Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
but but but

seriously this subsection of the forum is terrible when it comes to whiny cry babies, the rear lights, the gaps, OMG NO FOG LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you are saying Kevin.

Jack

Last edited by jackhall99; 02-22-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roidz
That's from the unveiling...meaning far from production.
Which will be far far worse. Once low skilled union workers and
robotics build one. It will be the same ole same ole workmanship
like the past
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by texvette2
... Once low skilled union workers and robotics build one. It will be the same ole same ole workmanship
like the past

Others have posted no serious issues with their cars, and my '06 has no fit/finish problems that have me ready to wail over it. It's actually pretty damned good! I guess your Corvettes we built on Monday.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
VETTE777
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not making excuses, but I cannot think of a car that offers more in most categories than any other, period. I stopped tearing GM apart panel by panel......in 2006 a very good friend of mine went with a new 911. Needless to say, we were all shocked when, while travelling down the freeway at 70, the engine blew, 16K miles on it. It turned out to be an IMS fail. PNA nightmare.
I went with the car that had the "cheaper" interior, pretty darn glad I did. Replaced the battery, 62K miles.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,569 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I guess some of you folks have had fit/finish issues with your C6s. I have two and there are no fit/finish issues with either of mine except for a minor issue with the stripe on the 427.
My 2012 Coupe has better fit and finish (and closer, straighter gaps) then my 2008 Jaguar XK had.

...and the XK stickered for over $95,000.00...
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Face it, sh*tty fit and finish are part of the Corvette 'heritage' as are less-than-perfect paint jobs.

Ah, but now we have great interiors ....... wait for the C8 for GM to improve the fit & finish.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take a look at BMW's lines where the bumpers meet the fenders and quarter panels... then start looking at the new Cadillacs... no comparison... GM has some of the best fit panels in the business.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tommy D

Ah, but now we have great interiors ....... wait for the C8 for GM to improve the fit & finish.
Have you gotten to a show and looked at the C7 up close and personal? Or are you just posting "stuff" to post something?

I presume the latter because when you see the car in person, you will see the car is freaking awesome.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Have you gotten to a show and looked at the C7 up close and personal? Or are you just posting "stuff" to post something?

I presume the latter because when you see the car in person, you will see the car is freaking awesome.
I was referring to the picture in post #1..... Take a very careful look at the trunk lid ..... after you have been on this forum a bit longer you will eventually get it when another CF member is making a joking remark
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Everyone needs to relax.

Pre-production cars are hand built, with hand built prototype parts. There's no QC. These are not production pieces. The pilot cars (right before production) are where they will double check fit with production pieces, and make adjustments.

Michael
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael A
Everyone needs to relax.

Pre-production cars are hand built, with hand built prototype parts. There's no QC. These are not production pieces. The pilot cars (right before production) are where they will double check fit with production pieces, and make adjustments.

Michael
I would be interested to see if the assembly method and paint shop were changed, if they were not and the same methods are used, then it will be the same thing all over again.

I do not know about your car, but on mine, the panels that were painted by the paint robots have actually different shade than those that humans painted. I think things are better with solid colors but metalics have their issues.

I seem to recall someone having problems with the finish a few months ago that actually resulted in the car being shipped to the factor to have the panels color matched. My front bumper has warp marks in it, corners do not line up, , tiger stripes all over the entire car-this is not what should be happening.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
I would be interested to see if the assembly method and paint shop were changed, if they were not and the same methods are used, then it will be the same thing all over again.

I do not know about your car, but on mine, the panels that were painted by the paint robots have actually different shade than those that humans painted. I think things are better with solid colors but metalics have their issues.

I seem to recall someone having problems with the finish a few months ago that actually resulted in the car being shipped to the factor to have the panels color matched. My front bumper has warp marks in it, corners do not line up, , tiger stripes all over the entire car-this is not what should be happening.
Sorry to hear about the issues with your car. Mine is a solid color, so I don't have the problems that metallics have.

My 2000 C5 actually has amazingly good quality. The paint has almost no orange peel. The panels fit great. A friend of mine who always finds faults with hood alignment or door fit, couldn't find anything to complain about. Did the quality go down with the C6's?

Michael
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael A
Sorry to hear about the issues with your car. Mine is a solid color, so I don't have the problems that metallics have.

My 2000 C5 actually has amazingly good quality. The paint has almost no orange peel. The panels fit great. A friend of mine who always finds faults with hood alignment or door fit, couldn't find anything to complain about. Did the quality go down with the C6's?

Michael
I could not close the hood on C5, the black finish was very nice. My 07 C6 was yellow, besides roof recall and peeling chrome rims and bubbling up interior pieces, pretty good. My yellow 09 Z06 had problem with bad orange peel, paint drips, poor panel fitment and axle nuts and leaky slave cylinder. My current daily driver, 09 silver base is really crappy all around, good for a daily driver though. After fixing another leaky slave cylinder and axle nuts and replacing door panels, it is mechanically very good. The car rattles and creaks way worse than my older base. I am not sure if this is my luck but quality did seem to go down.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

I have a 2005 built in January of 2005 at that time there were some problems with orange peel as well as cloudy polished rims. My car has orange peel and my left front fender will interfere with opening the door on really hot days when the car is in the sun. My son's 2007 has the same orange peel as well as problems with the rubber seal around the hood opening.

Having been on the forum for some time there has been improvement over the years as we have seen fewer posts regarding fit and finish in C6 general over the years. I record the times for the 1/4 mile challenge in the C6 tech section and have seen many of our members Corvettes over the years. Yes there are some fit & finish issues but nothing that I would consider as material. Most of us knew about the orange peel and purchased the car anyway

At this point in time there is no way to tell how well the C7 fit and finish will be. Production of the C6 ends this month and then the factory has to re tool for the C7

I would imagine just as the C6 had its early teething issues the C7 will also have its issues as every new design does. The great thing about this forum is that members post their experience both the good as well as the bad and we get to make better informed decisions based upon their experience
Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by r1owner
Just take a look at BMW's lines where the bumpers meet the fenders and quarter panels... then start looking at the new Cadillacs... no comparison... GM has some of the best fit panels in the business.
too lazy, post up pics for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I have a 2005 built in January of 2005 at that time there were some problems with orange peel as well as cloudy polished rims. My car has orange peel and my left front fender will interfere with opening the door on really hot days when the car is in the sun. My son's 2007 has the same orange peel as well as problems with the rubber seal around the hood opening.

Having been on the forum for some time there has been improvement over the years as we have seen fewer posts regarding fit and finish in C6 general over the years. I record the times for the 1/4 mile challenge in the C6 tech section and have seen many of our members Corvettes over the years. Yes there are some fit & finish issues but nothing that I would consider as material. Most of us knew about the orange peel and purchased the car anyway

At this point in time there is no way to tell how well the C7 fit and finish will be. Production of the C6 ends this month and then the factory has to re tool for the C7

I would imagine just as the C6 had its early teething issues the C7 will also have its issues as every new design does. The great thing about this forum is that members post their experience both the good as well as the bad and we get to make better informed decisions based upon their experience
As I said, if the methods are the same, the new car will be the same way. Hopefully GM realizes the problems and already made the changes.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

As I said, if the methods are the same, the new car will be the same way. Hopefully GM realizes the problems and already made the changes.
Yup I agree, Maybe GM will figure a way to get rid of the orange peel and improve the exterior as much as they have the interior. We will soon see.

Then there are the mechanical issues of a new design which opens another can of worms

Get notified of new replies

To Same Old Fit, Finish and Build Quality?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I took the tour of the assembly plant last April, and they had already started work on the new assembly line. They started in the old XLR area, and it will be mostly all new with more computers and robots. The new car should have improved quality.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by matthewelle
This is now the second or third time I have seen this on the show cars as well as the mules.

Must be rough going through life looking at things as if your glass is half empty.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Must be rough going through life looking at things as if your glass is half empty.
Indeed. I can't wait for my C7 convertible (probably a year away). And I imagine there will be orange peel in the paint since literally every new car has it. The local Ferrari dealer is 2 blocks from my office, I looked at a new 458 a month ago, on the showroom floor, and there is no place to hide under flourescent lighing....the car was LOADED with orange peel!

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Same Old Fit, Finish and Build Quality?