Sponsored by:

The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam90lx
I thought the "busted trailers" part was rude!
If you were joking, I retract my comment.Some may not take it as a joke though.
lol no not kidding. Its the truth and in the deep country we see it. More old camaros than vettes. But an occasional old beat up vette (it saddens me). Both the love the car doesnt receive and the scarey person that lives in those woods with everything I described above driving the car.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
3) Im sure GM is trying to change their image and demographics in general. First thing my wife said before I got my C6 last year was. "You are going to be the only 32 year old driving one, only old men drive vettes, with no hair and cheesy corvette jackets". Like a guy with a corvette with flames on it, and a license plate that says "C5 vette" and then even still with a License plate cover that says "corvette". Well no %$^& its a corvette, it already says it on the back of the car. Please stop this crap- its soooo tacky and embarrasing to the rest of us owners/fans. I am sure people of all ages agree with that.
WTF? Nothing like stereotyping the baby boomer generation.

At least they don't wear shorts that are about a foot too long, don't have bodies covered with tacky tatoos, and don't put fart can mufflers on their cars. I am sure people of all ages agree with that.

Michael
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
I feel it makes sense to make a post supporting the younger vette fans that are now "the right market". A few reasons why I think we are the right market. I sure hope someone from GM is reading, you guys know what is up. Hence targeting a new market to grow with.

1)Plenty of us do have money $$ $$. We grew up learning how to program in middle school, teaching our parents to surf the web, new design technology, advanced manufactoring, engineering, selling on wallstreet 80 hours a week jobs etc. You all did that, now its us.

2) Baby Boomers are... well getting old. That has been the primary market. Give that some thought and consider how GM feels about it for future planning.

3) Im sure GM is trying to change their image and demographics in general. First thing my wife said before I got my C6 last year was. "You are going to be the only 32 year old driving one, only old men drive vettes, with no hair and cheesy corvette jackets". Like a guy with a corvette with flames on it, and a license plate that says "C5 vette" and then even still with a License plate cover that says "corvette". Well no %$^& its a corvette, it already says it on the back of the car. Please stop this crap- its soooo tacky and embarrasing to the rest of us owners/fans. I am sure people of all ages agree with that.

I realize that on this forum 30-40 year olds may make up 5-10% of the members, and I have this feeling that a lot of them never speak a word. Just standing up for this crowd I belong in to you mighty elders.
I ain't young but I mostly agree with you. I bought my first Corvette at 19 ( a long time ago) and haven't been without one since. But some of the overdecorated Corvettes you complain about belong to guys who aspired all their lives to have a Corvette. Now that they've finally got one they want to treat it to all the personalized goodies they can. Its part of their dream. Hopefully the new Corvette will be able to attract more sophisticated young owners. Hopefully they'll judge the car on its merits and not be swayed by the image of past Corvettes and their owners.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL-1
I ain't young but I mostly agree with you. I bought my first Corvette at 19 ( a long time ago) and haven't been without one since. But some of the overdecorated Corvettes you complain about belong to guys who aspired all their lives to have a Corvette. Now that they've finally got one they want to treat it to all the personalized goodies they can. Its part of their dream. Hopefully the new Corvette will be able to attract more sophisticated young owners. Hopefully they'll judge the car on its merits and not be swayed by the image of past Corvettes and their owners.
ZL-1 you hit the hammer on the head. Thats exactley what Im hoping for too. Sophisticated. AGE is not the issue, but it changes as the market demands and forcasts change over time. GM is full of smart people and they are upfront about saying this.

Last edited by CJJ; 03-28-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,455 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I see quite a few young guys in vettes.

Obviously anecdotal, and thus meaningless.

But I do think it's on the up-tick and I think the success of Corvette Race Team has been at least one factor in that.

Given the C7 styling, I believe vette will increase its draw to the young guys. I'm 45 and bought my first vette in my late 30s. C7 will draw that crowd and younger IMO. Then it's just a matter of them affording it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 PM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by User24
Do you consider yourself image conscious? How do you feel about strangers adding 10 years to your actual age because they see you driving a vette?

In 10 or 15 years, do you see yourself still driving a vette and fitting the typical stereotype? Will you think less of yourself because you are older?

Corvette attracting a few younger drivers, does not really change anything. Harley Davidson made a model or two to attract younger riders, and while all the Harley riders I personally know are in their 20s, the fact is HD can't shake the image of the fat grey man riding in black leather. Corvette is not a status brand. Like a HD, they are more expensive than the cheap foreign import, but it does not really register to the public as a "cool" thing to have.

Why is it so important for some, to tell people on the internet how much money they make? The rat race was a baby boomer's favorite game.
Don't compare a Harley to a corvette. Harley's are under powered, over priced and will start staining your garage floor the day you bring it home from the dealer.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 AM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I see a big market for young men looking for used C7's. Those same guys will aspire to someday buy a new C8 or C9.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
... GM made a great desicion to make some changes, BUT heck thats just my opinion - And im pumped to be one of the first in my hometown with one. If someone doesnt like it, cool move on, DONT BUY IT. I dont care if someone doesnt like it, no need to make huge *** posts blasting GM, engineers, my demograhic, etc etc.

Also the cheesy $%^# that some vette owners do to their rides and fashion wise needs to stop lol. I love (hate) driving by a trailer park and seeing old vettes in front of a busted trailer. ---> market adjustment.
Wow, probably the biggest contradiction I've ever seen separated by a period.
e.g. You don't want to hear people diss the new one, which apparently you will be the first to enjoy in your town (we get it, you're kinda a big deal) yet you $h1t all over everyone and their cheesy trailer park fashions. I don't usually speak up on the forum, but you're giving a bad name to the "younger" crowd (30s-40s, lol). Maybe you should take some of your own medicine and stop judging a fellow vette owner for his BSMs or jacket etc...

P.S. I'm in my 20s, I don't have flames or a jacket. I think stuff like that looks tacky... FOR ME. Some guys/gals like that, so you won't see me judging people for it, and I'll still wave EVERY TIME they pass.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

So 40's is "younger". Awesome. Whenever I go to Ocean Springs Mississippi, I see a dilapidated house with 3 corvettes in pristine condition sitting up front. I always smile because I know that guy is happy
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by User24
Do you consider yourself image conscious? How do you feel about strangers adding 10 years to your actual age because they see you driving a vette?

In 10 or 15 years, do you see yourself still driving a vette and fitting the typical stereotype? Will you think less of yourself because you are older?

Corvette attracting a few younger drivers, does not really change anything. Harley Davidson made a model or two to attract younger riders, and while all the Harley riders I personally know are in their 20s, the fact is HD can't shake the image of the fat grey man riding in black leather. Corvette is not a status brand. Like a HD, they are more expensive than the cheap foreign import, but it does not really register to the public as a "cool" thing to have.

Why is it so important for some, to tell people on the internet how much money they make? The rat race was a baby boomer's favorite game.
Wrong, the Corvette is a status brand and definitely a "cool" thing to have. Too many people underestimate the Corvette on this site.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Well the OP does make some hurtful but valid points about the typical owner stigma. Although I'm doubting his motives.

But these days I see all sorts of people driving Corvette's. The other day I saw a super model type girl (probably in her lower 30's) step out of a C6 Convertible at Starbucks holding her $5000 Louis Vuitton hand bag. And I see younger well kept professionals driving Corvette's all the time. So I guess it's slowly starting to spread out more evenly these days.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458

But these days I see all sorts of people driving Corvette's. The other day I saw a super model type girl (probably in her lower 30's) step out of a C6 Convertible at Starbucks holding her $5000 Louis Vuitton hand bag. And
Oh no, now the Corvette will be labeled a "girls car".
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Davidl81
Instructor

Originally Posted by millpond
Lol
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 AM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CJJ
ZL-1 you hit the hammer on the head. Thats exactley what Im hoping for too. Sophisticated. AGE is not the issue, but it changes as the market demands and forcasts change over time. GM is full of smart people and they are upfront about saying this.
I think you mean "nail".........sheese! I would assume guys like ZL-1 and yourself, you know "sophisticated" people, would know better? Listen here, it's the owners car and they can do what they want to with them, ok?!! Guys like you are the BIGGEST turn-off in all of Corvette World.......total dill weeds!! Hey, I bet ur girlfriends are not nearly as nice looking as us guys who, you know, are more "sophisticated" with choosing women? In fact, they're probably UGLY!!!

Last edited by robbiC5; 03-29-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by millpond
You should have seen this girl!!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did a post after talking with a Caddy Rep. We will just have to wait see how these
comments versus his play out. Some young blow and go, but when it come time
to put the money out, things change.

Know many are back home with mommy and
daddy so, rent and food free = Corvette money
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
I feel it makes sense to make a post supporting the younger vette fans that are now "the right market". A few reasons why I think we are the right market. I sure hope someone from GM is reading, you guys know what is up. Hence targeting a new market to grow with.

1)Plenty of us do have money $$ $$. We grew up learning how to program in middle school, teaching our parents to surf the web, new design technology, advanced manufactoring, engineering, selling on wallstreet 80 hours a week jobs etc. You all did that, now its us.

2) Baby Boomers are... well getting old. That has been the primary market. Give that some thought and consider how GM feels about it for future planning.

5) Corvette needs to compete with the competition, and it this is growing. One being the GTR interests, 30k difference to a guy like me that can afford a new vette is not a huge deal. Hell I can buy a 2009 GTR for less than 60k. Godzilla 100k vs. Corvette 70k (really not a big deal). When we are looking for a hobby car and can afford 70, 100 isn't much more.

I realize that on this forum 30-40 year olds may make up 5-10% of the members, and I have this feeling that a lot of them never speak a word. Just standing up for this crowd I belong in to you mighty elders.
It would more sense if your post made sense-could you get more incoherent? If you are bothered by the image the car projects and stereotypes, why would you buy it in the first place?

Get notified of new replies

To The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation

Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Lets look at your points.

1. No, there is not a big market for 60k+ cars for kids. As to the latter portion I can build my own computers, wrote the code for my home theater remote, etc. My kids taught me patience, thats about it. Dont condescend to think you are smarter than those who have already learned what you will still be learning a good many years from now.

2. Old people will always be the primary market for toys at the Corvettes price point. Nothing you say or do can change the fact that it takes most people a good chunk of their lives to reach a point where they have the discretionary income to buy goods like the Corvette. Internet ballers don't buy Corvettes, the primary buyers are older established people that can actually afford them and its not going to change. Deal with it.

3. Someone from the 4" fartcan, neon, monster wing, day glow graphics generation has given up all rights in perpetuity to ever comment on the taste of another generation although I actually agree with the bad taste portion. As to the rest of this point high school is over, stop worrying about what the other kids think.

5. Sorry but 30k is of note to most people in the real world and in no way considered insignificant. I recognize that internet ballers consider it a bar tab but as we already know, internet ballers do not buy Corvettes.

I did get a good laugh from your post but you wont understand why for some years yet.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Twerp.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool new c7 section not only gives information on the latest corvette but the birth of a troll.

Thanks for the laughs

Quick Reply: The Next Vette for me and my boys - the Y generation