C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should I fear early C7 bugs and reliabilty issues??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Don_SA
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I fear early C7 bugs and reliabilty issues??

Seeing the Stingray in the car mags blew me away and I thought, "that could be my next car." In doing some research on Corvettes I see what amazing deals the C6 are, and I think I could live with one quite happily. In fact, I was pretty convinced up until very recently that I would be getting the C6, but the C7 keeps calling my name. It appeals to me as much as any exotic every did (though I am starting to reconsider the taillamps.)

My choices are to get a C6 at the end of summer for about $40k if prices hold, or send a forum dealer my deposit now and wait to get a C7 some time next summer. The timing is fine in either case, I have other cars to drive, and by waiting until next summer I can save the difference in the price. I want it for a Route 66 road trip in September 2014.

What gives me pause is the electronics in the C7 and the fact that it is so new, and apparently GM tends to have problems the first year. My goal is to finance about 75% of the car, finance it for 72 months and keep it 10 years or more, like I have my Miata, which I purchased new in 1998 (leftover 1997 model.) I'd drive the Corevette between 5-12,000 miles per year.

Part of me tells me I would have a much better long-term relationship with a C6, given it has been out a while and is much less complex. I find the electronic dash, rev matching paddles, electric steering, etc a source of concern and I don't want to get slammed with huge repair bills once the car is out of warranty. It's not like a C6 isn't awesome on its own! Keeping with the simplicity theme, I'd get an 1LT or 2LT at the max if I went that direction. From what I read the 2LT nav and Bose aren't that great.

If you were going to keep the car a long time, would you choose 2013 C6 or 2014 C7?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

I would get the C7 but in your last paragraph you made youir own case on why you should get a C6.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

While many purchase a first year car, and not have any real problems, others are not so lucky.

Nothing sours a "dream" more then having a car that spends more time in the shop then on the road, or spending every waking minute fighting the manufacturer with a lemon lawsuit.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Fear is a strong emotion. I doubt I fear anything that is not a weapon..Well maybe pissing off my Dad back in the day..
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

There are many here on the forum that bought the C6 new in '05 and never had a bit of problems. Yes you are correct there is a lot more electronics in the C7. What you have to ask your self did you fall in love with the looks of the C7 or was it just that it is the new generation where as the C6 in the last generation. The thought of buying a brand new C6 fully loaded at a great price is also something to think about. When the C7 start hitting the lots you will see the deals on the remaining C6.
Where the problem comes in there is that you will only be able to buy what is left and there may not be one with the options you would like.
So it is up to you as to buying a new C6 at a reduced price or biting the bullet and going with a C7.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the C6, and keep it for five or so years. If it turns out that the C7 doesn't have the usual first-year bugs, then you can always trade in the C6.
c7
Maybe after few years the styling will be cleaned up a bit, and the Camaro influence expunged.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
There are many here on the forum that bought the C6 new in '05 and never had a bit of problems. Yes you are correct there is a lot more electronics in the C7. What you have to ask your self did you fall in love with the looks of the C7 or was it just that it is the new generation where as the C6 in the last generation. The thought of buying a brand new C6 fully loaded at a great price is also something to think about. When the C7 start hitting the lots you will see the deals on the remaining C6.
Where the problem comes in there is that you will only be able to buy what is left and there may not be one with the options you would like.
So it is up to you as to buying a new C6 at a reduced price or biting the bullet and going with a C7.
I bought a lightly used (5000mi.) '05 C6 vert and haven't had a bit of problem.
Ultimately, there are no real guarantees that any year of any car won't have problems. Only guarantees of fixes afterwards.

Last edited by BlueOx; 02-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Dale427
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Judging by all the bugs that my 2007 Tahoe had, I would suggest waiting a couple of years...
Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
While many purchase a first year car, and not have any real problems, others are not so lucky.

Nothing sours a "dream" more then having a car that spends more time in the shop then on the road, or spending every waking minute fighting the manufacturer with a lemon lawsuit.
You suing GM?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

MOST will not have problems with first year cars
Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general, all companies have more issues, recalls and problems with first year models than later models..

I would say wait until the C7s are out, look around for a really good price on a C6, maybe an LT3 or 4, or GS the color and way you want it, and if you cannot find one you really like, get a C7.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Get the C7 and get an extended warranty. Best of both. You get the C7 and don't have to worry about non-warranty repairs if you should experience some "1st year bugs".

I'm getting a C7, adding an extended warranty and not worrying about it. I'm looking forward to cross-country trips in the new C7. I did Route 66 in my C6 and totally loved it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
You suing GM?
No, but I have been stupid enough to buy a first year car in the past.

The reason that every(I think) state has lemon laws is because there is a need for them.

I suspect(not stating as fact) that first year cars were some of the reason for states to enact lemon laws.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Erik_In_Carlsbad
Instructor

A tale of lessons learned (or will I actually learn from my lessons)...

My 2005 C6 was delivered in late Sept 2004. I think it was one of the first few that were sold.

And yeah, I paid a price in reliability for the privilege of having the baddest-*** ride around.

The day after purchase, various warning lights came on. This was tied to a problem with the cruise control (which I hadn't even used yet).

The week after purchase, the nav/radio died. Replaced.

Over the remaining 4 yrs and 11 mos (and about 80K miles) of me owning it, I had the joy of experiencing:
* Two flatbed rides due to two rounds of Dead Battery Syndrome -- in each case I was completely locked out of the car due to electric door locks. Fortunatly Chevy dealers figured out how to restore power by putting the car on a lift and running jumper cables underneath.
* Several flatbed rides due to car not starting -- pressing Start button resulted in a series of clicks, not the joyous turning over of 8 cylinders. After replacing several computer modules, switches, etc. over several service visits over the course of a year, the local dealer finally addressed that one.
* A disintegrating AC compressor,
* Intermittent tire pressure monitoring failures (would jump to 0 psi and back to normal again),
* Failed water pump, leading to overheating,
* Scary kicking in of unneeded Active Handling braking at freeway speed (I complained to NTSB and I think a recall ensued).

Needless to say, I bought the 5 year extended warranty, and paid for none of the above repairs (except payment in form of brief losses of sanity).

For comparison sake, the 2001 C5 I'd owned had a few problems after purchase, including major transmission repairs, but remained trouble free for the remainder of my owning it.

So... would I buy a first-model-year C7, replete with all kinds of new electronic technology which may be gremlin infested? You know, from all the fun that I had while my C6 wasn't on a flatbed, I just might. And I just might invoke my state's Lemon Law provisions if the C7 acts up.

-Erik
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
In general, all companies have more issues, recalls and problems with first year models than later models..

I would say wait until the C7s are out, look around for a really good price on a C6, maybe an LT3 or 4, or GS the color and way you want it, and if you cannot find one you really like, get a C7.
Actually, the latest survey on 3 year old cars showed that first year cars actually had a slightly lower number of problems, on average, than returning cars.

I had a 97 and an 05. The only "first year" problem I had was the noisy fuel pump on the 97. Which was replaced once they had a revised pump. It just took a few months for them to come up with the revised pump.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Don_SA
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I would get the C7 but in your last paragraph you made youir own case on why you should get a C6.
There is a strong case for both, and that is why I am somewhat torn. I do think I am going to get the C7 but the price and overall goodness of the C6 are very compelling around $40,000.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Don_SA
How much should I fear early C7 bugs and reliabilty issues??
About as much as you fear a caning for spitting on the sidewalk.

Get notified of new replies

To How much should I fear early C7 bugs and reliabilty issues??

Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

There should be a bloodbath in Dealer lots and this forums C6 For Sale section in the fall of this year. This will be the best time ever in getting a deal on a C6 if that's what your looking for. If I wasn't already in the car I want, I'd be waiting for the summer to wind down and the Fall new car fever to hit.

Can't wait for the blood letting to begin!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Get the C6, and keep it for five or so years. If it turns out that the C7 doesn't have the usual first-year bugs, then you can always trade in the C6.
c7
Maybe after few years the styling will be cleaned up a bit, and the Camaro influence expunged.
You'll get a great deal on a car that's well sorted-out with a C6. In two or three years, they'll make some worthwhile changes on the C7.
Kinda like "service packs" for a Windows operating system. I'd go C6.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
There should be a bloodbath in Dealer lots and this forums C6 For Sale section in the fall of this year. This will be the best time ever in getting a deal on a C6 if that's what your looking for. If I wasn't already in the car I want, I'd be waiting for the summer to wind down and the Fall new car fever to hit.

Can't wait for the blood letting to begin!!!!
But what if the C7 proves to be unpopular? Those Z06s and maybe some other models might be more valuble than you think. Especially when the Z, ZR1, and some GS models might outperform the new car.

Quick Reply: How much should I fear early C7 bugs and reliabilty issues??