Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

Too Funny!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
We need to get all the Pontiac boys rallied up and active to crusade to resurrect pontiac.
That would require someone like John Delorean or Carroll Shelby to lead the project, unfortunately they both passed away. Chances of resurrectling Fiero and F body are the same as resurrecting one of these guys.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
We need to get all the Pontiac boys rallied up and active to crusade to resurrect pontiac.

They could just have the following cars.

Entry level Turbo 4, Fiero (think Eco Tec with a nice fat bo on it making 280 ponies), 3.5 V6 Fiero for the SE (sport Edition) package.. and then the WS3 package.... Turbo 3.5 V6 making 400 ponies.
Turbo 4, at 24 to 28 grand
3.5 V6 at 26 to 32 grand
WS3 at 34-36 grand
T56 Six Speed Trans optional.

Sunroof optional.

Firebird: 3.5 V6 weighing in at 3100 to 3400lbs depending on the option levels you pick, 24 to 26 grand.
Formula 3.5 V6 Turbo. 30 to 34 grand, or LTX engine.
Trans Am: LTX engine, Ram Air. 35 to 40 thousand.
Super Duty WS6. LTX engine with a Procharger (aka centrifugal) supercharger making 550 horse power. Cost, 55 thousand.
6 speed T56 Manual Transmission, option.

Must have a hatchback, honeycomb tail lights, and an actually aggressive front end and not at all related to the current Fatmaro
T Tops, or Convertibles only. Heritage package would include a Modern Screaming Chicken for the hood. Yes I went there. An idea of what the chicken could look like download the full image and zoom in for full details.
2+2 car.

G8 base. LTX engine, maybe let it be abit heavier to save costs, 35 to 40 grand.
G8 WS4. LTX Engine with either Hot Cam and Ram Air, or Boost, 3800lbs maximum. 4 doors. All stickered up cost of around 44 to 50 grand.
Six Speed option.

The Fiero would of course be mid engine, the other cars of course would be RWD.

All would feature red lit gauges, options for cloth or leather, power everything or power nothing, Delete Options. And interiors that don't make you think of being inside a dim black tupperware drawer.
The Brand would have the Driving Excitement name reapplied, completely unironically and it would take swings right at BMW Lexus, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda and Subaru all in one go.

With one small change: make the G8/successor AWD. To give the Subies a thrashing. We already have the Firebird as a 2+2, and the G8 would be redundant here without something truly different.

No. Four doors is not an option.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Drew1Down
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

working at a dealership i see the new camaro owners and there "buy" order looks something like this

Trade: mustang (or some other performace car that has let them down) +$9000
Buys: new camaro -$30000
Trade: new camaro +24000
Buys: used C5/C6 -$22000

corvettes used don't stay on the lot for very long, but CPO camaros take months to sell.

i see corvettes in the budget barn and i see cost cutting accross the corvette line from base to ZR1.

camaro is there for a reason, to remind you that you can have more fun and better performance in a corvette.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Durran Ranney
Navigator

so the c4s didnt dilute the brand with a detuned v8,vettes are in my opionion working mans supercars and they should stay somewhat affordable.400 hp is more than the c5 debut with right.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
gs_M6
Advanced

I think we'd be talking about a stripper car, not a bad thing and would not expect it to have a smaller displacement motor
Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

The Camaro is an entry-level Corvette. We all know General Motors are no stranger to model overlap, but I highly doubt something like this will ever happen.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
gkessler
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AORoads
anyone remember that 'thang' called a Mustang II? whatta car that wuz! yukky-ugh. lez hope the "stripped down C7" is no C7-II. really.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
huggerorange73
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Drew1Down
camaro is there for a reason, to remind you that you can have more fun and better performance in a corvette.
This is epic.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

I do not know if this is true or not, and have not had time to wade through a lot of what was posted here, but why don't you go take a look at Corvette history- go back to Sting Ray history- and understand that 1963 Sting Ray was available with no less than four 327 cubic inch (that's 5.3 litre for the leather driving glove set) engines ranging from 250 to 360 (gross) HP. The engine choices got really long later in the decade, small blocks and big blocks in the same year.

Anyone who considers a lighter tune, entry level Corvette a slap in the face to the Corvette just does not know their Corvette history. No excuses.

Last edited by DinoBob; 02-25-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Correcting the historical spelling of Sting Ray.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
A lower cost entry level Corvette could be a welcome addition, and enhance sales. However, if it offers a $400 price savings as the FRC offered in 1999 over the regular coupe, it will fail as much as the '99 and '00 model did.
GM already has a low cost entry Corvette, they call it a Camaro.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Drew1Down
Instructor

Originally Posted by Race Prepared
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*facepalm* Ever driven a 5th gen camaro? I had one as a rental once (V6 vert). Never again. To call it a cheaper, entry-level Corvette is both an insult to the Corvette name and over-stated for the Camaro, regardless of what powerplant is in it. The cheaper, entry level Corvette was supposed to be the Kappa twins based on their design and specs, but unfortunately the execution there was poor (not everyone likes convertibles).
/rant
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Have you spent much time driving a 5th Gen Camaro? That car has NOTHING in common with a Corvette. You'll be glad to get back in your C5. I find it hard to believe they are built by the same company. The build quality is 20-30 years behind. The driving quality is probably 50 years behind. The clutch doesn't even have linear effort, it chatters, and there is driveline clunk. The steering has so little return that if you turn the steering wheel, you can take your hands off, and it keeps turning. There is loads of body roll, and speaking of loads, the car weighs almost two tons. The dual mode exhaust rattles. Various parts of the car are partially painted. Interior panel gaps vary from side to side. The body structure goes into resonance on some roads. The headlight beam pattern is not much better than a flashlight.

Michael
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM
germanc5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being one of the people that can't or won't afford a C7 right away, I still wouldn't want to buy a choked back version. I would rather buy a full power used vette, (a C6) which is what I did!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Drew1Down
Instructor

if you ever want to reprduce the experence of driving a new caramo, heres what you need

1. pickup truck
2. jam towles in the bed of the truck to make it water tight
3. fill the bed of the truck full of water
4. drive around and feel the pain of a camaro owner
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by Axial

With one small change: make the G8/successor AWD. To give the Subies a thrashing. We already have the Firebird as a 2+2, and the G8 would be redundant here without something truly different.

No. Four doors is not an option.
Well I was getting to the GTO model.... That would be the 2 door with AWD. Yeah that's right the new Goat would be AWD and 2 doors.

Originally Posted by petermj
That would require someone like John Delorean or Carroll Shelby to lead the project, unfortunately they both passed away. Chances of resurrectling Fiero and F body are the same as resurrecting one of these guys.
Sadly too true. The formula is right there, I mean hell my post about the model line, and engine package options is something I came up with on the fly and should be fairly feasible to pull off. If I can come up with that idea.. surely the putz's over at GM can think of it too.

Get notified of new replies

To GM working on 2015 Low Cost Corvettte < 400 HP according to MotorTrend

Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

That fat turd is no more a Camaro, than a Chevette is a Corvette.
Let alone, any comparisons to it being a Poor Mans Vette.

The Fatmaro is a travesty, and it's bad... and it's designers should feel bad for making such a bad car.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 AM
0Mike_@TireSolutions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hklvette

*facepalm* Ever driven a 5th gen camaro? I had one as a rental once (V6 vert). Never again. To call it a cheaper, entry-level Corvette is both an insult to the Corvette name and over-stated for the Camaro, regardless of what powerplant is in it. The cheaper, entry level Corvette was supposed to be the Kappa twins based on their design and specs, but unfortunately the execution there was poor (not everyone likes convertibles).
/rant
AGREE 100% Not to say the Camaro is a horrible car, its different MUCH different! might as well call a V8 mustang a entry level Corvette cause hey its got similar power levels

An idea, let alone a great idea means nothing if you can't get the execution right. Kappa twins for example, great on paper..utter utter trash in the real world. I've driven both base and turbo models and non were worthy of any kind of special recondition. Yes styling was something to write about and so was the base price point...and that was about the end of it. terrible interior packaging, terrible materials, half baked handling, funky ergonomics..list goes on...

I dare anyone to challenge me on this argument because all you needed to do was drive a Miata to know what a real compact sports car should feel like. (btw a Miata as good as it drives isn't my cup of tea)

If GM can learn from all the mistakes made on the solstice and sky then by all means build a sub Corvette model that will slot right under it with two seats, proper handling and an interior that reflects its price point.

Or maybe GM should buy a FRS/BRZ and hit the copy button...who knows..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DinoBob
I do not know if this is true or not, and have not had time to wade through a lot of what was posted here, but why don't you go take a look at Corvette history- go back to Sting Ray history- and understand that 1963 Sting Ray was available with no less than four 327 cubic inch (that's 5.3 litre for the leather driving glove set) engines ranging from 250 to 360 (gross) HP. The engine choices got really long later in the decade, small blocks and big blocks in the same year.

Anyone who considers a lighter tune, entry level Corvette a slap in the face to the Corvette just does not know their Corvette history. No excuses.
Yes, dino, you are correct: Corvettes DID come with different engines "back then." But, two things you/others need to note: 1. times have changed, it just isn't that easy to get an entire car+drivetrain certified for production---you know, all those government regs---heck, there's something like 14 different types of gasoline produced!

and 2. what exactly WAS a 1963 Corvette? it wasn't a "de-tuned" Corvette. it was a 327 cu. in., 250 hp* engine/car, right? If you want more, you could get more, but that was the base car/engine.

My point is, the base car wasn't a fuelie (fuel injected) 360 hp Corvette, and you could get a de-tuned 250 hp* Corvette. And that goes for later years in the Stingray as well when there were "optional" engines/trans/gears you could buy. But they were more expensive and not the base car.

*subsequent years for the C2, the 327 base engine was 300 hp.

IMO, there was no introductory or lead-in car to the Corvette back then---no Camaro---and as some would say, the current Camaro still isn't a "baby Corvette" or lead-in to Corvette ownership. Maybe someday, but not now.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-26-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: GM working on 2015 Low Cost Corvettte < 400 HP according to MotorTrend