Sponsored by:

ZR1 or 1000HP Hennessey C7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
srthouston
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikePeters@Hennessey
We will make 1,000 horsepower with the LT1. Unlike most GM Specific shops, we've been building direct injection cars from other manufacturers for years. Not a problem.
Hey Mike.. tell the guys I am ready to pickup my 600 Charger and 650 Challenger
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
0MikePeters@Hennessey
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one is yours? If you've got one up here you're very familiar with our stockpile of 392 builds we're juggling!

Which may I also add, we are the first one to crack the encryption code, and were the first ones selling and completing boosted 392's without the PCM swap.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
No.47
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It seems to me a lot of Vette guys (which is not to say all) are biased against Hennessey because it's considered a Viper shop.

I'd just like to take a moment to applaud Hennessey's excellent decision to use the LS2 with the twin turbo setup instead of the overweight Viper V10, for the build of the most recent entry in the worlds fastest car.

Given that it was originally a Corvette engine, I'm curios about how the block is setup for use in the Venom GT and what kind of heads are used?

Also, when are you guys going to do a top speed run?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by No.47
It seems to me a lot of Vette guys (which is not to say all) are biased against Hennessey because it's considered a Viper shop.

I'd just like to take a moment to applaud Hennessey's excellent decision to use the LS2 with the twin turbo setup instead of the overweight Viper V10, for the build of the most recent entry in the worlds fastest car.

Given that it was originally a Corvette engine, I'm curios about how the block is setup for use in the Venom GT and what kind of heads are used?

Venom is Lotus Elise, could be difficult to fit Viper motor in it, you think? Not like they really had a choice

You have to design a car with a chasis designed to use large motor

Seems to work just fine in this super rare Alfa.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
No.47
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petermj
Venom is Lotus Elise, could be difficult to fit Viper motor in it, you think? Not like they really had a choice
From what I've read the original plan was to use the Viper engine, but it was eliminated in favor of weight savings.

All I've been able to find regarding the build is that it uses a sleeved ls2, but that's about it.

Also, back to the topic at hand, which direct injection motors has Hennessey worked on?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Gosh... I was SO hoping this thread would just go away.

There is no reason to give Hennessey another opportunity to market vaporware. Mike has been given the chance to mention this car nearly a dozen times, and yet they've never had a chance to touch it. The only saving grace is that there are ways of getting 1000HP into a C7, but for all anyone knows they'll have to drop in an LS7 to make it happen. It could take headers, cam, twin turbo and a host of other things. It could cost $250,000 and be technically closer to a Venom than a C7 by the time the build is done. ANYONE can say they'll make the 1k mark, but until you have a cost and total package specifications, it's just useless babbling. You might as well claim the C7 will come stock with 990 and your cold air intake will add 10.

edit - staying on topic.

Last edited by WaxWeekly; 03-15-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my bias against hennessey has nothing to do with his working on vipers. I like vipers, would love a 97 TT viper.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

From what I've read the original plan was to use the Viper engine, but it was eliminated in favor of weight savings.

All I've been able to find regarding the build is that it uses a sleeved ls2, but that's about it.

Also, back to the topic at hand, which direct injection motors has Hennessey worked on?
Again, Venom is nothing else than Lotus Elise with some different body panels to confuse the public, kinda like AC Cobra. Viper motor is actually more efficient in NA considering hp/per displacement but it is physically large and requires suitable chasis. If you use Lotus chasis, Viper motor is not an option. I hope Hennessey does not say they considered Viper motor for the car they based the Venom on.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM
0MikePeters@Hennessey
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a production based block. The biggest reason we chose it was serviceability. TPS, CAS, Coils, Belts, Alternators are readily available. We want people to DRIVE these cars. And we built it to be driven. However the block/heads/manifolds are not anything you can buy off a GM showroom, and we won't give out what we're using other than the specs on VenomGT.com

We'll have an announcement on that soon.

Not sure where you read that, but similar to the claims that it's "An Elise", not really accurate. We've done some impressive builds over the years, but a sleeved LS2 in the Venom GT is not something we've pursued.

We built the worlds 1st 700HP GTR in the States, and held several records with it for a while. We've been building EcoBoost vehicles since they came out, as well as our Twin-Turbo kits for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and several other platforms that we occasionally dabble with. We're already very familiar with direct injection.

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Gosh... I was SO hoping this thread would just go away.

There is no reason to give Hennessey another opportunity to market vaporware. Mike has been given the chance to mention this car nearly a dozen times, and yet they've never had a chance to touch it. The only saving grace is that there are ways of getting 1000HP into a C7, but for all anyone knows they'll have to drop in an LS7 to make it happen. It could take headers, cam, twin turbo and a host of other things. It could cost $250,000 and be technically closer to a Venom than a C7 by the time the build is done. ANYONE can say they'll make the 1k mark, but until you have a cost and total package specifications, it's just useless babbling. You might as well claim the C7 will come stock with 990 and your cold air intake will add 10.

edit - staying on topic.
We said we'd build the Worlds fastest production vehicle right here in Texas.

DONE.

We said we'd offer the most warrantied Horsepower on the Market for the 5th Gen Camaro, 392 Hemi, 6.1 Hemi, Vette, and others.

Delivered.

When we set a goal, we achieve it. Proven fact.
I think the only "Vaporware" going on in this thread is your claim to stay on topic.

Again, Venom is nothing else than Lotus Elise with some different body panels to confuse the public, kinda like AC Cobra. Viper motor is actually more efficient in NA considering hp/per displacement but it is physically large and requires suitable chasis. If you use Lotus chasis, Viper motor is not an option. I hope Hennessey does not say they considered Viper motor for the car they based the Venom on.
Hmm... That's an interesting claim. First I do realize that clearly typing "Elise" instead of "Exige" must have been a misspelling, since that's what we use a tub from. Could you let me know what parts of an Exige are interchangeable with the Venom GT? My first hand experience knows that other than the tub, and windshield, there is nothing interchangeable with an Exige.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Hmm... That's an interesting claim. First I do realize that clearly typing "Elise" instead of "Exige" must have been a misspelling, since that's what we use a tub from. Could you let me know what parts of an Exige are interchangeable with the Venom GT? My first hand experience knows that other than the tub, and windshield, there is nothing interchangeable with an Exige.
Well no, this is not a typo unless you used a different Exige that I know of... I do understand though why you would insist on Exige, it costs more and you can charge more for that Venom, LOL... Funny you mentioned that tub, it is the same in both. The difference between Exige and Elise chasis wise is actually smaller than between C6 and Z06. No worries, your secret is safe with me. Oh, is it just the windshield? The side glass looks the same like on Elise, uhm Exige.

I am not gonna spend my time picking the Venom apart but chances of this car not using at least some suspension components from Lotus are very slim, just for starters.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been extraordinarily disappointed by the previous several of these threads, hopefully this one will stay on topic, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to catch this thread.

The 1000 horsepower Stingrays will have a 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty initially, but we do offer a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty as an option as long as maintenance records are kept.

We've built over 5000 cars since 2004, I'm a bit blown away by some of the comments here and in previous threads. If you have any questions on our builds, our company, we're very easily accessible. We've been open for over 20 years, built over 10,000 cars, own many world records, and as a car guy, I am perplexed why anyone would not want 1,000 horsepower. Of course it's pointless, that's the point.

This guy is a car guy, he gets it!

Not true. Our products can be purchased at several GM retailers, right off the showroom floor.

I think you have us confused with another speed shop. What we build are the most warrantied street cars on the market. No other Vette tuner offers 3 Year / 36,000 mile warranty on twin-turbo 1000 horsepower builds. We don't run a race team, and never have. The owner of our company races, as do many of our employees and myself, but we aren't a race shop, and we don't claim to be. We have several great members of our team like John Heinricy on board, but again, we aren't, and aren't trying to be a race shop. If you want A/C, factory serviceability, and a smile every time you unleash 1,000 reliable horsepower, you come here, and take your wife to dinner in the car after it's done. If you want a caged drag car that runs 8's on the IRS, that is not what we do. We either own, or have owned over 100 world records over the year, and most of those were achieved in cars with A/C and cruise control.
Well said Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Mike, while I absolutely applaud Hennessey's success and continued support of our much loved high-performance and speed-driven passion, you may be creating some confusion with statements like yours above when compared to your own Venom GT website's specification page, which states:

Originally Posted by venomgt.com
"Note: The Hennessey Venom GT design is based on the Lotus Elise / Exige. The Venom GT is created from a base Lotus Elise / Exige and utilizes components including but not limited to the roof, doors, side glass, windscreen, dash, cockpit, floorpan, HVAC system, wiper and head lamps. Hennessey Performance and the Venom GT are not associated with Lotus Cars."
Personally, I am not sure what difference it makes if you want to call the basis for the Venom the Elise or Exige, or what parts do or don't interchange with either of them... the Venom GT is what it is, and you should be very proud of it; however, engaging a potential customer base with incorrect information and/or sarcasm isn't going to win you any business.

The creation of the Venom GT is getting you exactly what Hennessey wanted, better over all exposure and along with that comes a higher level of criticism. The best thing you guys could do is formulate a specific set of responses these questions so you're giving the same story each time.

Quick Reply: ZR1 or 1000HP Hennessey C7?