C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Peters Youtube C7 Taillight Explanation (Apololgy?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Tom Peters Youtube C7 Taillight Explanation (Apololgy?)

If you go on Youtube and search C7 Tallights, you will find GM's Tom Peters trying to explain and defend the Camaro tail lights on the new Corvette. Mr. Peters spends the early part of his video telling us how he and the other designers wanted to go in a radically different direction (why?) and the tail lights don't look like Camaro tail lights anyway. The second half of his video seems to be a rambling admission that the new C7 tail lights do in fact mimic the Camaro, and hey, what's wrong with that anyway? He goes on to tell us the design team was going after a younger buying audience...

His demeanor and presentation seems nervous and unsure, like someone who knows he has irritated and angered his primary customer base, but can't for whatever reason back down and simply admit and correct the error.

I've owned Corvettes for decades, and yes, I'm 57 and currently own a 1982 CE, 1984 Z51, 1988 4+3, a beautiful burgundy/saddle 1990, and have plans to buy more C4s and perhaps a C5 or two. When I and my kids were younger, and I had to deal with car seats, day care and sedans, I had to sell my 78 Silver Anniversary Edition. To my eternal regret. Well, I'm finally at an age and income level where I can buy what I want car wise. Wow, that sounds more like the demographic that would actually go out and buy a C7 than a 30 or 40 year old with kids, doesn't it? Good luck, Mr. Peters, marketing a $70+K two seat sports car to that younger audience...

Chevy has since the late 1970s systematically priced the Corvette well beyond what anyone but us older guys and gals can afford. Or actually go out and buy because of children and such. Like it or not, the target market for the C7 is an older crowd. And will remain so unless GM cuts the price by about two thirds and adds rear seats.

So, why did GM decide to anger the primary target demographic for the C7 by making it look like a Camaro from behind? Mr. Peter's video did not explain that. And that he even felt the need to try suggests he knows what a mistake it was to depart from such an iconic styling cue as the four round tail lights.

I will turn 60 in September of 2015. And for many years my plan has been to go to Bolling Green and do the whole bit, the assembly tour and all. And leave with a brand new C7 to add to my collection. Frankly I was originally going to do that when I turned 55, and buy a new C6, but the Toyota style headlights on the C6 put a stop to that.

And now, Camaro tail lights on the C7 have utterly ruled out any thought of buying a C7 let alone going to Kentucky for the insult. It seems like GM and the Corvmaro design team are actively trying to alienate their primary customers but turning the Corvette into something that 'goes in a radically different direction'.

If I wanted to 'go in a different direction' I'd buy a Viper. And now I just might. Partly for spite, and partly to send a message. I don't like GM slapping at me after I've bought so many Corvettes in my life.

I can only say I hope other Corvette lovers who respect the tradition and iconography of the car close their wallets to the C7 as well. A boycott of the Corvmaro would likely convince GM as well as Mr. Peters and his ilk that staying true to the Corvette styling cues, and respecting the customer base is simply good business.

And if enough people refuse to buy the C7 Corvmaro, then the 2015 C8 might actually have retractable headlights and four round tail lights, all in a traditional C3ish shape.

THAT would be a new Corvette.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally love the C7. I have no problems with it at all and I love the C6 as well. My least favorite is actually the C4, followed by the C5. My favorite being the C3, The C2 and C7 are tied for second favorite, followed by the C6. To each his own. Sorry, I can't and won't join in on the boycott. It's nice to be traditional but you gotta keep up with the times sometimes also.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
KaMiSxY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C7 will be the best selling generation yet....mark my words. Iam sure there are others who would agree. GM is offering us a better Vette. Its like the latest greatest model bent over in your face....Who am I to say no to that?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
glhs386
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thread originality points: 0.0
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because at some point your buyers die off. Its the same as "my generation's music was better" or TV programs were better in my day. Sorry but if you cannot understand why a company wants to go after newer, younger buyers I do not know what to tell you. You all bitched about the fixed headlights of the C6. Go back and read the outrage of no pop-up headlights. Now look at how outdated those things look.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

IBTL - it's coming!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
have retractable headlights and four round tail lights, all in a traditional C3ish shape.

THAT would be a new Corvette.
Not bashing, but that kinda describes the C5 (which I like)

and did I say - IBTL!!

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Peters Youtube C7 Taillight Explanation (Apololgy?)

Quick Reply: Tom Peters Youtube C7 Taillight Explanation (Apololgy?)