C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Big Question: Do you Like it? Would you buy one? Is it a WOW Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Windwalker2013
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love everything about the Z51.

It looks good in pix. It looks GREAT in person.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

To answer the OP. I'll let you know when I finally see one in person and read the reviews.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm thinking that the problem with the side view is the vertical-flat-panel nature of the sides of the fastback roof. Also, there is a fastback roof girder line that might be avoided.

So just go instead with the C6 fastback shape but then have less glass and more bodywork on the fastback.

Fix the rear-end like previously posted here and put the C7 taillights on the C6 rear-end.

Now the C7 is lower than the C6 but is the C7 front windshield higher or lower when in relation to the hood and fender ?

Last edited by B Stead; 04-20-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

LOVE many things about the C7. But, GM dropped the ball by not giving the base coupe that magical 500HP that would have been SO easy to do, and the entire rear end is quite frankly hideous looking. No, will not be buying one anytime soon, and hopefully the future ZR1 and Z06, get completely revamped rear end designs, then I will become a future buyer (having owned 7 different vettes the last 20 years).
Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
Ed Welburn said that we welcomes the controversy over the taillights. It incites a lot of discussion about the C7 which has been great for it.

GM is not the least bit worried about loosing the customers that are pissed off about not having round taillights. GM is going to gain far more customers than they are going to loose.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't express their opinion or give feedback to GM, but there's been an overwhelming support globally for the C7 which means that GM got it right.
1) Controversy is like recycling your advertising dollars, but when it dies down, the car will need to truly perform to keep the hype up. So let's hope they got that part right.

2) Only sales #'s will see if you're right about that.

3) I've seen just as much disappointment as support, no matter how they keep trying to spin it....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,747 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

How about some of us don't care.
It's my car and my $$$$
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
How about some of us don't care.
It's my car and my $$$$
Exactly Deb, that is all that matters, that YOU love the car, and will be very happy with it!! Not to many things as exciting as bringing a brand new Corvette home that you LOVE. Enjoy it in good health!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Hristo34
Intermediate

The C7 gave me a wow factor, but not in a good way." Wow, what did they do!" There are a couple things I like about the C7, the seats, and the front headlights, but there are too many things that look off to me. The entire rear end, the dash layout, cheap gaudy looking vents to name a few.

I love vettes though, so I'm hoping some changes are made in the next couple years. If not, I'll be enjoying my C6 Z06, which gives me the wow factor every time I walk into the garage, for a long time to come! And if the C7 doesn't pan out for me I'll look to another model that also gives me that wow factor, the C2. I'd love to have a 66 parked next to the Z06!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Hristo34
The C7 gave me a wow factor, but not in a good way." Wow, what did they do!" There are a couple things I like about the C7, the seats, and the front headlights, but there are too many things that look off to me. The entire rear end, the dash layout, cheap gaudy looking vents to name a few.

I love vettes though, so I'm hoping some changes are made in the next couple years. If not, I'll be enjoying my C6 Z06, which gives me the wow factor every time I walk into the garage, for a long time to come! And if the C7 doesn't pan out for me I'll look to another model that also gives me that wow factor, the C2. I'd love to have a 66 parked next to the Z06!
Maybe it's styling is one of those things that takes some time. Remember all those silly threads when the C6 Z06 was first revealed? "It looks too much like a base C6. My grandmother CAN'T tell the difference, Dave!" Now we never see posts like those anymore. Dave got hung out to dry by quite a few posters on here when he made that comment, they felt so let down by its looks.

I wouldn't be hard pressed to say that a lot of those people that bashed the C6 Z's looks at the time now own one after taking time to appreciate the design. Not to mention any negative posts about the C6 Z styling these days would be the figurative equivalent of hitting a beehive with a stick around here. But back in 2005, you could take all the shots you want and have a lot of posters backing you up. I see the same thing happening with the C7....it'll just take some time to appreciate.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 04-20-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I've only seen Photos but Yes I like it, I like everything about it, it's a Corvette! I will buy one maybe the 2015 after they work out all of the bugs, ALL new car models have bugs, they are New. I am not one that has to be the first on the block to get one lol. Yes WOW what a car. and......... let me express my Opinion about some of the "stupid" threads.......... NO Corvette is Ever Obsolete, it;s a Corvette.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Hristo34
Intermediate

Yea you could be right. But I generally don't need something to grow on me. I grew up around C3's and loved the early versions of that model from as early as I can remember. C4's never really did anything for me while I was in grade school. The C5 was current when I was able to think about newer vettes, but i could never get over its size, so at the end of its run when I was able to afford one, I passed, even though I appreciated the amazing advancements made over the C4.

The C2 is still, to my eye, one of the best looking vettes ever, but for my first, I thought it would be better to have a newer car that I could drive whenever I wanted. When the C6 came out, I liked the changes made, but it wasn't quite there for me yet. The wide body style coupled with the performance really made me say wow. I knew right away I was going to get one. To me the Z06 is almost on par with the C2 styling. I could look at it all day. It has a curvy mix of a sports and muscle car look to it. I was hoping to get that feeling from the C7, but it didn't come close. I haven't seen the C7 in person yet though, so I'll reserve final judgement, but I can't see it being so different than in the pics and videos that I will be completely wowed.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

I tried my best to get a look at it at the Amelia Island Concourse but it wasn't in the cards. The C4 is my favorite generation, so you would get some bias from me there. I think that's why I enjoy the C7's interior over previous generations since the C4. From the reveal, I thought the car looked pretty wide as is. The waistline seems a tad more pinched than the base C6, so that may be throwing me off.

You could be right, nothing is impossible. I like the styling and hopefully it's a hit with a lot of people. You know the C7 performance version is going to change your mind.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Hristo34
Intermediate

If there is one vette model that has grown on me in the last few years it would be the C4, I'm not sure why I didn't care for it when I was young. Must have been all those Lambo and Ferrari posters distracting me

The interior layout does seem similar in shape to the C4. That's not a bad thing, I just wish they would offer a stripped down version. I hate nav screens, and prefer dials to digital. I am very hopeful that the performance version will wow me!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I like the C7. But I honestly thought with the C7 they'd forge a bigger departure from the C6 than they did.

Assuming its durability is good, I bet it sells well.
My thoughts as well.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

If there is one vette model that has grown on me in the last few years it would be the C4, I'm not sure why I didn't care for it when I was young. Must have been all those Lambo and Ferrari posters distracting me

The interior layout does seem similar in shape to the C4. That's not a bad thing, I just wish they would offer a stripped down version. I hate nav screens, and prefer dials to digital. I am very hopeful that the performance version will wow me!
It's weird, with the C4s they have to be in pristine condition to attract attention. Sting Rays/Stingrays aren't like that, they can be a okay driver and people still want to talk the owner.

I see plenty of driver C4s which still look good but it's the one at the gas station with the brand new bright red paint job that gets people to walk over and talk to the owner. But I guess you could say that about any car.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Maybe it's styling is one of those things that takes some time. Remember all those silly threads when the C6 Z06 was first revealed? "It looks too much like a base C6. My grandmother CAN'T tell the difference, Dave!" Now we never see posts like those anymore. Dave got hung out to dry by quite a few posters on here when he made that comment, they felt so let down by its looks.
I'd say that's more accurate to say for the ZR1....
For me the wide body made the C6 Bad A$$.....and I feel that Bad A$$ is what the C7 lacks in appearance.

That being said, there are quite a few things I like about the C7. The seats and interior ARE Bad A$$, I like some of the new toys it comes with, like the exhaust sound tuning, the hideaway compartment in the console, the customizable gauges, DOD ect.

But it's just not enough to have me robbing a bank, or selling the house to get one. But if the car had the WOW factor for me in appearance.....or a DCT....either one, I'd be in line to buy.....If it had both it would definitely be a "I gotta have it!!!"

.....and maybe that's the thing that ticks me off the most... I want to want it, but I'm just not turned on....
Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts
Default C4s Grew on me too, C7 Corvmaro, probably not

Wow, you really described a similar evolution in my likes too. While I was always OK with the C4, I was decidedly a Shark lover, and originally saw the C4 as just a little (and I do mean just a little) too understated.

Now, as I've aged and my tastes have matured a bit, I still love Sharks as much as ever, but the C4 has an adult, worldly and world class quality I find attractive enough that I now own three with plans to buy more. These cars were obviously an evolution of the C3 with all the right iconic ques, but also had/have a ton of Ferrari 308 in them, and that's a good thing. Actually, a great thing.

As a corporate manager at a conservative firm where most of the other management shows up in BMWs and Mercedes, I feel just fine showing up in my C4s. And I've gotten quite a few nice compliments if not some pretty obvious envy from my peers. In fact, everyone loves the C4s...total strangers will honk on the highway and give me a big emphatic thumbs up, with a huge smile on their face. Co-workers at all levels come over and walk around the cars with interest and approval.

My 82 Collector's Edition elicits the same behavior wherever I take it, as did my 78 Silver Anniversary and 77 before that. All my cars are unmistakably Corvettes, with all the iconic design trademarks. The Shark or Sharkish body, hide away headlights, signature for 50 years four round tail lights. People know what they are looking at immediately, and universally love it.

And we Corvette owners also love our Vettes; I can't imagine another car I'd buy four of with plans to acquire more, or spend time writing about on a forum.

And that fascination and enthusiasm for the Corvette is why the horrible design missteps on the C7 rear of the doors are so controversial and disliked that people also, even after months, spend time discussing them on forums. I know some people like Camaro tail lights and Celica GT liftbacks on the new Corvette, but many of us don't.

And my suggestion that GM have a traditional styling package available for the C7 seems like a good compromise that would diffuse the anger over the styling errors, while (supposedly) helping to capture the "youth market" that can't afford and does not buy Corvettes.

Someone else said it (maturely thank god) that people who like the C7 should buy it, people who don't should not, and sales in the end will tell the story.

I agree, but think a traditional styling option would be the best of all worlds, and broaden the appeal of the car, and thus increase sales. A true win win.

Guessing it won't happen, but it could be a way for GM to quell the discontent and sell more cars...IMHO

Quick Reply: The Big Question: Do you Like it? Would you buy one? Is it a WOW Corvette?