C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you order your Corvette with a Dual Clutch Trasnmission? YES or NO. No debate
YES
60.83%
NO
39.17%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Would you order your Corvette with a Dual Clutch Transmission? YES or NO. No debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,250 Likes on 2,023 Posts

What concerns me about a DCT being offered is that Corvette will go the direction of Ferrari and stop offering a manual at all, eventually. That would be a sad day.

Jimmy
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
hb_cpa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

No. I did not like it on my M3. You lose the connection with the car.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No. Because 427C5 has made me nauseous with the incessant whining about it . . . . . .

Last edited by michaelinmech; 04-09-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I have no problem with GM offering the option of DCT. But I would never buy one with it. I will take the manual gearbox everytime.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I voted Yes even though the answer is really no.

Let me explain. I plan on going manual so it would not be an option for me. That said, "if" I was going with an auto, then I would most certainly spend the extra money for the option if it proved to be worth it.

I err on the side of trust with GM. If and when they are ready to release a DCT, it's because (in my opinion) it's refined enough to work (and fit) better in the C7 than the status quo. If and when that time comes, we will have the DCT option and not a minute sooner.

Personally, I'd love to see a true sequential with shift paddles or buttons on the wheel, an optional push pull shift lever in the console and a clutch pedal on the floor!

Last edited by slief; 04-09-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3
Should GM offer one? Yes

Would I buy one? Nope

MT only for me.
I have no problem with GM offering the option of DCT. But I would never buy one with it. I will take the manual gearbox everytime.
^^^^^^ This!

Having driven a DCT/SST in the McClaren 12c, I can say it's fantastic. But who really needs it for the street?

Your poll is, once again, incomplete. It leaves out the cost variable. Or are you assuming it's a no cost option? I might order one if it was a no cost option, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

The difference here as opposed to AWD is we know that DCT can be incorporated with no compromises to the basic platform.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Maybe one day though.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
It leaves out the cost variable.
BMW charges $450 for the DCT option.
I think $1,000 is a safe amount.

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Having driven a DCT/SST in the McClaren 12c, I can say it's fantastic.
But who really needs it for the street?
So, you have driven a DCT and you think it's fantastic.
Why wouldn't you want it for your own car?

Who "needs" 400hp for the street, let alone 600hp?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I were buying an automatic, yeah.

But I'm not. I prefer to drive manuals.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,250 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
If I were buying an automatic, yeah.

But I'm not. I prefer to drive manuals.
Nah, a DCT isn't an automatic....
Sorry, I had to do it.

Here on CF, the various "experts" have proclaimed that an "automatic" is torque converter equipped. My point will always be that if the transmission will SHIFT ITSELF, then it's an automatic and I don't care what the internals are. Automatic SHOULD be an easy word to understand....

And I want 3 pedals in my Corvette (even though our time of being able to get one that way is probably limited).

Jimmy
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 AM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Nah, a DCT isn't an automatic....
Sorry, I had to do it.

Here on CF, the various "experts" have proclaimed that an "automatic" is torque converter equipped. My point will always be that if the transmission will SHIFT ITSELF, then it's an automatic and

I don't care what the internals are.
Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
If there was any question if you were clueless, your post removed any doubt.

DCT is a manual.
It outperforms every stickshift/clutch pedal trans available.
You manually shift a DCT.
DCT only shifts automatically if you engage the automatic mode.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 AM
lve2xlr8
Instructor

Yes as long as it shifted as aggressively as the one in the m3. Love chirping the tires into 4th
Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 C5
BMW charges $450 for the DCT option.
Is it that cheap?
I remember when the SMG option was like a $3000.00 option on the M3 but that's not quite the same transmission you're referring to, right?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Would you order your Corvette with an DCT option if available? YES or NO. No debate

Please simply answer the question that has never been asked in this way before, with either a YES or NO.

This thread isn't for debate or argument, it's simply to get poll results.

Here is 2 pics from the museum today just to remind you all that I am still a loyal Corvette owner:

Are you sure that silver one is a Corvette? It looks like it has Camaro tail lights.

Also, NO, I would not get a DCT.

I know they are faster than a stick, but I simply prefer the greater involvement a stick shift brings to the table, even if I give up some performance.

-T
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

DCT is a manual.
I actually totally disagree. I know the DCT has a clutch (or two) and is similar internally to a traditional stick shift, but there is nothing manual about how the user interacts with it. And that is what truly defines the type of transmission. The torque converter was just a way to eliminate the clutch in order to allow smooth automatic shifting. The DCT can now provide smooth automatic shifting with a clutch, but the clutch does not make it a manual.

From a user interaction perspective, a DCT is no different than a TC automatic with a manual mode (like the one in my Volvo V70 wagon). In normal use, you are still letting the car shift for you. In fact, with the Porsche PDK, practically every review recommends that you leave the car in sport or sport+ mode and let it shift for you. Most DCT's also have best accelertation performance in auto mode because it can shift at the optimal time, better than a human.

So, if you make the argument that a DCT is best because it is the fastest, then you also should be arguing that it is best in automatic mode. Therefore, it is an automatic.

Did I mention it is an automatic?

-T
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Gm keeps improving the automatic in the corvette ( the automatic in my 2012 CTS-V is a huge improvement over the auto that was in my 06 C6 ). That said I think the GM 8 spd auto under development will make it's way to the vette in 2015( 2006 all over again). We'll also see a DCT available in the Z06/ZR1 initially, & when the sales numbers start to slip later in the life cycle of the C7, they'll make it available in the base/Z-51 models. A great strategy if it goes that way, & I would will be one of those waiting for a DCT, likely in a Z06/ZR1.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Is it that cheap?
I remember when the SMG option was like a $3000.00 option on the M3 but that's not quite the same transmission you're referring to, right?
Indeed it is that cheap. SMG was a single-clutch gearbox and nowhere near as smooth. Some DCTs incorporate aggressive shift algorithms to duplicate the "kick-in-the-back" feel. Nowadays, the Steptronic slushbox is a no-cost option on BMWs, which should tell you something about amortization (or maybe the thick profit padding that premium manufacturers can command).

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
In fact, with the Porsche PDK, practically every review recommends that you leave the car in sport or sport+ mode and let it shift for you. Most DCT's also have best accelertation performance in auto mode because it can shift at the optimal time, better than a human.
So, if you make the argument that a DCT is best because it is the fastest, then you also should be arguing that it is best in automatic mode. Therefore, it is an automatic.
I think he is saying that from an interactive point of view, the shifts in a DCT occur much faster than in a torque-converted slushbox. You can also grab neutral when you want, or order up as many consecutive downshifts as the engine can safely handle.
While a Porsche PDK may be fastest in full auto mode, I don't think that practically every review recommends that you leave the car in sport mode and let it shift for you. Eg, R&T's latest comparo between the Evora IPS and Porsche PDK:
"Nearly 50 years later, Porsche’s dual-clutch, two-pedal PDK gearbox is far better than half-baked. No torque-converter automatic can match its efficiency; no straight-cut crash box can shift as quickly. Combined with the current 911, it might be the best grand-touring answer money can buy.
Somewhere up the mountain, I flick the right-hand paddle into fourth gear. The big, raspy six punches me along the narrow two-lane so hard that the sun peeking through the tree cover becomes a strobe light in the door mirrors. The wall of rock ahead swells with auto-zoom intensity before I step on the hot but unfazed ceramic brakes for the 50th time in 20 minutes, and that’s when I realize:
Porsche’s really done it. The PDK is now effectively flawless.
Five years ago, most automated-clutch transmissions required the predictable confines of a racetrack to justify their outrageous prices and often terrifying service intervals. On fast roads, they fell apart, pounding their owners with incomprehensible shifting decisions and punishing clutch action. In traffic, they were temperamental, to say the least.
No longer. This is version 2.0. All bugs fixed, all promises fulfilled. The Porsche’s (optional) steering-wheel-mounted metal shift paddles are finally in the correct position, much to the delight of anyone who suffered through the different but equally worthless wheel-mounted switches used in Porsches over the past 22 years. Flick the left paddle once, twice, 10 times. Or just hold it down for a while; it doesn’t matter. The 911’s gearbox computer interprets your intent, not your execution, and delivers flawless shifts down to the end of the braking zone."

Get notified of new replies

To Would you order your Corvette with a Dual Clutch Transmission? YES or NO. No debate

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

DCT is a manual.
Cool, just like the C6 Auto trans ... shifts Manually if you engage the Manual mode.
Wait .. now I'm confused

PS: I voted No.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
The issue here is, Corvette guys want it all...and they want for under 55k. It's not happening. There's a reason the Corvette and Viper are offering world class performance for fractional costs...it's because there are compromises made.

As is, everyone screamed about the interior, screamed about the leather, screamed about the hp, screamed about the tires, screamed about the tranny. Then, when they hear the leather interior is an upgrade in price as well...they're mad about it.

If you want DCT, and you want it reliable...prepare to pay for it. The best thing Corvette can do, is wait for manufacturers of the DCT transmissions time to recover investments, increase productions, find reliability and offer the transmissions at an affordable cost. If anything, you'll see the ZR1 (or equivalent) offer the DCT option, but it'll be expensive...guarantee that.

The day a base model Corvette in the 55-65k range offers DCT...well, it'll either be a hell of a series of compromises to make it happen on the balance sheet, or it's gonna be a while.
Damn - a well reasoned post from RC000E - who'd-a-thunk-it.

As for budget DCT in the Vette price range - it's not that far away. Once a mass-produced, reliable DCT is out there (VW Group's is best candidate at present), it will wind up in other cars, Vette included. GM has much more latitude to source best-practice parts than it did before. Dumping Goodyear and the union contracts was a huge step in that direction.

Last edited by TTRotary; 04-10-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
I actually totally disagree. I know the DCT has a clutch (or two) and is similar internally to a traditional stick shift, but there is nothing manual about how the user interacts with it. And that is what truly defines the type of transmission. The torque converter was just a way to eliminate the clutch in order to allow smooth automatic shifting. The DCT can now provide smooth automatic shifting with a clutch, but the clutch does not make it a manual.

From a user interaction perspective, a DCT is no different than a TC automatic with a manual mode (like the one in my Volvo V70 wagon). In normal use, you are still letting the car shift for you. In fact, with the Porsche PDK, practically every review recommends that you leave the car in sport or sport+ mode and let it shift for you. Most DCT's also have best accelertation performance in auto mode because it can shift at the optimal time, better than a human.

Did I mention it is an automatic?

-T
Totally agree, and while this was argued over and over and it was proven that even the automotive manufacturers call their DCTs automatics, the people that don't want to say they drive an auto will continue to call them manuals. (Derp)

By the way, only a few DCTs actually use clutches (dry clutches). Most use - what we call torque converters - wet clutches. They're viscous friction based clutches (like a torque converter) that handles a lot more torque than a dry clutch (like a torque converter) and even require a pump to move fluid and cool them (like a torque converter).

But C5 427 will likely say something along the lines of: "Are you stupid? How could they be torque converters? Don't you know they shift faster? Don't you know they're in Ferraris and the GTR?" Or something that has nothing to do with anything I said.

Quick Reply: Would you order your Corvette with a Dual Clutch Transmission? YES or NO. No debate