Sponsored by:

C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Len16
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes

There should be some preference to previous buyers of new corvetttes.

Allocations to dealers based on their performance seems to miss the point.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Len16

you're serious? This isn't Ferrari, welcome to the US - land of the free, home of the brave, yadda, yadda. If I have $65,000? C7 or any other 'Vette I can buy for the price is mine.

Last edited by dmporter31; 03-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

That's not going to fly!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So current owners would be excluded? We should have a height and weight requirements instead plus 8 mile jog before dealer accepts the money for the car

Alternatively, we could have a Corvette bootcamp to make sure anyone is worthy of owning one.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

That's what I had to do when I bought my Ferrari's. Also had to trade in my older Ferrari for my new one to the dealer. They always wanted the trade in so that they could resell. That's what happens in a high demand situation. It would not surprise me to see some version of this at the big Vette dealers if demand gets crazy.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
That's what I had to do when I bought my Ferrari's. Also had to trade in my older Ferrari for my new one to the dealer. They always wanted the trade in so that they could resell. That's what happens in a high demand situation. It would not surprise me to see some version of this at the big Vette dealers if demand gets crazy.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM
miss peel
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to agree to track the car then write a review on how it campares to the C6.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Vettes are NOT Ferrari's. Ferrari gets that because production is so limited and the cars are so wanted...albeit they sink in value just like most other cars. Never got the whole Ferrari cult thing...

Lamborghini doesn't make you trade your old for new...and for me, they're a hell of lot more exclusive / unique and exotic, not to mention insane performance.

In any case, the day GM tries to implement that type of policy will be the day I tell them to take the Vette and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL. It will never happen. They're simple production cars that don't sell out like Ferrari's.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I say we start smaller and with a more practical program: A combination intelligence and attitude test to subscribe to Corvette Forum
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...what if you wanted to sell it yourself, for more money ?
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Right you are. That's a great way to bring new people to the world of corvettes.
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

They will sell them to people who have the money to buy them. That is the American way.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Just letting you all know that's what Ferrari dealers have done. And if you don't think some long time Corvette buyers like Harvey Gluck get preferential treatment you're delusional.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM
TorqueDriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see offering current Vette owners a loyalty discount like they presently do, but not pushing it further than that.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Just letting you all know that's what Ferrari dealers have done. And if you don't think some long time Corvette buyers like Harvey Gluck get preferential treatment you're delusional.
Your claim of crazy demand for C7 seems to be the delusional part. GM will buld as many as they can sell, not the other way around.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Admrl94
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
From what I understand, not giving the dealer first right of refusal might cost you the opportunity to buy the next new Ferrari. The cost of admission, rightly or wrongly.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Oh yeah?

I say they should let us C4 & C5 guys get the C7 before the rest of you guys. Because we clearly appreciate the car's longevity more than you buyem and then sell em and buy new againers do.

Get notified of new replies

To C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes

Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Oh yeah?

I say they should let us C4 & C5 guys get the C7 before the rest of you guys. Because we clearly appreciate the car's longevity more than you buyem and then sell em and buy new againers do.

And another Instigator jumps into the fray
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I had to sign a agreement with the dealer that if I sold my new model Ferrari (Newly Released Model) before first year I would have to split the profit with the dealer. When the Enzo came out some dealers were selling them at sticker and the new buyer would go and sell it for a 400-500K profit. The Ferrari company realized that this kind of contract would keep speculators out of true ownership. They also instituted mandatory lease to buy on special models so that the true Ferrari owners were the ones getting the cars vs. speculators. There will be some craziness on the C7 until the demand settles down, but I remember high prices for both the ZO6 and ZR1 when they both came out.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I had to sign a agreement with the dealer that if I sold my new model Ferrari (Newly Released Model) before first year I would have to split the profit with the dealer. When the Enzo came out some dealers were selling them at sticker and the new buyer would go and sell it for a 400-500K profit. The Ferrari company realized that this kind of contract would keep speculators out of true ownership. They also instituted mandatory lease to buy on special models so that the true Ferrari owners were the ones getting the cars vs. speculators. There will be some craziness on the C7 until the demand settles down, but I remember high prices for both the ZO6 and ZR1 when they both came out.

I was not a prospective buyer at that time, but I clearly recall that Ferrari Agreement. Only it made sense for Ferrari and the Enzo as demand far exceeded total production even before the first unit was built.

That is not and will not be the case with the C7. I would agree that initial clamoring for the car will be there, and some will pay premiums for exclusive early ownership, but that will be the minority and short lived.

Quick Reply: C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes