Sponsored by:

Video - Tom Peters on the new Corvette's rear end and tail light design

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
How can you possibly call this a negative way of shaking things up? When everyone was talking about a base 6 banger or a 5.5 just months ago, this C7 is an amazing bucket of positive for the Corvette. All-aluminum framed lineup, eLSD, improved HP/torque, vastly improved interior, yadda yadda yadda.

I love it and lots of folks do. The real issues are cost, final performance numbers, drivability options, etc., not the friggin tail lights!
i'm talking about the whole rear end .
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

From Ed Welburn:
"The reception has been incredible, we wanted to design a Corvette to appeal to a younger customer, dealers are calling me, the response has been huge, they are getting inundated by phone calls and e-mails, and theres been a much younger customer than in the past".

Yeah those Corvette guys don't have a clue..
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
Now this would work......

And then smooth out that bottom half from all that play and you have a winner...
And ditch the Bicycle reflectors!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
That looks realy cool, but it's the racoon surround that has to go. Can some one chop that surround completely out so we can see how that would look. I'm sure that either the stock tail lamps or these here would look awesome without the surround.

I know it needs vents (well the Z-51 at least).
Really would like to see the vents body color in this pic.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

[/QUOTE]

In my humble opinion this design would have people screaming louder then they do now.

Corvettes have duel elements ever since 1961..what are they doing !

I purchased one new Corvette. The others were all used. This Corvette will be new a museum delivery . From my name on the dash plaque to the Cyber Gray exterior, the red interior, chrome wheels and red calipers.. I can not wait.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure there will be aftermarket exhaust pipes like this and considering how many C6 owners already black out their side marker lights, I see that being the treatment for the reflectors too. Hell, you could probably do the Plasti-Dip treatment to them.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Dash plaque? They give dash plaques now for Museum Delivery?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
riverway
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The deepest dive yet by Tom on the rear end design...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjIpx...ture=endscreen
I spoke with Mr Peters at the Amelia Island show and the guy is a class act, very humble for a designer, and he really cares about his Corvette creation. At the risk of getting torched here on the family feud, the design of the car is awesome. Two of my personal observations about my own C6 have been addressed in spades on the new C7. The first, the headlights on my C6 are a tad boring, given the huge advances that have been made in headlight technology. The second observation about my C6 and the C5 is that in order to give the car that really nice trunk space, they had to make the rear end of the car quite large, which was not that great. In my observation, the new C7 addresses both of these issues and does a great job of evolving our beloved Corvette into the next generation.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riverway
I spoke with Mr Peters at the Amelia Island show and the guy is a class act, very humble for a designer, and he really cares about his Corvette creation. At the risk of getting torched here on the family feud, the design of the car is awesome. Two of my personal observations about my own C6 have been addressed in spades on the new C7. The first, the headlights on my C6 are a tad boring, given the huge advances that have been made in headlight technology. The second observation about my C6 and the C5 is that in order to give the car that really nice trunk space, they had to make the rear end of the car quite large, which was not that great. In my observation, the new C7 addresses both of these issues and does a great job of evolving our beloved Corvette into the next generation.
Very interesting...thanks for posting! I'd really like to meet the man.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
riverway
Instructor

Very interesting...thanks for posting! I'd really like to meet the man.
While all the GM Executives were standing around getting the glory, Mr Peters stood off to the side and answered all questions anyone cared to ask him. Outside the seminar room, the two VP's had huge line ups of people waiting to get their autographs on the give away posters. Mr Peters was still inside the seminar room talking with a few of the Corvette owners there. When I asked him to sign my copy of the poster for the car he designed, he was very gracious and very humbled by my asking. When they unveiled the C7, he was right there in the crowd of 900 Corvette owners, all around the car like honey bees, answering all their questions, and he did not leave the car or the crowd until they finally drove the car out of the room, and even then he stayed and answered any questions that individuals wanted to ask him.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,674 Posts

That looks realy cool, but it's the racoon surround that has to go.
paint it body colored.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Yes that was going to be my solution, in need, but it would be even better if the plastic piece disappears altogether. Even with paint, one can still see it and it just looks terrible...cheap and tacky. And from an aero perspective, the lattice absolutely kills airflow - you never obstruct an exit like that.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that was going to be my solution, in need, but it would be even better if the plastic piece disappears altogether. Even with paint, one can still see it and it just looks terrible...cheap and tacky. And from an aero perspective, the lattice absolutely kills airflow - you never obstruct an exit like that.
Smoothing out the bumps would help, right now, it looks like the C7 is ready to pitch a loaf or more like two. The bottom of the outer edges should be rounded off and blended with the bottom a bit better. Those reflectors should go as well.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Dash plaque? They give dash plaques now for Museum Delivery?
Yes includes your name and vin. Sits below the controls on the center stack.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks, Bill. I had no idea. Wasn't that way for my '08. Maybe next time.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
poppikosh2day
Cruising

When the new Camaro came out a lot of people disliked the front, saying it looked like it had a face, it was smiling. Yet if you go to a Chevy dealership, as I did, you will find that they can sell them everyday - no problem.

As always, change is sometimes uneasy and difficult to deal with, especially when it has to do with something you are passionate about, like the Corvette.

Since we cannot change what they have set in stone concerning the new style of the 2014 Corvette, we should look for ways to accomodate our passion for such a great American icon and see one sitting in our own driveway one day in the future.

Thanks for posting a great vid.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

All I can say is that there will be a Vert in my future around 2016,that will be around the time my bride calms down from me buying a new Crystal Red Vert last month

Get notified of new replies

To Video - Tom Peters on the new Corvette's rear end and tail light design

Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 AM
poppikosh2day
Cruising

Here is something else -

The Chevy dealerships around Florida, where I live, want to buy newer C6 Corvettes from current owners.
Why - one may ask? Because they can sell them faster than when they first came out.
The largest Corvette dealership in Florida, Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City, acquired all the new C6 Corvettes from the factory they could get their hands on.
I too will get a C7 in the future but after they bring out a Z06, because it is what I have now.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by poppikosh2day
When the new Camaro came out a lot of people disliked the front, saying it looked like it had a face, it was smiling. Yet if you go to a Chevy dealership, as I did, you will find that they can sell them everyday - no problem.

As always, change is sometimes uneasy and difficult to deal with, especially when it has to do with something you are passionate about, like the Corvette.

Since we cannot change what they have set in stone concerning the new style of the 2014 Corvette, we should look for ways to accomodate our passion for such a great American icon and see one sitting in our own driveway one day in the future.

Thanks for posting a great vid.
I still don't like the new Camaro style. 4 years hasn't changed my mind on it.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I still don't like the new Camaro style. 4 years hasn't changed my mind on it.
I didn't at first either but I do now. I do NOT like the retro styled interior though but the exterior really grew on me.

Quick Reply: Video - Tom Peters on the new Corvette's rear end and tail light design