Sponsored by:

C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
I've bought a new Corvette before. So what? I don't deserve better treatment from GM. Neither does anyone else.
Yeah, I think where people are getting confused is that this is really a dealership thing. Once those cars get loaded on the hauler at Bowling Green, GM is done with them.

We have a Hendrick dealership here that is the place to go in town for a Corvette. This dealership sponsors a local club and hosts one of the largest all Vette shows in the area. A salesman told me, last week, that they have 40 of these things presold. What happens here, and some of you know this, is that those folks that buy a new Vette evey couple, few years, are on their salesman's short list. So the 'regulars' are going to get the first shot at them, at the dealer level. Any decent salesman is already going to have his Corvette customers in the line, no doubt. If someone like me, who has never bought a new car from them comes in, and someone who has bought a new Vette evey other year comes in, who is that salesman going to give 'preferancial treatment'? If I'm the salesman, I'm going with the guy I Know will coming back in two years, pretty simple to me.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

GM should have a contract with dealers to split the Additional Dealer Markup.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a very reliable source that told me the younger the buyer, the higher GM will put them on the allotment list. This way GM can start to change the "old man" stereotype.

So if your hair is gray or thinning and you have a large potbelly and an affinity for gold chains, it could be a long wait for ya!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
It's a shame the subtlety was lost on our compatriots. /sigh.

When at first you don't succeed, try, try again . . . . . . .
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jinx
Except for one little detail...GM sells the cars to dealers, and dealers sell the cars to us. So "GM" has absolutely nothing to do with mark ups, who the car gets sold to, etc. Once that car is loaded on the hauler from the factory, it is now all up to the dealer that bought it.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Except for one little detail...GM sells the cars to dealers, and dealers sell the cars to us. So "GM" has absolutely nothing to do with mark ups, who the car gets sold to, etc. Once that car is loaded on the hauler from the factory, it is now all up to the dealer that bought it.
Thank you for stating the obvious. Perhaps I should have done the same and said "Hey, and this is just an amusing what-if, what if GM changed the sales agreement with the dealer such that the dealer had to send half of any additional markup back to GM?"

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really who cares If your buying the first cars off the production line, you either have to much money or you have a ego problem of being the first and needing some attention, which won't last The dealers pretty much can do what they want, GM almost has no control or cares what they do It's been proven in many of the threads over Customer Service - it's the dealers call on how they sell them

Here's the down side of getting the first cars, the bugs haven't been worked out of the NEW production line and your buying GM's production training cars, your relaying on the good old unions boys & girls to get it right the first few months, not going happen! So, go out and buy the first cars, they'll be in the maintenance bays at their dealers being fixed by people that don't have a clue about the car or sitting on used car lots before long.

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 03-18-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Thank you for stating the obvious. Perhaps I should have done the same and said "Hey, and this is just an amusing what-if, what if GM changed the sales agreement with the dealer such that the dealer had to send half of any additional markup back to GM?"

Sorry for any confusion.
Obviously was not obvious to you until I mentioned it.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Obviously was not obvious to you until I mentioned it.
No, the fact that GM sells to dealers and doesn't control what markup dealers apply to customers is common knowledge, but I guess you were so anxious to "educate" me that you missed the point of my comment. Maybe you should lay off the beer.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Based on some of the appearance mods some have used to bastardize their Corvettes, GM should research the CF overall to see which previous owners really deserve to get a C7.
This is one for the books... I guess if you put chrome on your Harley where the manufacturer did not, then you basterdized it...

Is it also basterdization to change tires, wheels, shocks, muffler, headers, cold air intake, a fuel rail? Does Lingenfelter basterdise the corvette?

I do hope you were just joking because if not I am once again amazed at my fellow man-kind...

I basterdise most everything I own, I'm proud to say. I even take the bun off my Wendy's chicken sandwich, it taste better that way. I basterdised my .308 it's sub MOA now and a tack driver at 800 yards...

If GM had looked on this group they never would have put the limiting LT1 inthe C7 and the interior would look as good as the name they gave the car.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
Really who cares If your buying the first cars off the production line, you either have to much money or you have a ego problem of being the first and needing some attention, which won't last The dealers pretty much can do what they want, GM almost has no control or cares what they do It's been proven in many of the threads over Customer Service - it's the dealers call on how they sell them

Here's the down side of getting the first cars, the bugs haven't been worked out of the NEW production line and your buying GM's production training cars, your relaying on the good old unions boys & girls to get it right the first few months, not going happen! So, go out and buy the first cars, they'll be in the maintenance bays at their dealers being fixed by people that don't have a clue about the car or sitting on used car lots before long.
All true but that xxxx-xxxx-000001 Vin number will always resell better than the rest
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwfredette
All true but that xxxx-xxxx-000001 Vin number will always resell better than the rest
But unfortunately it will depreciate ALOT more.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

...and the interior would look as good as the name they gave the car.
Say what you will about the C7 but this is the only Corvette interior that has been decent in a LONG time. It will bring back buyers who wouldn't even touch a C5/C6 due to the subpar interior. The C7 brings the car up to modern day European levels IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
bwfredette
Racer

Originally Posted by gthal
Say what you will about the C7 but this is the only Corvette interior that has been decent in a LONG time. It will bring back buyers who wouldn't even touch a C5/C6 due to the subpar interior. The C7 brings the car up to modern day European levels IMO.
I thought so too at first but after seeing the gauge cluster (video game screen) and the internal panoramic/3d display, I felt rather disappointed. The seats are nicer, the gauges are worse and nothing else looked much different...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

No, the fact that GM sells to dealers and doesn't control what markup dealers apply to customers is common knowledge, but I guess you were so anxious to "educate" me that you missed the point of my comment. Maybe you should lay off the beer.
I guess you're right, I suppose I did miss your point. I wasn't thinking I was educating, so much as perhaps reminding. Anyway, I certainly meant no malice towards you. BTW...By the Grace of God I haven't had a beer in almost 17 years. So no drunk typing here, although my fingers do move faster than my brain sometimes. Sorry if I upset you in any way.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 03-19-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I say we start smaller and with a more practical program: A combination intelligence and attitude test to subscribe to Corvette Forum
This
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I guess you're right, I suppose I did miss your point. I wasn't thinking I was educating, so much as perhaps reminding. Anyway, I certainly meant no malice towards you. BTW...By the Grace of God I haven't had a beer in almost 17 years. So no drunk typing here, although my fingers do move faster than my brain sometimes. Sorry if I upset you in any way.
This is a "first class" Forum member. If more people would be as gracious as this member the forum would be more effective and productive.. IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes

Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,131 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
That's not going to fly!!!
Interesting concept none the less.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill17601
This is a "first class" Forum member. If more people would be as gracious as this member the forum would be more effective and productive.. IMHO.
Well, not really. The pre edited post was a little more "defensive", then I realized Jinx was right. I hate it when that happens.

Anyway back on topic...

Now, this is only from observation, as I have never been fortunate enough yet to buy a new Vette from a dealer. But it seems to me that these folks get hit with e-mails and letters, and probably phone calls from their salesperson. I guess this could be considered a "first crack" at the new Vette?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is one for the books... I guess if you put chrome on your Harley where the manufacturer did not, then you basterdized it...

Is it also basterdization to change tires, wheels, shocks, muffler, headers, cold air intake, a fuel rail? Does Lingenfelter basterdise the corvette?

I do hope you were just joking because if not I am once again amazed at my fellow man-kind...

I basterdise most everything I own, I'm proud to say. I even take the bun off my Wendy's chicken sandwich, it taste better that way. I basterdised my .308 it's sub MOA now and a tack driver at 800 yards...

If GM had looked on this group they never would have put the limiting LT1 inthe C7 and the interior would look as good as the name they gave the car.
Maybe you didn't get that this whole thread is a joke...

Quick Reply: C7s Should Be Sold First to People Who Have Previously Purchased New Corvettes