Software Simulation of C7 LT1 HP/Torque

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 497 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Software Simulation of C7 LT1 HP/Torque

With all of this debate over the C7 LT1 Horsepower/Torque ratings, I took a stab at loading the preliminary LT1 specs from the Corvette Action Center posting into the Virtual Engine Dyno Software. I make no claim as to the accuracy of the predicted results, however the numbers are interesting. I used SAE correction since it yields lower numbers.

Here are the specs entered into the software (I tweaked the cam timing to get 450 lb/ft torque on 87 Octane):

I ran two simulated tests, the first at 87 Octane:

The second at 96 Octane (a conservative estimate for E85):

In my first try the software said this combination is achieved a volumetric efficiency of 101% all the way to 6500 RPM which does not make sense. I used the calibration feature to force the VE and torque peak down to about 4250-4500 RPM and it now looks more like the GM curves. I am speculating the cam specs of 200/206 degree duration with the .551/.524" lift and 116.5 degree lobe separation is fooling the software because there was nothing like that in the old days. The specs must be unique to the VVT cam, and this 2005 version software just doesn't know what to do with it.

Let the speculation continue…

Last edited by adamsocb; 02-16-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Revised the Simulation, Changed Rocker Arm Ratio to 1.8
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

OK, I am not a real gearhead, so I am not going to say what you have is inaccurate, but GM has said all along that the LT1 generates is max torque up through the lower RPM range to 4000 RPM will the graph show the peak well above that range.
As far as the HP, I think it will be above the estimated 450, but I doubt in the base model that will be available in 2014 MY it will come close what you have on the graph.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BWF07
OK, I am not a real gearhead, so I am not going to say what you have is inaccurate, but GM has said all along that the LT1 generates is max torque up through the lower RPM range to 4000 RPM will the graph show the peak well above that range.
As far as the HP, I think it will be above the estimated 450, but I doubt in the base model that will be available in 2014 MY it will come close what you have on the graph.
I agree, something is skewing the VE (and with it torque) way high on the RPM curve. I would have expected the torque to peak around 4000RPM, not 6000 RPM like this simulation is predicting. I will try some other parameters to see if I can get the torque curve slid back down where it belongs.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

crap in- crap out. you can't even get the rocker arm ratio correct.

Your simulation shows the engine making HP and torque at 7250 RPM, when the LT1 won't turn more then 6500 RPM and it makes it's max HP at 5900 according to GM.

You show the intake CFM at 750, where did you get that figure? You show the exhaust from a mid year with long tubes and aftermarket mufflers with a 3" intake/exit.

This the official GM Hp/torque dyno graph....

Notice that the torque has dropped to 365 at 6500 RPM and the horsepower is also falling, down to 445 at 6500.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

This simulation is wrong.....There is no way that a cam inlet duration of 200 deg is going to have a horsepower peak in the 6500 rpm range....in an engine of this size.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Your simulation shows the engine making HP and torque at 7250 RPM, when the LT1 won't turn more then 6500 RPM and it makes it's max HP at 5900 according to GM.

You show the intake CFM at 750, where did you get that figure? You show the exhaust from a mid year with long tubes and aftermarket mufflers with a 3" intake/exit.
...and then there would be the alternate way you could have phrased your comment:

"Interesting first attempt at a simulation. I noticed a few places where your parameters seemed inaccurate. You might want to try adjusting these items and running it again to see what happens."
Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5

This the official GM Hp/torque dyno graph....

Notice that the torque has dropped to 365 at 6500 RPM and the horsepower is also falling, down to 445 at 6500.
One point at a time:
How do you know the rocker arm ratio is incorrect? I did not see a ratio in the specs. The LS3 ratio was 1.7 but in the pictures of the LT1 head the rockers look shorter. In any event I don't think it makes much difference since the lift (intake .551" and exhaust .524") are at the valve not the cam.

Even though the 87mm TB can flow up to 1300CFM I didn't change it since the motor didn't need more than about 750 CFM anyway. I adjusted it to 1300 and the simulated graph did not change.

I still cannot figure out why the software is placing peak torque at 6000 RPM with a 200 degree cam duration. It may just be wrong. I used the
"Calibration" feature to force the peak VE and torque down where it is on the GM graph and the HP follows accordingly.

So much for out of date (2005) engine simulation software.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsocb
One point at a time:
How do you know the rocker arm ratio is incorrect? I did not see a ratio in the specs. The LS3 ratio was 1.7 but in the pictures of the LT1 head the rockers look shorter. In any event I don't think it makes much difference since the lift (intake .551" and exhaust .524") are at the valve not the cam.

Even though the 87mm TB can flow up to 1300CFM I didn't change it since the motor didn't need more than about 750 CFM anyway. I adjusted it to 1300 and the simulated graph did not change.

I still cannot figure out why the software is placing peak torque at 6000 RPM with a 200 degree cam duration. It may just be wrong. I used the
"Calibration" feature to force the peak VE and torque down where it is on the GM graph and the HP follows accordingly.

So much for out of date (2005) engine simulation software.
They have published the rocker arm spec for the LT1. It is 1.8:1.

GM has spent tens of millions of dollars over the past 5 years designing the LT1 and then GM shows us a dyno graph of the LT1, and everyone on this forum calls it BS. Why????

Then people say GM doesn't know what they are doing, and try and discredit GM's numbers, by pretending that they are more informed about designing engines then GM. Why???
Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read LT1 rocker ratio is 1:8
Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
This simulation is wrong.....
and I don't see where in the setup - to say that fuel delivery is via in-cylinder direct injection ?

that makes one helluva difference in estimating when the torque starts to add in.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I read LT1 rocker ratio is 1:8
I found the article in GM High-Tech Performance where the rocker arm ratio is listed at 1.8 and made the change. I was previously estimating the ratio based on the picture of the LT1 head.

And BTW, I am neither defending what this software comes up with or disputing GM's engineers. The LT1 engine with DGI and VVT is a new paradigm and GM can tune it to do whatever they want. It does seem odd to me the VE would fall off as fast the GM curve given what might be possible. The truth will be known soon enough, and all of this is just idle speculation on a Saturday afternoon.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

all of this is just idle speculation on a Saturday afternoon.

FYI; it's also not a good idea to quote 1/4 mile times - based on a G-Tech meter...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM
HBJG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take 490HP/475LBFT regardless of what the rearend looks like! That'll have the C7 off & running
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
FYI; it's also not a good idea to quote 1/4 mile times - based on a G-Tech meter...
If you do make sure to put "estimated" in front of it
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

and I don't see where in the setup - to say that fuel delivery is via in-cylinder direct injection ?

that makes one helluva difference in estimating when the torque starts to add in.
Practically yes since other forms of fuel delivery are less precise and may not be able to deliver and time the perfect air/fuel ratio at a given RPM. I don't know how my software calculates air/fuel precision and that may be part of the problem, but I don't think it explains why the torque and VE were so far up the RPM scale in my uncalibrated simulation.
My understanding of torque is that it is a product of displacement, dynamic compression ratio, and volumetric efficiency (VE). In a naturally aspirated engine VE can only get to 100% or maybe 101% with good intake and exhaust tuning. The dynamic compression ratio is always less than the static compression ratio due to valve timing overlap. In traditional racing engines the cam duration is made longer to increase VE at high RPM which causes more valve overlap and lower dynamic compression ratio. The causes the torque peak to move up the RPM scale and produce more horsepower at higher RPM. I am thinking the VVT is able to optimize overlap for higher compression at low RPM and combined with the DGI make for a very strong flat torque curve starting at low RPM. There may be some penalty in VE at high RPM which causes the torque to drop off more than when the cam is optimized for high RPM. Of course more duration and overlap also hurt fuel economy with conventional injection since some of the unburnt charge goes out the exhaust. DGI should be able to help that as well.

Just for an example, if you look at the LS7 HP/Torque graph the torque peaks at 470 lb-ft just above 5000 RPM and stays above 450 out to about 6500RPM.

It is interesting the LT1 is expected to make 450 lb-ft max torque but drop to 360 lb-ft by 6500 RPM. If the LT1 could make 400 lb-ft out to 6500 RPM the HP would be 495. The tuning we are seeing could be for fuel economy, drivability, or any other of a number of reasons.
This engine will have great possiblities and GM may be holding much in reserve for the first year or two.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't post it. The software is predicting a 1/4 mile ET of 11.09@121MPH with a vehicle weight of 3250.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Practically yes since other forms of fuel delivery are less precise and may not be able to deliver and time the perfect air/fuel ratio at a given RPM. I don't know how my software calculates air/fuel precision and that may be part of the problem, but I don't think it explains why the torque and VE were so far up the RPM scale in my uncalibrated simulation.
My understanding of torque is that it is a product of displacement, dynamic compression ratio, and volumetric efficiency (VE). In a naturally aspirated engine VE can only get to 100% or maybe 101% with good intake and exhaust tuning. The dynamic compression ratio is always less than the static compression ratio due to valve timing overlap. In traditional racing engines the cam duration is made longer to increase VE at high RPM which causes more valve overlap and lower dynamic compression ratio. The causes the torque peak to move up the RPM scale and produce more horsepower at higher RPM. I am thinking the VVT is able to optimize overlap for higher compression at low RPM and combined with the DGI make for a very strong flat torque curve starting at low RPM. There may be some penalty in VE at high RPM which causes the torque to drop off more than when the cam is optimized for high RPM. Of course more duration and overlap also hurt fuel economy with conventional injection since some of the unburnt charge goes out the exhaust. DGI should be able to help that as well.

Just for an example, if you look at the LS7 HP/Torque graph the torque peaks at 470 lb-ft just above 5000 RPM and stays above 450 out to about 6500RPM.

It is interesting the LT1 is expected to make 450 lb-ft max torque but drop to 360 lb-ft by 6500 RPM. If the LT1 could make 400 lb-ft out to 6500 RPM the HP would be 495. The tuning we are seeing could be for fuel economy, drivability, or any other of a number of reasons.
This engine will have great possiblities and GM may be holding much in reserve for the first year or two.
Cam is too small for strong top end power....

Get notified of new replies

To Software Simulation of C7 LT1 HP/Torque

Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Good guess work Adam

Hey man, nice try, for a Saturday afternoon effort and we don't yet know all the engine numbers, this was very interesting to look at. We can only hope that the C7 actually has more HP and Torque than what GM has released thus far. I believe it will.

Cheers,

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
mikemote
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

It all boils down to this ( E=MC2 )
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Is this supposed to be crank hp?

Quick Reply: Software Simulation of C7 LT1 HP/Torque