Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation

Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation

I feel it makes sense to make a post supporting the younger vette fans that are now "the right market". A few reasons why I think we are the right market. I sure hope someone from GM is reading, you guys know what is up. Hence targeting a new market to grow with.

1)Plenty of us do have money $$ $$. We grew up learning how to program in middle school, teaching our parents to surf the web, new design technology, advanced manufactoring, engineering, selling on wallstreet 80 hours a week jobs etc. You all did that, now its us.

2) Baby Boomers are... well getting old. That has been the primary market. Give that some thought and consider how GM feels about it for future planning.

3) Im sure GM is trying to change their image and demographics in general. First thing my wife said before I got my C6 last year was. "You are going to be the only 32 year old driving one, only old men drive vettes, with no hair and cheesy corvette jackets". Like a guy with a corvette with flames on it, and a license plate that says "C5 vette" and then even still with a License plate cover that says "corvette". Well no %$^& its a corvette, it already says it on the back of the car. Please stop this crap- its soooo tacky and embarrasing to the rest of us owners/fans. I am sure people of all ages agree with that.

5) Corvette needs to compete with the competition, and it this is growing. One being the GTR interests, 30k difference to a guy like me that can afford a new vette is not a huge deal. Hell I can buy a 2009 GTR for less than 60k. Godzilla 100k vs. Corvette 70k (really not a big deal). When we are looking for a hobby car and can afford 70, 100 isn't much more.

I realize that on this forum 30-40 year olds may make up 5-10% of the members, and I have this feeling that a lot of them never speak a word. Just standing up for this crowd I belong in to you mighty elders.

Last edited by CJJ; 03-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
Just standing up for this crowd I belong in to you mighty elders.
Young, old, male, female, white, black, republican, democrat, we are all one...we love Vettes!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
I feel it makes sense to make a post supporting the younger vette fans that are now "the right market". A few reasons why I think we are the right market. I sure hope someone from GM is reading, you guys know what is up. Hence targeting a new market to grow with.

1)Plenty of us do have money $$ $$. We grew up learning how to program in middle school, teaching our parents to surf the web, new design technology, advanced manufactoring, engineering, selling on wallstreet 80 hours a week jobs etc. You all did that, now its us.

2) Baby Boomers are... well getting old. That has been the primary market. Give that some thought and consider how GM feels about it for future planning.

3) Im sure GM is trying to change their image and demographics in general. First thing my wife said before I got my C6 last year was. "You are going to be the only 32 year old driving one, only old men drive vettes, with no hair and cheesy corvette jackets". Like a guy with a corvette with flames on it, and a license plate that says "C5 vette" and then even still with a License plate cover that says "corvette". Well no %$^& its a corvette, it already says it on the back of the car. Please stop this crap- its soooo tacky and embarrasing to the rest of us owners/fans. I am sure people of all ages agree with that.

5) Corvette needs to compete with the competition, and it this is growing. One being the GTR interests, 30k difference to a guy like me that can afford a new vette is not a huge deal. Hell I can buy a 2009 GTR for less than 60k. Godzilla 100k vs. Corvette 70k (really not a big deal). When we are looking for a hobby car and can afford 70, 100 isn't much more.

I realize that on this forum 30-40 year olds may make up 5-10% of the members, and I have this feeling that a lot of them never speak a word. Just standing up for this crowd I belong in to you mighty elders.
I'm young and I don't even consider the GTR all that. Vette does everything better except 0-60. I never driven a GTR before but I can imagine it's a fast driving brick. The design is average at best. The reason for not selling is the design and terrible dealer service from Nissan. Most have a no test drive policy. Vette will always look better than the GTR and drive like a mini go cart, and the GTR well... I think I beat on it enough.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 33 and my wife made fun of me when I bought my GS. She said I'm not an old bald man yet.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

What happened to # 4?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I'm young and I don't even consider the GTR all that. Vette does everything better except 0-60. I never driven a GTR before but I can imagine it's a fast driving brick. The design is average at best. The reason for not selling is the design and terrible dealer service from Nissan. Most have a no test drive policy. Vette will always look better than the GTR and drive like a mini go cart, and the GTR well... I think I beat on it enough.
Hey man to each their own opinion. I totally respect your opinion, and also totally disagree. No big deal. This isnt a GTR site, and I am a qualified and confirmed Vette fan. I just wish this hate of different opinions/demographics on this site would stop. GM made a great desicion to make some changes, BUT heck thats just my opinion - And im pumped to be one of the first in my hometown with one. If someone doesnt like it, cool move on, DONT BUY IT. I dont care if someone doesnt like it, no need to make huge *** posts blasting GM, engineers, my demograhic, etc etc.

Also the cheesy $%^# that some vette owners do to their rides and fashion wise needs to stop lol. I love (hate) driving by a trailer park and seeing old vettes in front of a busted trailer. ---> market adjustment.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by millpond
Young, old, male, female, white, black, republican, democrat, we are all one...we love Vettes!
Im so jelous you live in Napa. Most beutifull place in the US wife and I have visited. I live in VA, maybe some day I will drive across country in the V, well no I wont, would take tooo long ..

<3 The French Laundry, Villagio, and the great food and wine, oh man and the weather!!! ughhh love it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CJJ
I love (hate) driving by a trailer park and seeing old vettes in front of a busted trailer. ---> market adjustment.
I live in one of these, but now we call them manufactured home parks.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM
CJJ
Racer

I live in one of these, but now we call them manufactured home parks.
No you dont beleive me. Totally different than what im saying. Im talking rotten roof, broken down truck, rabid dog tied to tree, old lady on front porch smoking sitting on a bucket and has no teeth.

I would live in a manufactured home in napa any day sir.

I bet the rose bushes in your area have flowers bigger than my fists right now dont they?? Amazing.

Last edited by CJJ; 03-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.
millpond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CJJ
Im so jelous you live in Napa. Most beutifull place in the US wife and I have visited. I live in VA, maybe some day I will drive across country in the V, well no I wont, would take tooo long ..

<3 The French Laundry, Villagio, and the great food and wine, oh man and the weather!!! ughhh love it.
Thanks, I live in a "manufactured home park" just behind Ad Hoc. Same town as the French Laundry.
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
Hey man to each their own opinion. I totally respect your opinion, and also totally disagree. No big deal. This isnt a GTR site, and I am a qualified and confirmed Vette fan. I just wish this hate of different opinions/demographics on this site would stop. GM made a great desicion to make some changes, BUT heck thats just my opinion - And im pumped to be one of the first in my hometown with one. If someone doesnt like it, cool move on, DONT BUY IT. I dont care if someone doesnt like it, no need to make huge *** posts blasting GM, engineers, my demograhic, etc etc.

Also the cheesy $%^# that some vette owners do to their rides and fashion wise needs to stop lol. I love (hate) driving by a trailer park and seeing old vettes in front of a busted trailer. ---> market adjustment.
Great second post! You wont last long with those comments.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator
What happened to # 4?

Come on man - don't you know - the new generation is too cool to use number 4
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
CJJ
Racer

Thanks, I live in a "manufactured home park" just behind Ad Hoc. Same town as the French Laundry.
Yup I know where that is. Thats Thomas Kellers also right?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Great second post! You wont last long with those comments.
Last long? Really? Like Fish food? or shut down his access?

LOL come on. What part was out of line?

Or were you seriuos, and you did like it? Im confused.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM
User24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you consider yourself image conscious? How do you feel about strangers adding 10 years to your actual age because they see you driving a vette?

In 10 or 15 years, do you see yourself still driving a vette and fitting the typical stereotype? Will you think less of yourself because you are older?

Corvette attracting a few younger drivers, does not really change anything. Harley Davidson made a model or two to attract younger riders, and while all the Harley riders I personally know are in their 20s, the fact is HD can't shake the image of the fat grey man riding in black leather. Corvette is not a status brand. Like a HD, they are more expensive than the cheap foreign import, but it does not really register to the public as a "cool" thing to have.

Why is it so important for some, to tell people on the internet how much money they make? The rat race was a baby boomer's favorite game.

Last edited by User24; 03-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Aviator
What happened to # 4?

Lol yea its getting late, pretty sure I need glasses and #4 wasnt very nice to a certain older age group. I noticed that and made some quick changes.

Get notified of new replies

To The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation

Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CJJ
Yup I know where that is. Thats Thomas Kellers also right?
Right you are. Keller also has Bouchon restaurant and bakery.

Last edited by millpond; 03-28-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I thought the "busted trailers" part was rude!
If you were joking, I retract my comment.

Some may not take it as a joke though.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by User24
Do you consider yourself image conscious? How do you feel about strangers adding 10 years to your actual age because they see you driving a vette?

In 10 or 15 years, do you see yourself still driving a vette and fitting the typical stereotype?

Corvette attracting a few younger drivers, does not really change anything. Harley Davidson made a model or two to attract younger riders, and while all the Harley riders I personally know are in their 20s, the fact is HD can't shake the image of the fat grey man riding in black leather.

Why is it important for some, to tell people on the internet how much money they may or may not make?
1. I never told you how much money I made. Thanks for trying.
2. So personally all HD riders you know are in the 20's hmm ok. That brings a lot of value here, and that arguement isnt even worth wasting words. You basically supported my thought there but you dont realize that. Thanks
3. My age is not a problem, in the prime of my life.
4. Your tag picture on the other hand is strange, I dont really care to see that on a car forum. And Im the image conscious one???? Nice to meet you Mr. Contradiciton. Wow ok GL man.

Last edited by CJJ; 03-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation