Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Video: Benchracing the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...NEWS/130219976
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I have some difficulty listening to a guy talking about styling that is wearing a sweater that I wouldn't wear around the house, much less be seen in public.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have some difficulty listening to a guy talking about styling that is wearing a sweater that I wouldn't wear around the house, much less be seen in public.

And I'll wager you're not a 20 something year old either - fashion is in the eye of the wearer . . .
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
And I'll wager you're not a 20 something year old either - fashion is in the eye of the wearer . . .
Damn good thing I'm not. I wonder if he was wearing the matching double knit bell bottom pants.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost track of the conversation once I saw that sweater. It's not even hipster. It's just awful.

The AWD talk is stupid. It's not a requirement for a super car. Just ask Pagani. It adds weight, creates understeer... Those are not dynamics that a GT fan like myself wants in a car.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C7 :
Avant-garde Design - huh?
Who wuddya thunk GM would go to the extreme with an iconic and traditional american sports car and push the boundaries of what is accepted.

So is that the justification, the spin on why the rear is the way it is?
It's Avant-garde.

Yeah, I, I get it now.
Right .... yeah... ok, hmmm.

Last edited by User 2623; 02-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Process Black
I
The AWD talk is stupid. It's not a requirement for a super car. Just ask Pagani. It adds weight, creates understeer... Those are not dynamics that a GT fan like myself wants in a car.
Lamborghini Gallardo is a tribute to AWD at its best..........

But when they made a limited edition model in honor of its designer they equipped it as RWD only, and with a manual transmission because that was how he preferred his own car to be.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I love the sweater.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

OK we know these guys and Gal work for Autoweek, so what I heard was not a surprise. It just goes to show you how bias they are. They had a few , well maybe a couple of valid points but on the whole there were out to lunch.

I love loved it when the sweater guy said that the Porsche and Ferrari guys were getting beat at every track day by a $50,000 Corvette and then stated Z06 and ZR1. I guess he has never looked at the price tag on either of those cars.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I love the sweater.
Probably because that's all you got for Christmas for the past 50 years.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Probably because that's all you got for Christmas for the past 50 years.
If I did I really wouldn't want another. I really do not get anything for Christmas. The reason is if I want something I just go and buy it. Comes from 50 years of working hard and earning money. .
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

I kinda’ dug the leopard print top, glasses and pony tail. What sweater?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The guy in the black shirt who says, "I don't think the Corvette is ever going to be considered a serious world class performance machine without dual overhead camshafts. It doesn't make sense." This is what is wrong with automotive journalism. They can't consider a car with world class performance a world class car because it doesn't have a certain type of engine valve actuation. That's just plain narrow minded, and idiotic.

Engineers look at:

Physical size
Weight
Power output
Fuel economy
Cost

GM met all the objectives, and came up with a world class powerplant.

Michael
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Process Black
I lost track of the conversation once I saw that sweater. It's not even hipster. It's just awful.

+1 I also agree that all the awd talk is stupid is great on some platforms but the vette is just not one of them.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Michael A
The guy in the black shirt who says, "I don't think the Corvette is ever going to be considered a serious world class performance machine without dual overhead camshafts. It doesn't make sense." This is what is wrong with automotive journalism. They can't consider a car with world class performance a world class car because it doesn't have a certain type of engine valve actuation. That's just plain narrow minded, and idiotic.

Engineers look at:

Physical size
Weight
Power output
Fuel economy
Cost

GM met all the objectives, and came up with a world class powerplant.

Michael
I agree with your assessment about what is wrong with automotive journalism, well many of them anyway, but your last statement is off target. Although the LT1 engine at this point is an advancement over the LS3, it is far from a world class engine, at least in my opinion. I would consider a world class engine as one that is capable of run with and beating the top cars of the world. The LT1 that resides in the new Stingray is more on the line with the Porsche Cayman, Porsche Boxster, Audi TTR and a few others.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I agree with your assessment about what is wrong with automotive journalism, well many of them anyway, but your last statement is off target. Although the LT1 engine at this point is an advancement over the LS3, it is far from a world class engine, at least in my opinion. I would consider a world class engine as one that is capable of run with and beating the top cars of the world. The LT1 that resides in the new Stingray is more on the line with the Porsche Cayman, Porsche Boxster, Audi TTR and a few others.
World class can exist in many different categories.

In terms of weight, size, and power, the LT1 is certainly world class.

It doesn't necessarily mean just power. The Ford Trinity motor makes 662hp, but its also extremely wide and tall and pretty heavy even with the AL block.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Kappa
World class can exist in many different categories.

In terms of weight, size, and power, the LT1 is certainly world class.

It doesn't necessarily mean just power. The Ford Trinity motor makes 662hp, but its also extremely wide and tall and pretty heavy even with the AL block.
I agree world class can exist in many different categories, but when you talk Corvette, it means one think, and that is it is the best what every in the sports car class. When I think world class sports cars, I think Ferrari, 430, 458, F12, Porsche GT2 RS, Lamborghini Murcielago, Gallardo, and of course the Aventador and the Corvette ZR1 and also the Z06.

I have nothing against teh new LT1 engine and I think when we get the final numbers, it may well exceed the projected 450 HP 450 ft lb torque and as the entry level/base engine it is great along with the improved handling, this car is going to be a winner, but I just cannot call the LT1 a wold class engine when referring to it and Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Benchracing the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK

Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I agree world class can exist in many different categories, but when you talk Corvette, it means one think, and that is it is the best what every in the sports car class. When I think world class sports cars, I think Ferrari, 430, 458, F12, Porsche GT2 RS, Lamborghini Murcielago, Gallardo, and of course the Aventador and the Corvette ZR1 and also the Z06.

I have nothing against teh new LT1 engine and I think when we get the final numbers, it may well exceed the projected 450 HP 450 ft lb torque and as the entry level/base engine it is great along with the improved handling, this car is going to be a winner, but I just cannot call the LT1 a wold class engine when referring to it and Corvette.
Again, in terms of combination of weight, power, size, and economy the LT1 doesn't really take a backseat to many. Those cars you mentioned also aren't going to warrantied for 100,000 miles.

But whatever floats your boat...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kappa
Again, in terms of combination of weight, power, size, and economy the LT1 doesn't really take a backseat to many. Those cars you mentioned also aren't going to warrantied for 100,000 miles.

But whatever floats your boat...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The engines in the cars you mentioned aren't even in the same league as far as power output, while the LT1 very small, light, fuel efficient, and inexpensive. The LT1 fully dressed only weighs just over 400 lbs.

Michael

Quick Reply: Video: Benchracing the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK