Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
ed1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rick Hendrick Buys First 2014 Corvette Convertible for $1 Million

Check out this article:

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/ex...for-1-million/

To get the bids up to 1 million dollars people have to be excited for the new Corvette.

If you think all the hype around the C7 is all show and no go take note of the bottom article where they state the selling prices for other production Chevy vehicles that went through the same auction.

Keep in mind that this is a charity auction!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ed1
Check out this article:

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/ex...for-1-million/

To get the bids up to 1 million dollars people have to be excited for the new Corvette.

If you think all the hype around the C7 is all show and no go take note of the bottom article where they state the selling prices for other production Chevy vehicles that went through the same auction.

Keep in mind that this is a charity auction!
Charity bids do not reflect the actual value of the vehicle.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 AM
ed1
Instructor

Originally Posted by themonk
Charity bids do not reflect the actual value of the vehicle.
Of course not and that wasn't my point! People are excited about the new corvette and with bids up to 1 millions its proof even if it was for charity.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

You are reading an article written by Fox Sports AKA NASCAR about one of the biggest names in NASCAR, and I can assure you there have been other cars sell for a a million plus at Barrett-Jackson. That price has nothing to do with excitement over the C7. I missed yesterdays bidding, but when they bid on the coupe it went up to a million real fast and then Hendrick bid $1,050,000 and that was it. Also if memory serves me correctly, the prices paid does not get you the car, only the right to the first one. At least that was the way it was in the past. You still had to pay the MSRP on the car.
Finally, remember, all the money bid goes to the charity, GM does not get any of it, more does Barrett-Jackson. Lets face it as much pull as Rick Hendrick has with GM and Chevrolet, he could most likely have VIN001 as well as the first roadster pre-bought and shipped to him when they come off the line, but the auction helps the charity so it goes that way.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 AM
sly4458
Advanced

Love the Vert
Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All made for TV nonsense, if anyone thinks he is cutting a check for a million bucks to have a dime a dozen car they need to change their meds.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default good guy

At the end of the day, the first C7 auctions are about a good guy. Mr. Hendrick's didn't need to spend a million bucks for this car. He doesn't need notoriety, he certainly doesn't need the cars he will likely never drive, and he doesn't need to pad his charitable resume. He has all of that and more. But he buys these cars to benefit causes near and not so near to him. I applaud his generosity. The world would be a far better place with more of guys like him in it.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

It's a generous gesture for a good cause. And Hendrick gets a collectable car out of it as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
At the end of the day, the first C7 auctions are about a good guy. Mr. Hendrick's didn't need to spend a million bucks for this car. He doesn't need notoriety, he certainly doesn't need the cars he will likely never drive, and he doesn't need to pad his charitable resume. He has all of that and more. But he buys these cars to benefit causes near and not so near to him. I applaud his generosity. The world would be a far better place with more of guys like him in it.
He needs the tax write off though!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
All made for TV nonsense, if anyone thinks he is cutting a check for a million bucks to have a dime a dozen car they need to change their meds.

He is cutting a check for a million bucks - directly to the Charity.

GM 'donates' the car (tax deduction) - Barrett Jackson charges no buy or sell fees (tax deduction) - 100% of the purchase prices bid for the charity auctions go directly to the charity (tax deduction).
Old 04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
ed1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BWF07
You are reading an article written by Fox Sports AKA NASCAR about one of the biggest names in NASCAR, and I can assure you there have been other cars sell for a a million plus at Barrett-Jackson. That price has nothing to do with excitement over the C7. I missed yesterdays bidding, but when they bid on the coupe it went up to a million real fast and then Hendrick bid $1,050,000 and that was it. Also if memory serves me correctly, the prices paid does not get you the car, only the right to the first one. At least that was the way it was in the past. You still had to pay the MSRP on the car.
Finally, remember, all the money bid goes to the charity, GM does not get any of it, more does Barrett-Jackson. Lets face it as much pull as Rick Hendrick has with GM and Chevrolet, he could most likely have VIN001 as well as the first roadster pre-bought and shipped to him when they come off the line, but the auction helps the charity so it goes that way.
Here are quote from article: "Hendrick has a few other first-of purchases from Barrett-Jackson auctions. He bought the first production 2010 Camaro SS for $350,000; the first 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition for $270,000; the first 2011 Camaro SS convertible for $205,000; and the first 2012 ZL1 Camaro for $250,000."

I too can assure you that other cars have sold for a million+ but nothing in the Chevy lineup not even Corvettes until now. Again my point is that people are excited about the new Corvette. I have been to charity auctions and it's excitement that gets the bidding up. Its sort of a competition amongst the bidders. Of course at the end of the day its all for charity but its the excitement over the C7 Corvette that brought in over 2 millions dollar in two auctions. You were close he paid 1.1 million for the 1st coupe and yes it the rights to the car as it has not yet being built.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's amazing to me that people can think so small.

Yes, it's a PR stunt.

But, it's worth a ton of money in PR/good relations to Hendricks, to Chevy, and it's also good thing for the charity that gets the money.

On what planet would any of this be considered a bad thing?

BTW: Americans give more away to charity per person than any other country on Earth. It's something to be proud of instead of criticizing.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ed1
Here are quote from article: "Hendrick has a few other first-of purchases from Barrett-Jackson auctions. He bought the first production 2010 Camaro SS for $350,000; the first 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition for $270,000; the first 2011 Camaro SS convertible for $205,000; and the first 2012 ZL1 Camaro for $250,000."

I too can assure you that other cars have sold for a million+ but nothing in the Chevy lineup not even Corvettes until now. Again my point is that people are excited about the new Corvette. I have been to charity auctions and it's excitement that gets the bidding up. Its sort of a competition amongst the bidders. Of course at the end of the day its all for charity but its the excitement over the C7 Corvette that brought in over 2 millions dollar in two auctions. You were close he paid 1.1 million for the 1st coupe and yes it the rights to the car as it has not yet being built.
Wrong, I think if you check you will find that the first C6 ZR1 sold for a cool $1 million and I believe Rich also owns it. So the C7 is not driving the price, but the bidders are. Lets face it, that car will never be worth what he paid for it. It was done for a charity and Rick is well known to support this causes. Rick is also well known as a rare and first model Corvette collector and he is willing to pay what ever it takes to get the car. That is what drives the price. I sometimes wonder if there are not some people planted in there to drive the price up. Granted the C7 maybe an excellent car, but there is not the hype that you seem to think there is to cause it to be a million dollar car.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess you guys don't remember when in the 80's Hendrick was bribing Honda executives to get larger allocations because Honda was such a hot product. He gave them hundreds of thousands of dollars, cars, houses and more.

Yep he's a true American crook and thief. I don't want to hear about his generosity, he's just another rich arrogant crook. He comes across as humble and maybe he's learned his lesson, it doesn't change who he was.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:56 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Well I guess you guys don't remember when in the 80's Hendrick was bribing Honda executives to get larger allocations because Honda was such a hot product. He gave them hundreds of thousands of dollars, cars, houses and more.

Yep he's a true American crook and thief. I don't want to hear about his generosity, he's just another rich arrogant crook. He comes across as humble and maybe he's learned his lesson, it doesn't change who he was.
Wow.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Wrong, I think if you check you will find that the first C6 ZR1 sold for a cool $1 million and I believe Rich also owns it. So the C7 is not driving the price, but the bidders are. Lets face it, that car will never be worth what he paid for it. It was done for a charity and Rick is well known to support this causes. Rick is also well known as a rare and first model Corvette collector and he is willing to pay what ever it takes to get the car. That is what drives the price. I sometimes wonder if there are not some people planted in there to drive the price up. Granted the C7 maybe an excellent car, but there is not the hype that you seem to think there is to cause it to be a million dollar car.
It was Dave Ressler who bought it and he had it painted LeMans Blue.
VIN #1 and charity (or maybe the tax write off) are the reasons these cars sell for what they do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9NnI...-Dollar-Bidder
Today’s Video Find brings us back to a report we brought you earlier in the year, when the first Corvette ZR1 was auctioned off at Barrett-Jackson for a cool $1 million. The owner, collector Dave Ressler, owns a Chevrolet dealership (and the earliest known surviving Corvette) and rode in the ZR1 with his granddaughter as it reached the end of the production line.
For his million dollars, Ressler got not only the first ZR1 in production, but also a unique VIN and special paint — his car is the only one that will be painted Le Mans Blue. The car’s $1 million dollar selling price gave quite a premium to the expected MSRP of just over $100,000, but all profits over the sticker price were donated to charity, which we suspect will result in a fairly decent tax write off for Ressler, perhaps easing the purchase price just a bit. Ressler plans to retire the car to his 45-’Vette strong museum back home in Montana after performance tests of the new 638 horsepower car are completed.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/video-find...#ixzz2PiAXmqEz
Follow us: @MotorTrend on Twitter | MotortrendMag on Facebook

Last edited by BlueOx; 04-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rick Hendrick Buys First 2014 Corvette Convertible for $1 Million

Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
VIN #1 and charity

Dave Ressler bought VIN #1 for the first ZL1 Corvette produced - I believe the OP was referring to the person who bought VIN#1 of the first C6 produced . . . .
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
VIN #1 and charity (or maybe the tax write off) are the reasons these cars sell for what they do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9NnI...-Dollar-Bidder
I could not remember who bought it, but Rick just seemed like teh one at that price and a charity.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I thought Ron Pratt bought the first ZR1 for a million?

Quick Reply: Rick Hendrick Buys First 2014 Corvette Convertible for $1 Million