buy was the best. I was buying a 2012 special edition miata , and I'll never forget this: the sales manager
said to me, your all caught up in what I own the car for, so I'll make it easy for ya. I own the car for 10K, so what do you want to pay for it ?

hehe that's a game changer

Get notified of new replies

To Paying MSRP

Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yes, they will sell them. Do the math. 17,000/900 = 18 per dealership over 6 months = 3 per month? Come on they can sell 3 per week....
Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

From what I have read on the various threads there are a number of dealers within the first 900 that will be selling these cars at MSRP....the question comes up what about the forum dealers. If they also are selling at MSRP there will be competition from local dealers who will match the forum dealer prices....thus I believe our forum dealers will have to be below MSRP to attract the nationwide buyers. Yes the forum dealers will have the large allocations but a lot of customers given their choice would rather wait and buy local given prices will be similar. So I think the discounts will come sooner than later.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 PM
WantaC7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff358
Keep in mind that if you want to custom order it you're going to have to pay MSRP (or very close to it). The dealer is not going to "cut you a deal" as you put it. He has no reason to do so. I don't like paying MSRP but I will if that is what it takes for me to get exactly the car I want instead of settling for whatever is on the lot.
I woundered about that, would it not be and easy few grand if you walk in with exactly what you want and they sell it to you for 2k over invoice, all they have to do is spend the time to put the order in and wait for it to arrive, then they will have a very happy customer and another Corvette to add to there sold list.

Quick Reply: Paying MSRP