Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Fortunately, reported failures of the MR shocks here on CF are very rare.
They happened though but even if they did not, MR is a lot like leaf springs, well designed by the factory for the way GM sees them fit but impossible to replace to change the settings.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Why is that a "Big Problem"? Are you thinking ride quality?
Price...you have to pay for the Z51 to get shocks..that is clear on the sales information which has been available for some time.

Last edited by Bill17601; 03-28-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
They happened though but even if they did not, MR is a lot like leaf springs, well designed by the factory for the way GM sees them fit but impossible to replace to change the settings.
Not impossible as I recall someone found a way to 'fool the system' into accepting a different shock but I don't remember the specifics. Maybe that'll be easier with the C7. But if you don't want to replace with a different kind of shock, you're good.

I would NOT recommend the MR system if you wanted the ultimate flexibility in an adjustable suspension for tracking or whatever. The vast majority of Corvette buyers will never need or want that as the MR works well for a huge number of folks.

The ZR1 came with the MR system and has obviously done a fantastic job. The Z06 with MR is considered a better suspension overall with less skittishness in cornering.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

I just want the car to drive & enjoy! No tracking!!

I had 2005 cpe (bought used with 2k miles) with the Z51 package! I didn't like it!
It rode rough & the tires were very soft & were gone in 17k miles
not abusing them!

In 2008 I picked up at BG Cpe with F55 Mag control the tires lasted above 3ok miles & rode better! A couple months ago I replaced the original tires with Michelin Pilot sport zp's!! It rode that much better!
Had I known the Michelins made that much difference I would have gotten them put on the day after getting home for BG!

I'm getting C7 & was hoping to just order the F55 again, now it seems we have to get the Z51 with it! It will probably have the soft tires on the F55/Z51 package!!

We'll see when final options are revealed!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2

I had 2005 cpe (bought used with 2k miles) with the Z51 package! I didn't like it!
not abusing them!

In 2008 I picked up at BG Cpe with F55 Mag control the tires lasted above 3ok miles & rode better! A couple months ago I replaced the original tires with Michelin Pilot sport zp's!! It rode that much better!
Had I known the Michelins made that much difference I would have gotten them put on the day after getting home for BG!

I'm getting C7 & was hoping to just order the F55 again, now it seems we have to get the Z51 with it! It will probably have the soft tires on the F55/Z51 package!!

from everything released so far, the Michelin's are going to be standard across the board. Z51 or not.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Price...you have to pay for the Z51 to get shocks..that is clear on the sales information which has been available for some time.

Got cha
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

not abusing them!

Experience varies based on driving preferences. I run Conti 275/30/19 and 325/25/20 on my 09 base with Z51 and it feels like a very cushy ride.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dmporter31
from everything released so far, the Michelin's are going to be standard across the board. Z51 or not.

Right they had GY's across the board in 08 but the base/F55 got different GY's then the Z51!!

Now they 'll have Michelins across the board but probably different ones for the Z51/F55 package!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by petermj
Experience varies based on driving preferences. I run Conti 275/30/19 and 325/25/20 on my 09 base with Z51 and it feels like a very cushy ride.

Did you own it with the original GY's!!

I may have liked the Z51 with the Michelins.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Did you own it with the original GY's!!

I may have liked the Z51 with the Michelins.
Yup, both the OEM rims and tires are a permanent decoration in my attic
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Boil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that having the MSRC is almost a requirement to get full usage out of the 5-position Driver Mode Selector…

Also, to totally speculate; what if, when choosing the 'Track Mode', the MSRC (somehow) actually lowered the car some…!?!

That would be sweet…
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

not abusing them!

I think your experience w. Z51 as an option and the original tires is not always shared. At least, not by me. Now, eventually switching to the ZP Michelins did change the ride to softer, but not necessarily better. And I have/had no problems taking long trips w. the Z51 suspension on my car. Just so you know...
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

In my opinion the most important options are z51, NPP and MRC .

This MRC is an advance in technology that truly separates corvettes from all other sports cars. Get the MRC suspension. JMO
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JerriVette

This MRC is an advance in technology that truly separates corvettes from all other sports cars. Get the MRC suspension. JMO
Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 AM
haveblue
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really appreciate the feedback from everybody who posted!

Definitely looking into 1LT with Z51, MSRC, MT, Performance Exhaust, Laguna Blue, Black Wheels, Yellow Calipers, and maybe the Sport Seat. Just have to wait until the pricing and driving reviews start coming in.

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The dampers help keep the car's poise. They don't help much in the making the car "stick". That's the responsibility of the tires.

jas
I'm probably getting it wrong, but I was thinking something along the lines of Porsche's PDCC system in the 911. From what I've read, it makes the car almost too perfect and video game-y.

Originally Posted by Boil
Also, to totally speculate; what if, when choosing the 'Track Mode', the MSRC (somehow) actually lowered the car some…!?!

That would be sweet…
I would like that.

Originally Posted by AORoads
However, it's a bit difficult imo, to predict how the Z51 or the F55 will be in this new generation of Corvette. After all, everything improves over time, model years and certainly with a new generation, C7.

I would say that the skipping about some claim for the C6 Z51 suspension may or may not exist in the C7. And I don't think I've read of anyone who knows what the F55 suspension package will be like as compared to the last generation, F55 in the C6.

So, whatever decision a person makes, until it's out there and tested side-by-side with a C6, it's going to be a best-guess decision. jmo.
True. We won't really know until forum members and magazines start getting cars to drive. Fun to speculate for now. Maybe my local Chevy dealer will let me test drive a bunch of differently configured models. (yeah, right )
Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 PM
notalk
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think your experience w. Z51 as an option and the original tires is not always shared. At least, not by me. Now, eventually switching to the ZP Michelins did change the ride to softer, but not necessarily better. And I have/had no problems taking long trips w. the Z51 suspension on my car. Just so you know...
I think his Z51 experience is widely shared. I have read a great number of posts complaining about how harsh the Z51 (or GS) is. I would say there are many Corvetter buyers who prefer a smoother ride for cruising than a stiffer, keep the tires on the road at all times ride for track use. I am not one of them, but there are plenty out there.

While I can appreciate the F55 when added to the Z51, I think there are many who view the F55 as the cushier cruising alternative to the track suspension that others want.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
notalk
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

And, all other options are simply to distinguish your Corvette from others.

All I plan to get are Z51, F55 and NPP.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions

Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dmkozak
And, all other options are simply to distinguish your Corvette from others.

All I plan to get are Z51, F55 and NPP.
those are my "must haves" as well. I've been told that the transparent top is worthwhile and I'll spring for the 2LT primarily for the HUD. $65K would be a good ballpark guesstimation based on a comparably equipped C6 and a 10% increase.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I think his Z51 experience is widely shared. I have read a great number of posts complaining about how harsh the Z51 (or GS) is. I would say there are many Corvetter buyers who prefer a smoother ride for cruising than a stiffer, keep the tires on the road at all times ride for track use. I am not one of them, but there are plenty out there.

While I can appreciate the F55 when added to the Z51, I think there are many who view the F55 as the cushier cruising alternative to the track suspension that others want.
I guess we all have different opinions about what is a nice ride quality. My C6 Z06 is no worse then my old base suspension 98 C5(no Z51). I test drove a new 05 base C6(no Z51) when they first came out and it was slightly softer ride then my C5.

I drive my Z06 on long cruises all over the country, and except for the terrible roads in northern Vermont with their non repaired frost heaves, I haven't had any back problems. I drove 860 miles from Concord, NC(Charlotte speedway) back to Springfield, MO a couple of years ago(when I was a young 68 years old) non stop except for gas, food and potty breaks. I wasn't any more beat then driving 750 miles to visit my folks in San Antonio, TX in my Mercedes sedan.

I did find that when I changed the OE Goodyear run flats to Bridgestone run flats, the ride was slightly better, but not that noticeable(damn bunch quieter though and way better traction)

Must be a reason why only 25% of C6 owners chose the mag ride suspension, since it's always been an option.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-29-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by haveblue

I'm probably getting it wrong, but I was thinking something along the lines of Porsche's PDCC system in the 911. From what I've read, it makes the car almost too perfect and video game-y.

True. We won't really know until forum members and magazines start getting cars to drive. Fun to speculate for now. Maybe my local Chevy dealer will let me test drive a bunch of differently configured models. (yeah, right )
Actually, you are correct, if not technically. If the shocks or suspension don't do a good job, they will affect how your car handles, AND how your tires stick. So, handling can definitely be affected by the quality, and settings of your shocks. That said, usually one of the best improvements to a car's handling that you can make are different tires (or even different tire settings such as air pressure and alignment).

And that is why I wrote in my first sentence, "...is not always shared."

I'd also disagree that those who bought Z51 in the prior C6 gen, "widely" complain about its harsh ride. But that, we can disagree on.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride Control Questions