Sponsored by:

Repost of Censored Thread Re C7 Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Repost of Censored Thread Re C7 Taillights

Apparently someone decided to censor my earlier post, which I believe had nothing vulgar, or inflammatory, nor was any of that intended. The tail lights on the C7 are controversial, and a fair airing of views on that topic should not be cut short. While I hear that our beloved Corvette has to change to attract new younger buyers, my earlier post strongly makes the point that we older buyers are the demographic that can actually afford to buy Corvettes. Most younger people simply cannot afford a $70K two seat, lets be honest about it, toy. And taking the car in such a different direction (as to put Camaro tail lights on it instead of the longstanding design cue of four round tail lights) as to alienate and anger long time Corvette lovers is a very bad decision. My humble opinion, I'd like to hear others...here below is the censored post.

If you go on Youtube and search C7 Tallights, you will find GM's Tom Peters trying to explain and defend the Camaro tail lights on the new Corvette. Mr. Peters spends the early part of his video telling us how he and the other designers wanted to go in a radically different direction (why?) and the tail lights don't look like Camaro tail lights anyway. The second half of his video seems to be a rambling admission that the new C7 tail lights do in fact mimic the Camaro, and hey, what's wrong with that anyway? He goes on to tell us the design team was going after a younger buying audience...

His demeanor and presentation seems nervous and unsure, like someone who knows he has irritated and angered his primary customer base, but can't for whatever reason back down and simply admit and correct the error.

I've owned Corvettes for decades, and yes, I'm 57 and currently own a 1982 CE, 1984 Z51, 1988 4+3, a beautiful burgundy/saddle 1990, and have plans to buy more C4s and perhaps a C5 or two. When I and my kids were younger, and I had to deal with car seats, day care and sedans, I had to sell my 78 Silver Anniversary Edition. To my eternal regret. Well, I'm finally at an age and income level where I can buy what I want car wise. Wow, that sounds more like the demographic that would actually go out and buy a C7 than a 30 or 40 year old with kids, doesn't it? Good luck, Mr. Peters, marketing a $70+K two seat sports car to that younger audience...

Chevy has since the late 1970s systematically priced the Corvette well beyond what anyone but us older guys and gals can afford. Or actually go out and buy because of children and such. Like it or not, the target market for the C7 is an older crowd. And will remain so unless GM cuts the price by about two thirds and adds rear seats.

So, why did GM decide to anger the primary target demographic for the C7 by making it look like a Camaro from behind? Mr. Peter's video did not explain that. And that he even felt the need to try suggests he knows what a mistake it was to depart from such an iconic styling cue as the four round tail lights.

I will turn 60 in September of 2015. And for many years my plan has been to go to Bolling Green and do the whole bit, the assembly tour and all. And leave with a brand new C7 to add to my collection. Frankly I was originally going to do that when I turned 55, and buy a new C6, but the Toyota style headlights on the C6 put a stop to that.

And now, Camaro tail lights on the C7 have utterly ruled out any thought of buying a C7 let alone going to Kentucky for the insult. It seems like GM and the Corvmaro design team are actively trying to alienate their primary customers but turning the Corvette into something that 'goes in a radically different direction'.

If I wanted to 'go in a different direction' I'd buy a Viper. And now I just might. Partly for spite, and partly to send a message. I don't like GM slapping at me after I've bought so many Corvettes in my life.

I can only say I hope other Corvette lovers who respect the tradition and iconography of the car close their wallets to the C7 as well. A boycott of the Corvmaro would likely convince GM as well as Mr. Peters and his ilk that staying true to the Corvette styling cues, and respecting the customer base is simply good business.

And if enough people refuse to buy the C7 Corvmaro, then the 2015 C8 might actually have retractable headlights and four round tail lights, all in a traditional C3ish shape.

THAT would be a new Corvette, one I would want to buy.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Don't take it personally. It's a car!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Majority of people love the taillights. They are here to stay, unlike this thread. Honestly do you think if people don't buy the C7 that they would make a C8?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get over it....
Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm older than you and the tail lights do not offend me in any way. What constitutes a design for young or old anyway? It's not young or old, it's just different than what "current" vette owners are used to. As a matter of fact, I've asked many people who have never owned a Corvette and the vast majority of them LOVE the C7 because they have no preconceived notions of how it SHOULD look. THAT is probably the single factor that delineates old timers from newbies. The age demographic for the vette has little to do with its style. It's about who can afford the $70k average price. If you don't like it, you can always buy another C4 or two. I had a couple of C4's myself. I loved them, but they don't compare with the newer models in any way. I personally don't care for the C6 tail. I notice that there is more complaining about the tail lights on this forum and from previous owners than all other sources combined. jmho.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

I think if a majority of people liked the Camaro tail lights, Tom Peters would not have felt the need to go on Youtube and try to justify them. It seems the design team saw falling C6 sales but missed the reason. The C6 digressed (the Toyota headlights) from what people expect a Corvette to be (retractable headlights since 1963, updated each generation, but consistently there and consistently a Corvette design cue). Rather than learn from that, the C7 design team seems to have picked the wrong conclusion and resolved to further move the car away from the traditional design cues. Actually, I think there will be people who buy the C7, but I doubt long time Corvette lovers like me will. And as a result, I don't think the C7 will sell well.

I do hope if that happens, GM figures out why and returns to a Corvette Corvette in an early 8th generation.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Not vulgar, just pointless. The sky is blue, no it's green etc...

IBTL
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 AM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with you 99%, although I am only 40 and love everything about the C7 including the rear. You have the right to express your concerns and if there is a great enough market for a revise rear, I am sure there will be alternatives from either OEM or after market.

Worst case, you can always take it to a West Coast Customs to retro fit the taillights.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

IBTL? If this thread is censored a second time, it will reflect very negatively on this forum. I hope that is not the case.

If this was so pointless, why did Tom Peters make a Youtube video on the topic? I've never seen a design team head basically go on TV to try and explain and justify a mistake. And if you watch that video, it is hard to conclude Mr. Peters does not at least begin to appreciate that putting Camaro tail lights on a new Corvette is a major error.
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G352C6
I agree with you 99%, although I am only 40 and love everything about the C7 including the rear. You have the right to express your concerns and if there is a great enough market for a revise rear, I am sure there will be alternatives from either OEM or after market.

Worst case, you can always take it to a West Coast Customs to retro fit the taillights.
I'm sure they can add some popup headlights too.
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

The rear is ugly … it's so ugly that even the camaro dumped then and has a better design for 2014 lol
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

I like the GTR performance and price, but it is too damn ugly for me to buy one. I'm not crying over it.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
I think if a majority of people liked the Camaro tail lights, Tom Peters would not have felt the need to go on Youtube and try to justify them. It seems the design team saw falling C6 sales but missed the reason. The C6 digressed (the Toyota headlights) from what people expect a Corvette to be (retractable headlights since 1963, updated each generation, but consistently there and consistently a Corvette design cue). Rather than learn from that, the C7 design team seems to have picked the wrong conclusion and resolved to further move the car away from the traditional design cues. Actually, I think there will be people who buy the C7, but I doubt long time Corvette lovers like me will. And as a result, I don't think the C7 will sell well.

I do hope if that happens, GM figures out why and returns to a Corvette Corvette in an early 8th generation.
I'm glad GM is trying to appeal to a younger group of buyers and I am a 55 year old, who happens to like the C7 and the tail lights.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Davidl81
Instructor

Peters made a post because of the 5-10 percent of the people that are freaking out over the rear end. You like the old style of the car, cool man. But really stick with pop up lights? Things change and if GM loses 1 older buy to pick up 2 younger buyers they win.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

One suggestion I made on another post is for GM to offer a TRaditional One (TR-1) option to the C7, that would include retractable headlights, bottom breathing (yes, I know the top speed would drop, it's a trade I'd make) and of course a big glassback ala the 1978 to 2013 models, and of course, four round tail lights. My guess is that option would outsell any Camaro looking base version. And boost C7 sales, a win win all around. Long time Corvette lovers get their Corvette, people who want a Corvette that looks like a Camaro from the rear get their wish too. What's not to like? IMHO
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 AM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

I also find Tom Peters very defensive. On the other hand, you can't make everybody happy. The bottom line is the C7 will be a great success for Chevy. And in a few years when the demand is less, the may revise the rear to capture the market for all the disgruntled people. Win-win for Chevy!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

Peters made a post because of the 5-10 percent of the people that are freaking out over the rear end. You like the old style of the car, cool man. But really stick with pop up lights? Things change and if GM loses 1 older buy to pick up 2 younger buyers they win.

My point was 'younger buyers' generally don't exist for the Corvette. Other than young internet billionaires, who in their 20s-late 40s can buy an expensive two seat car like the Corvette? Sure some can, but the Vette is largely a car that caters to us older folks. Who can actually afford to buy it...

Get notified of new replies

To Repost of Censored Thread Re C7 Taillights

Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
the Vette is largely a car that caters to us older folks. Who can actually afford to buy it...
I thought that was Buick?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

1. When they say younger, they don't mean someone who is 25. They mean relatively younger. I would say under 50 as a guess.

2. Sure younger people can afford expensive cars. I see many people in their 30's & 40's driving $60K, $80K, $100K cars everyday.

3. Get over the lights. The rear does NOT look like a Camaro! Some people see that but they are in the minority. I actually see some Audi R8 in the rear myself.

4. If it bothers you that much then don't buy it. But I have to say this looks like the best Corvette GM has ever produced and is going to win a lot of new customers over.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

It was likely locked because there have been ENDLESS threads on this topic that you could have posted in. It has been discussed ad nauseum. Instead you HAD to create a another new thread. Then that thread gets locked and instead of inquiring to a moderator as the TOS request, you open yet another new thread.

The likelihood this will be locked approaches 100%. Perhaps you should read the Terms of Service you agreed to, and inquire of a moderator before you open another new thread on this topic.

Just a little bit of friendly advice.

Quick Reply: Repost of Censored Thread Re C7 Taillights