Sponsored by:

Fangs defined.....re: pedestrian safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Fangs defined.....re: pedestrian safety

I have seen in different threads people asking how the "fangs" help pedestrian safety. I am not 100% sure, but I think I understand the answer. If someone knows for sure, here is the place to put it to bed.

I think what people are missing is that the fangs are not designed for safety, they are the RESULT of safety. If you want a car that has a front "splitter", it probably cannot protrude beyond the front of the car. So what they are doing is stopping the splitter on both sides before it reaches the center - the result just looks like fangs.

I think if you look at the front from the side, you would see that by doing this, the splitter does not protrude past the front of the nose of the blunt bumper.

This is just my theory. There is one person on this forum who I'm betting either knows, or can find out very quickly if I'm right. I await your thoughts!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It would be nice to get a definitive explanation of the fangs - and how it will impact other cars as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I have seen in different threads people asking how the "fangs" help pedestrian safety. I am not 100% sure, but I think I understand the answer. If someone knows for sure, here is the place to put it to bed.

I think what people are missing is that the fangs are not designed for safety, they are the RESULT of safety. If you want a car that has a front "splitter", it probably cannot protrude beyond the front of the car. So what they are doing is stopping the splitter on both sides before it reaches the center - the result just looks like fangs.

I think if you look at the front from the side, you would see that by doing this, the splitter does not protrude past the front of the nose of the blunt bumper.

This is just my theory. There is one person on this forum who I'm betting either knows, or can find out very quickly if I'm right. I await your thoughts!
Or not...
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

I think GM should put REAL fangs on the Corvette. You know, scary white Dracula fangs which terrify pedestrians and force them to pay attention. There is a nationwide problem with people using their mobile phones while crossing streets. NYC passed a law a couple of years ago, banning such behavior.

The logic is that when you collide with a pedestrian (so busy yapping away or texting on their cell phones) the fangs will reduce the chances of their heads hitting the hood...a higher cause of death than broken legs.

I rather like the fangs on the C7, but it's looking a little too trendy now that everyone else is doing it. For example, Google images of the newest BMW's.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think the "fangs' look great. My only concern would be banging them into concrete blocks in various parking lots. I would have to get a proximity sensor installed for my daily driving otherwise at one time or another I'd be banging those things into the little concrete barriers in parking lots ...

I know I am not alone in this action from time to time.

With the front plate I have hanging off the lower portion of the c6 usually my plate takes a slight hit from time to time...but never do I hit the front lower edge of the car.

JMO
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Jim,

since BlueOx doesn't seem to want to share his knowledge with you , here is some reading material for you on the ECE.

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29...grspinf45.html

http://www.pedestrians-int.org/main.php?id=18

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Maybe the fangs work like little coat hooks. They hook the pedestrian by the collar just before they get pulled under the car..
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Jo's continuing feeble attempt to find a legal explanation of why the C6 designers did away with the pop up headlights because of EURO pedestrian laws instead of the excessive weight, poor reliablity, poor lighting, etc., is just sad.

Maybe after all these years his extensive research into documentation may actually be meaningful to a topic at hand.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The document below gets into some of the testing info regarding Pedestrian Injury Mitigation which is what is driving these new protrusions at the base of the front facia.
If you look at the link below, Lee 6 which should be page 6 has a diagram and in particular item C in figure 6 is where that comes into play.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv.../05-0105-O.pdf

This document gets into some of the science behind it leading up to the latest mandates. It shows some of the progression up until 2010. Shows crash dummy testing as well.
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...BF7?sequence=1
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

for what they are intended to do (if they are for that purpose), I think they look pretty good. and then I read those papers/studies above fr. slief. I'm surprised they weren't mandated to be "giant pillows."

I don't know much about the fangs but I do hope they do whatever is the intended function so that "giant pillows" aren't required years from now.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by AORoads
for what they are intended to do (if they are for that purpose), I think they look pretty good. and then I read those papers/studies above fr. slief. I'm surprised they weren't mandated to be "giant pillows."

I don't know much about the fangs but I do hope they do whatever is the intended function so that "giant pillows" aren't required years from now.
I still say it should be on the pedestrians to solve themselves with new pedestrian suits!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are fangs on the new Malibu too. I noticed this weekend on my uncles car.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

Wait a minute. You have a good idea. Front bumper external air bags! Automotive styling could get back to normal.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
The logic is that when you collide with a pedestrian (so busy yapping away or texting on their cell phones) the fangs will reduce the chances of their heads hitting the hood...a higher cause of death than broken legs.
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand how the fangs accomplish this.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
There are fangs on the new Malibu too. I noticed this weekend on my uncles car.
Yup..
Also on 2014 Audi's:
https://www.google.com/search?q=2014...w=1024&bih=672

2014 BMW:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.kJMf0epio9o

2014 Hondas:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.s5Ig7zFHzK0

2014 Mercedes. Not as obvious but still there:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.tTGMF3pLH04

2014 Lamborghini
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1024&bih=672

2014 Jaguar:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.YtMwLHhPGzk

Need I say more?? You will find it in some manifestation on most 2014 vehicles.

Last edited by slief; 02-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fangs are on other cars like the Aventador, Impala, and a few others. Euro pedestrian laws are the reason Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Mini, have higher hood lines. I think something about being able to knock a pedestrian out of the way if there is impact?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

Doubtful this is the case at all. Here is my theory, GM was afraid a full front splitter would further deplete C7 of its claimed performance potential that already seems to be skimpy. Full spoiler means more drag.

Get notified of new replies

To Fangs defined.....re: pedestrian safety

Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petermj
Doubtful this is the case at all. Here is my theory, GM was afraid a full front splitter would further deplete C7 of its claimed performance potential that already seems to be skimpy. Full spoiler means more drag.
Peter,
I would suggest you read my above 2 posts and do some more reading. You are sadly mistaken in your assumption. You will see variations of the Fangs all almost ALL 2014 cars! This is fact and it there is nothing to doubt or theorize upon.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
The fangs are on other cars like the Aventador, Impala, and a few others. Euro pedestrian laws are the reason Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Mini, have higher hood lines. I think something about being able to knock a pedestrian out of the way if there is impact?
Then there is no reason not to have a full length splitter? Camaro somehow managed not to get these fangs.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

No matter if they are required or not. The fangs do look good on the front bumper.

Quick Reply: Fangs defined.....re: pedestrian safety