Sponsored by:

Question on Napa Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question on Napa Leather?

I am ordering a Cyber Gray with black interior Z51 3LT package loaded with all the goodies.

I am ordering the GT Buckets (versus competition). I do not want to wait and this will be a daily driver and used on long trips.

This is my FIRST Corvette. I have owned many sports cars, but never a Corvette. Mostly German or Italian.

Question - Is it worth upgrading to the Napa leather? Is it hotter than the perforated Mulan Leather? Advantages/dis advantages? Any idea on the Napa leather upgrade cost?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
I am ordering a Cyber Gray with black interior Z51 3LT package loaded with all the goodies.

I am ordering the GT Buckets (versus competition). I do not want to wait and this will be a daily driver and used on long trips.

This is my FIRST Corvette. I have owned many sports cars, but never a Corvette. Mostly German or Italian.

Question - Is it worth upgrading to the Napa leather? Is it hotter than the perforated Mulan Leather? Advantages/dis advantages? Any idea on the Napa leather upgrade cost?

Thanks in advance!
Who really knows what the difference is at this point in time. This is the problem with ordering a car before you are able to see in person the differences between the options. When is your ordering allocation?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I was wondering the same things. After doing some research, I've decided to go with the micro suede inserts. I think it will be more comfortable and help the seat ventilation work better.

I'm going with brownstone, but the black leather/micro suede looks really good:

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I understand there will be several different interior options on display at the Museum's Birthday Bash next week. That is why I going to help me my my mind up on the interior combos...

See some of you there!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

I can not make the bash....wish I could. Please post what you find out?

I am new to this GM ordering process. Does each allocation come with a projected build date?

Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Does the Napa leather upgrade come with Ventilated seats? I would assume not since they are not perfed. Anyone know for sure??
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That seat looks nice however the bottom bolsters look like they might be a bit "pokie" and intrusive.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Promind
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
Does the Napa leather upgrade come with Ventilated seats? I would assume not since they are not perfed. Anyone know for sure??
According to the order guide, the 3LT GT seats come with "perforated Napa Leather seating surfaces"... Are you doing the suede inserts?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it is really a guess right now which is better. the suede is manmade fibers and not perforated so you could call it a form of plastic. the leather is perforated (some? all?). there is no doubt that for some people, leather is hot (I tend to think that way). looking at it in person may or may not be the best way to go, but unless you get to try both out on a hot day, it's the only way to go. jmo
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Promind
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
it is really a guess right now which is better. the suede is manmade fibers and not perforated so you could call it a form of plastic. the leather is perforated (some? all?). there is no doubt that for some people, leather is hot (I tend to think that way). looking at it in person may or may not be the best way to go, but unless you get to try both out on a hot day, it's the only way to go. jmo
Doesn't perforation refer to the tiny punched holes in the seat surface? In the picture above, you can clearly see the perforation in the suede insert.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

I have micro inserts which are perforated in my CTS V and I like it. I also have had NAPPA Leather in my BMW and also liked the feel and quality. I will wait to see before I buy.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Promind
Doesn't perforation refer to the tiny punched holes in the seat surface? In the picture above, you can clearly see the perforation in the suede insert.
You could be right! I didn't look at it that closely. If it's perforated that would certainly be a plus imo, esp if it's ventilated as well. Good catch, thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 691 Likes on 277 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default mulan vs napa

I have tried researching what the h@ll "mulan" leather is but can find NOTHING on it... Obviously it is used on the lower end packages and the Napa is ONLY available on 3LT. Napa leather, on the other hand, you can find lots of info on. Referred to as "full grain" leather, usually dyed, high quality leather. I was leaning towards the competition seats until I found out that even on 3LT package you get stuck with "mulan" leather, whatever that is supposed to be. As a result I will save money and stick with the GT buckets in Napa leather. Regarding the "suede" or "micro fiber" whatever you want to call it, I think it looks great when new, I have read many threads around the internet some claiming it wears terribly especially on seats with others claiming it wears well. Since I have never owned it personally, I don't know. I do know, QUALITY leather generally lasts forever provided it is taken care of.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AVETTE
I have tried researching what the h@ll "mulan" leather is but can find NOTHING on it... Obviously it is used on the lower end packages and the Napa is ONLY available on 3LT. Napa leather, on the other hand, you can find lots of info on. Referred to as "full grain" leather, usually dyed, high quality leather. I was leaning towards the competition seats until I found out that even on 3LT package you get stuck with "mulan" leather, whatever that is supposed to be. As a result I will save money and stick with the GT buckets in Napa leather. Regarding the "suede" or "micro fiber" whatever you want to call it, I think it looks great when new, I have read many threads around the internet some claiming it wears terribly especially on seats with others claiming it wears well. Since I have never owned it personally, I don't know. I do know, QUALITY leather generally lasts forever provided it is taken care of.
I too did not find anything definitive about Mulan leather.

Note that the Napa designation only refers to the seat inserts. I don't think getting the Napa option will increase the quality of any of the other leather.*

My research revealed that micro suede holds up quite well. Check out this thread for input from C6 4LT owners.

*Edit - rereading the descriptions, I see that they state, "Perforated Napa leather seating surfaces" and "Leather seating surfaces with sueded microfiber inserts." I'm not sure what is meant by "seating surfaces," but they do make a distinction from the inserts. It's confusing, and apologies if I've added to it.

Last edited by -CM-; 04-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 691 Likes on 277 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Napa only on inserts with 3LT??

Originally Posted by -CM-
I too did not find anything definitive about Mulan leather.

Note that the Napa designation only refers to the seat inserts. I don't think getting the Napa option will increase the quality of any of the other leather.

My research revealed that micro suede holds up quite well. Check out this thread for input from C6 4LT owners.
This is a good question to ask at the NCM bash DIRECT to the lead designers etc. Is the NAPA on 3LT ONLY on the seat inserts, if so, that is very disappointing considering the up charge they will hit us with... I would expect that it should be more than just the inserts.. but anything is just speculation at this point, I will try to find out from someone who knows for sure...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

This is a good question to ask at the NCM bash DIRECT to the lead designers etc. Is the NAPA on 3LT ONLY on the seat inserts, if so, that is very disappointing considering the up charge they will hit us with... I would expect that it should be more than just the inserts.. but anything is just speculation at this point, I will try to find out from someone who knows for sure...
Agreed. The information in the order guide and on the web site is incomplete, leaving us to guess.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 PM
ethonal_producer
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone know where there is a picture of the sueded microfiber interior option IWE, like the one of the seat.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Napa Leather?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Promind
Instructor

Great point... This is something that I would for sure want to know before ordering 3LT. And, is it really true that there is no napa leather on 3LT comp seats? (Per the order guide). Weird. Lets find out at the bash!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Promind
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
You could be right! I didn't look at it that closely. If it's perforated that would certainly be a plus imo, esp if it's ventilated as well. Good catch, thanks!
Hope I'm right! I'm hopeful we'll get some time with the designers/interior folks at the bash to ferret all this stuff out.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ethonal_producer
Does anyone know where there is a picture of the sueded microfiber interior option IWE, like the one of the seat.
See this thread.

Quick Reply: Question on Napa Leather?