Sponsored by:

GM - come on with the info already!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I certainly didn't take Talon's original response as being derogatory to the SME or to the engineering field in general. I thought the point was pretty clear that a certificate, by itself, isn't a good indicator of the person's knowledge and talent.

I have a Ph.D. but I don't go around introducing myself as Dr. and casual acquaintances and members of several community groups I volunteer with don't know I have a doctorate. My wife and I humorously agreed not to use titles at home when we were married because she has two Master's degrees and insisted if she had to call me doctor I had to call her master When my now 9 year old daughter was 4 she nearly fell over laughing when one of my grad students called me Dr., she had never heard me called that previously.

Talon has provided some of the most informative posts in the C7 forum and it is appreciated by many of us I am sure.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have been in the Corvette plant 5 times, but not as a groupie like you, hanging around as a name dropper like you..

I have visited other automobile plants and I started my career as a manufacturing engineer with a company that was a supplier to the big 3, and the plant was a UAW plant.

Mighty impressed with you being a lifetime member of the NCM and being an Ambassador. Did you get awarded that honor, or did you buy it, as I did my SME senior membership. Oh and I'm not a member of the NCM, even though I have toured it a half dozen times. Does my knowing a lifetime member of the NCM and an Ambassador give me any cred's. If so, A good friend is a NCM lifetime member and is an Ambassador. Do I get any more gold stars because he also owns one of each generation of Corvettes, unlike your one.

Oh, an since I'm not a groupie, I can only say I've met one member of the Corvette Team, and that was in 1997. Dick Almond, Corvette brand manager. Darn it, now I'm a name dropper, and my 30 minute chat with Mr. Almond makes me in the "know" with the Corvette Team.

One can only conclude, after reading your (too) many posts herein, and being bludgeoned with your hostility, contempt and disdain for the thoughts or opinions of any others, that there must be a severe lack of fiber in your diet.

For gawds sake man, the earth does not orbit around Springfield, MO
and the thoughts and opinions of others have value equal to yours. This world has no need for a cynic without a cause. Lighten up - munch on a couple dried prunes - learn to coexist with the other carbon based lifeforms. Corvettes come and go but how you treat others lasts and lasts.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Corvettes come and go but how you treat others lasts and lasts.
Hear, Hear!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
I certainly didn't take Talon's original response as being derogatory to the SME or to the engineering field in general. I thought the point was pretty clear that a certificate, by itself, isn't a good indicator of the person's knowledge and talent.

I have a Ph.D. but I don't go around introducing myself as Dr. and casual acquaintances and members of several community groups I volunteer with don't know I have a doctorate. My wife and I humorously agreed not to use titles at home when we were married because she has two Master's degrees and insisted if she had to call me doctor I had to call her master When my now 9 year old daughter was 4 she nearly fell over laughing when one of my grad students called me Dr., she had never heard me called that previously.

Talon has provided some of the most informative posts in the C7 forum and it is appreciated by many of us I am sure.
If you read the thread you will see that I did not volunteer the information about belonging to the SME until I was challenged as not being knowledgeable in the field of manufacturing. The easiest way was to show that I had some experience and it was easiest to show that I was a senior member in the SME. I was not trying to prove I was anything more then I am.

I wasn't addressing Paul, but he decided to "call me out" by denigrating my membership in the SME by saying any yahoo with $138 could belong to the SME. He doesn't even know enough about the SME to know what senior member is.

Having been in manufacturing all my life as an engineer and in management, I have acquired a little bit of knowledge over the past 45 years.

My post is the same as your post now. You didn't bring up your credentials out of the blue, but you did now, to prove a point. That's no different then what I did.

Just as Paul did with his crap about being a lifetime member of the NCM. You don't have to do anything to join the museum other then write a check, and being an Ambassador is a freebie given to anyone that belongs to a club that wants to be an Ambassador. At least with my senior membership in the SME, I actually couldn't just buy it as Paul tried to make it out to be in his post.

What was he trying to prove, by bringing it out that he belonged to the NCM and being an Ambassador, was an attempt to give himself creds on this forum, when actually $25 will get you a membership in the museum. No education or knowledge about Corvettes required to belong to the museum or to be an Ambassador, but it sure sounds important.

Oh, and 99% of the information he gives out on this forum is available on line. You don't have to know a single GM engineer, etc, to find that information and to pass it on.

One thing I will give credit to Paul, is that he does have a good memory and is able to recite "facts" when people ask about them. But the "facts" he recites are not anything that a little research on the web can find. As for as him being a member of the "inner circle" with the movers and shakers at GM, he isn't, not any more then I am, in Springfield, MO..

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-16-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: GM - come on with the info already!