Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think GM is going after Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Think GM is going after Porsche?

Here is one indication...
Tim Mahoney Named Chief Marketing Officer Global Chevrolet

Mon, Feb 25 2013
DETROIT – General Motors today named Tim Mahoney as Chief Marketing Officer Global Chevrolet and Global GM Marketing Operations Leader, effective April 1. Mahoney joins Chevrolet from Volkswagen, where he has been Chief Product and Marketing Officer since 2011.

He will report to Alan Batey, GM Vice President, U.S. Sales and Service, and interim GM Global Chief Marketing Officer.

In his new role, Mahoney will be responsible to execute Chevrolet’s new brand platform, Find New Roads, and for overall coordination of GM’s global marketing operations.

“Tim’s experience and passion for the automotive marketing business, combined with his innovative and collaborative style, has made him one of the most respected marketers in the business,” said Batey. “His background and experience is a perfect fit for Chevrolet at the perfect time. With more than 20 new product launches around the world in 2013, Tim will play a key role as we continue to grow the brand globally.”

Mahoney has an extensive background in global automotive marketing serving in a variety of marketing positions at Subaru of America, Porsche Cars North America, Inc., and, most recently, Volkswagen.

Mahoney’s appointment is consistent with other initiatives recently announced to align and grow Chevrolet globally, including the selection of Commonwealth, a newly formed advertising agency, to service the brand’s advertising around the world. Last month, Chevrolet announced a new global communications platform – Find New Roads – to align its global marketing, engineering, design and retail operations behind a single vision.

In 2012, Chevrolet sold 4.95 million vehicles worldwide, making it the world’s fastest-growing major automotive brand.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...om-volkswagen/
http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...MO-022513.aspx
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...et-4307067.php

Last edited by BlueOx; 02-26-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I think the answer to your question is yes.

Also bet the odds are high we'll see in this thread a Guibotch train wreck.

Good luck, fine sir.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats funny, Anytime you mention Porsche or Ferrari, everyone on the C7 forum cries about how they are overpriced POS cars. Why would you target a car that is "overpriced POS"? Unless, alas. Maybe they are not overpriced POS, that the everyone on here thinks. Maybe the guys at GM know a little more about cars than the "C7 experts" on this site.

My .02 YMMV

Don't knock a car until you own it, or at least have driven it.

Last edited by 2K3Z06; 02-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks for the link BlueOx.

I would also like to see Corvette marketed and sold along side Cadillac, as a stand alone dealership. Sold and serviced!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Yes we are going to attack the Germans...I've owned two Porsches, love them. I just love Corvettes more
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Thats funny, Anytime you mention Porsche or Ferrari, everyone on the C7 forum cries about how they are overpriced POS cars. Why would you target a car that is "overpriced POS"? Unless, alas. Maybe they are not overpriced POS, that the everyone on here thinks. Maybe the guys at GM know a little more about cars than the "C7 experts" on this site.

My .02 YMMV

Don't knock a car until you own it, or at least have driven it.
On the contrary, they could be conceived of as overpriced when you figure you can get a comparably or arguably better performing car such as the Corvette starting at nearly half the price! Perhaps that is GM's modus operandi.

Last edited by slief; 02-26-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,793 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Also bet the odds are high we'll see in this thread a Guibotch train wreck.
I'm pretty sure they both run regular searches on CF for terms like "Porsche", "911", "P-Car", etc and pounce.

Fortunately, I plonked them both a long, long time ago and my CF experience improved immensely, immediately.

jas
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Maybe I am just getting old and don't comprehend as well as you younger guys, but why would you think Corvette is going after Porsche. What I read, was he was hired away from VW to be Chief Marketing Officer Global Chevrolet and Global GM Marketing Operations Leader . I believe that includes all of the Chevrolet products as well it also looks like he will have a lot on input in all of the GM cars and trucks.

Will he try and market the Corvette in Germany against the Porsche, of course. After all has not the Corvette-Porsche wars been going on for a long time. I don't think or read anything between the lines that says his main job is to go after the Porsche.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Think GM is going after Porsche?

Frankly, no.

GM has lots of work to do domestically and globally to win over buyers with design, content, efficiency and dependability. Toyota and VW are probably the most likely role models for the same, offshore. Hiring proven talent from either of those 2 manufacturers make perfect sense. Going after Porsche makes no sense. Porsche is a niche manufacturer in comparison - 120,000 annual world sales, caters to a more affluent audience and rubs elbow comfortably with Mercedes, BWW and Audi .

GM banks on huge sales and profit numbers from trucks and suv's, and those sales significantly drive them to the top of worldwide sales - some 9 million last year. GM and Porsche are an apple and an orange. Ford is GM's apple domestically and VW, Toyota, Honda are it's apples globally. Porsche doesn't even appear on GM's map.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by slief
On the contrary, they could be conceived of as overpriced when you figure you can get a comparably or arguably better performing car such as the Corvette starting at nearly half the price! Perhaps that is GM's modus operandi.
i tend to agree, that the vette is certainly, the performance leader, when placed against porsche's 911,..but lets remember,..that even the vette,..[the new c7 edition, at least]..WAS bench-marked against the porsche 911,..the 911 remains the gold-standard, by which almost EVERY sportscar is pitched against,...including nissan's dud of a car,..the gtr,[nissan had delusional visions of out-selling their gtr over the 911,..well,..THAT certainly never happened, now did it?!]...not sayin' the porsche is INHERANTLY better,..just sayin' that the 911 remains THE car to push outta the way,..for the crown of best sportscar,...the gtr has failed miserably,..[porsche's 911 outsells it by a whopping 11 to 1 ratio now,...46 gtr's a month nationwide,..versus almost 900 911's nationwide,...it appears, that even priced HIGHER!,..folks would still prefer their 911's!],...the vette has a VERY good chance finally, to push the 911 off it's throne,...and i personally think, all this competition, is only for the good,..it makes ALL cars better!,..just my 2 cents...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Only as far as the Corvette is concerned. Nothing else that GM produces has a comparable Porsche vehicle.

Except for the 911 (versions) there is nothing that competes with the Vette performance.

They produce some great driving machines, generally their fit and finish is excellent. Although I find their seats superior to the Vettes, the rest of the interior is on a par.

I would be happy to add a Cayman S to my garage, but I would only consider a 911 to be a replacement for my C6, and at $100K+ that isn't going to happen.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

GM is not even close to being able to compete with the big boys.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry GM , but your crappy quality built cars should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Porches. Good try though ..lol
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you ZO6 CE! We are talking Kobe beef vs. Porterhouse!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Sorry GM , but your crappy quality built cars should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Porches. Good try though ..lol
i'm SURE you're just pullin' our legs here dude, really,..seriously?!,..even i, the owner of an 08 911 turbo coupe manny,...have to say,..this is just pure foolishness, if you're serious!,..the vette now, for all intents and purposes,..DOES rival the 911 in build quality,..and certainly in performance!,...yeah,..porsche makes an awesome car,..but NOW so does GM with the corvette!,..but again,..i'm sure you were being factitious?[spelling?]...you can't be seriuos!....
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Notch
Safety Car

OnPoint - There are at least five people who have made posts echoing what I would have posted, so I haven't found the need to opine further (yet).
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by BWF07
Maybe I am just getting old and don't comprehend as well as you younger guys, but why would you think Corvette is going after Porsche. What I read, was he was hired away from VW to be Chief Marketing Officer Global Chevrolet and Global GM Marketing Operations Leader . I believe that includes all of the Chevrolet products as well it also looks like he will have a lot on input in all of the GM cars and trucks.

Will he try and market the Corvette in Germany against the Porsche, of course. After all has not the Corvette-Porsche wars been going on for a long time. I don't think or read anything between the lines that says his main job is to go after the Porsche.
What do you think GM bought a new 911S for?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-news...?click=main_sr

Get notified of new replies

To Think GM is going after Porsche?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
I agree with you ZO6 CE! We are talking Kobe beef vs. Porterhouse!
WRONG!!! Give it a rest!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

GM may be "going after" PORSCHE, but they will never be or equate Porsche with the Corvette. ( and I like both cars here.) Sorry, but that's how I see it. And it's not like they don't have the potential or tech to be. Those problems have already been addressed in this thread.

Having said that, Porsche may have a nice slap upside GM's stubborn head in queue forthcoming. Not only with the new GT3 and the TurboS, but... the new 960-ish model. Time will tell.

Whatever you're driving, enjoy the ride. :-)

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 02-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
GM may be "going after" PORSCHE, but they will never be or equate Porsche with the Corvette. ( and I like both cars here.) Sorry, but that's how I see it. And it's not like they don't have the potential or tech to be. Those problems have already been addressed in this thread.

Having said that, Porsche may have a nice slap upside GM's stubborn head in queue forthcoming. Not only with the new GT3 and the TurboS, but... the new 960-ish model. Time will tell.

Whatever you're driving, enjoy the ride. :-)
GM has substantial quality issues before they can be equal to expensive German cars. The paint quality, fit and finish and even the alignment of their highest price Chevrolet is poor. They have a long way to go.

Quick Reply: Think GM is going after Porsche?