C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

April Motor Trend Has Future C7 Plans...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
Default April Motor Trend Has Future C7 Plans...

Mike Connor's "Confidential" column in the April issue of MT (page 13) contains more conflicting C7 information coming out of GM. He reports that Tim Lee, head of GM's International Operations and head of Global Manufacturing, has flatly denied that there are any plans to produce a right-hand-drive version of the C7...directly contradicting statements made by Tadge Juechter and Dan Akerson at the C7's reveal. Too many cooks?

Connor also reports that Corvette engineers are working on a "low-cost" version of the C7 that will debut in 2015. According to him, the car's engine will be an all-alloy version of the new DI 5.3L V8 truck engine, with under 400 hp. New front fenders, fascia, and rear diffuser will visually differentiate what will be called the "Corvette Coupe" from the "Stingray". The Coupe is to be offered only as a hardtop...or so he says.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 1analguy
directly contradicting statements made by Tadge Juechter and Dan Akerson at the C7's reveal. Too many cooks?
No one on any of the teams has indicated that there would be a right-hand drive version of the car. I'm not sure where you thought you heard that there would be, but they have never said it. In fact, they've said numerous times that there wouldn't be one.

jas
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually, I'm just telling you what the reporter said...hence the words "He reports that...". I myself have no recollection of pro-RHD statements by anyone at the reveal, either...but, I wasn't there in person. Perhaps he overheard something afterward...or, just pulled it out of his sphincter?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Lowered powered "base C7" is probably a definite.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts
Default And maybe get it right

If GM is considering coming out with some kind of Base Corvette, perhaps they will actually make it look like a Corvette all the way around, instead of putting Toyota headlamps in the front (C6) and a Camaro back end (C7). We can hope.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Motor Trend also reported that this "Gothic Lipstick C6" was the C7 Corvette.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A Lowered powered C7 will just cheapen the brand.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Profit
Porsche does fine with an entry level 911 C2 and has no problem selling GT2 and GT3 versions, so and entry level will not be a problem.
Remember, the 1zt C5 ZO6 body was supposed to be a "Billy Bob" C5 with a lower entry price until someone came a screwed up that genius idea.

What has cheapened the Corvette brand is the lack of world class options like DCT and AWD.

[IMG][/IMG]

I hate to break it to ya, but Motor Trend's C7 looks a lot better than the real C7.

Last edited by 427 C5; 03-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
If GM is considering coming out with some kind of Base Corvette, perhaps they will actually make it look like a Corvette all the way around, instead of putting Toyota headlamps in the front (C6) and a Camaro back end (C7). We can hope.
I seriously doubt if they will do it. And I'm with you - horrible idea.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

They already have the Camaro for high volume sales. Don't be greedy GM. Overproducing the Corvette is not the way you attract "younger" buyers.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

An all alloy 5.3? All GenVs are all alloy. The 5.3L has all the same features of the other GenVs, it won't be cheaper than the LT1, not seeing how it would enable a cheaper car.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I seriously doubt if they will do it. And I'm with you - horrible idea.
I agree, offering a cheaper Billy Bob version while trying to attract upscale Porsche, etc, younger drivers with basically the same car but much more expensive isn't a smart idea. It didn't fly with the C5 and it won't fly with the C7.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

What would they do re AFM on the 5.3? I thought they went with the displacement they did on the LT1 in part b/c it took that displacement for the V4 AFM operation of it to provide any meaningful contribution - i.e. be in AFM mode for across a broader range. Would they have a 5.3 that with lower fuel mileage - i.e. no AFM? Or would they de-tune it so much as to make it a wash?

I agree with the others - I hope they don't have a "down market" variant.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Mike Connor's "Confidential" column in the April issue of MT (page 13) contains more conflicting C7 information coming out of GM. He reports that Tim Lee, head of GM's International Operations and head of Global Manufacturing, has flatly denied that there are any plans to produce a right-hand-drive version of the C7...directly contradicting statements made by Tadge Juechter and Dan Akerson at the C7's reveal. Too many cooks?

Connor also reports that Corvette engineers are working on a "low-cost" version of the C7 that will debut in 2015. According to him, the car's engine will be an all-alloy version of the new DI 5.3L V8 truck engine, with under 400 hp. New front fenders, fascia, and rear diffuser will visually differentiate what will be called the "Corvette Coupe" from the "Stingray". The Coupe is to be offered only as a hardtop...or so he says.
Motor Trend did an interview with GM designer Kirk Binnion where he states:

"Corvette Stingray is Corvette’s starting point" and "We felt making the car special enough to call it a Stingray, but also giving the starting point for the C7 Corvette a really good name was very key to the car".

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/designers-...#ixzz2OzmcbRMN

I guess it depends on which Motor Trend article you want to believe.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Well, now that they have created an emblem for it, they must justify their previous action by building a Corvette around it. That's corporate madness for ya.

http://blogs.hotrod.com/video-motor-...40s-18813.html
Old 03-30-2013, 02:30 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
No one on any of the teams has indicated that there would be a right-hand drive version of the car. I'm not sure where you thought you heard that there would be, but they have never said it. In fact, they've said numerous times that there wouldn't be one.

jas
I seem to recall, at the time of the reveal Tadge talked about a right hand version for Europe. If I can find it, I will re post.

Get notified of new replies

To April Motor Trend Has Future C7 Plans...

Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Back in January they said ..we will sell Corvettes only where left hand drive is legal. It is to difficult to meet other country's rules.

A lower price Corvette will not hurt. It allows more people to get into the culture. Then they can move up to Stingray. That is my opinion ,of course.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, a "cheap seats" Corvette will help kill the brand IMO.

The Corvette needs to be taken upscale and many owners are already turned off by "it's a good car for the money" reputation. There is no rule in life that says everyone should be able to afford everything they want.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WHT
Unfortunately, a "cheap seats" Corvette will help kill the brand IMO.

The Corvette needs to be taken upscale and many owners are already turned off by "it's a good car for the money" reputation. There is no rule in life that says everyone should be able to afford everything they want.

I doubt that we'll actually see a real second class Corvette. I suspect that they are actually toying with the idea however. They may even have a complete clay model, and that's where that info would be coming from. They explore a lot of obvious crap between generations. Heck, they must justify their jobs in between, I guess.

Quick Reply: April Motor Trend Has Future C7 Plans...