Sponsored by:

Anybody feeling like a kid

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM
LS6GXP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody feeling like a kid

Waiting for this car. I remember waiting for Christmas morning as a kid and the year felt like forever...

Still trying to figure out the color
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 AM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6GXP
Waiting for this car. I remember waiting for Christmas morning as a kid and the year felt like forever...

I remember exactly the 1st Corvette I've ever seen, it was a C2 Coupe, it was painted white metal flake with a blue metal flake stripe in the middle, was driven by some hippie guy that had one of those donut steering wheel. I was 6 yrs old and can remember every detail about that corvette.
2nd I was excited about Corvette C3 was a 68 Gold and Rare Earth were performing the song Get Ready Here I Come. ( I was 8 yrs old)

3rd corvette I fell in love was a 1972 C3, blue with blue interior had the side thrush mufflers and 454 hood. (similar to the C3 Picture below with the hood) The guy who owned it lived in the apartment across the street, and I would stand for hours in front of the window just to see the guy get in and drive off or park his car. Especially at night so i can watch the headlights popup or retract. (i was 12yrs old.)

I've never been excited about a Corvette since 72, until the C7 came.

As a kid Corvette was my dream car, and I remember going with my father to the car dealer in 1972, there was a Corvette in the showroom and I told my dad why don't you buy the Corvette its nicer then the Chevelle, and my dad responded "and where will I put your mother and brother?" I replied they can take the bus by the time I grew up, there were other cars and in my late 30's I bought my first sports car being a used 92 NSX, when it got stolen I jumped ship to a used Yellow C5, sold it to get a used 2007 Aston Martin Vantage V8.

I wanted to pull the trigger and trade it in for the 911(991) Porsche but was holding off to see what the C7 would look like. I decided to keep the Vantage for another year and will be looking for a 2015-16 C7.

My car Bucket list is short. managed to own 3 of the 5 cars I wished for. The other 2 remaining on the bucket list are the 911 and would love to get my hands on a DeTomaso Pantera and or Mangusta.
Sorry for getting carried away.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. I'm really eagerly awaiting this car. Though that plastic intake manifold cover has me in fits. (it and the lower rear bumper assembly ugh)

I'm not getting a first year car, it's not that I'm waiting for a ZO6/ LT4 or anything silly like that but there's going to be bugs that need to be worked out, either through the racing program, street driving by the community en mass or both.

I'm figuring I'm shooting for a year 3 purchase.

Car is drop dead sexy though. It's definitely near the top of cars I want badly, which is impressive considering I have yet to see one in person.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John_R
I remember exactly the 1st Corvette I've ever seen, it was a C2 Coupe, it was painted white metal flake with a blue metal flake stripe in the middle, was driven by some hippie guy that had one of those donut steering wheel. I was 6 yrs old and can remember every detail about that corvette.
2nd I was excited about Corvette C3 was a 68 Gold and Rare Earth were performing the song Get Ready Here I Come. ( I was 8 yrs old)

3rd corvette I fell in love was a 1972 C3, blue with blue interior had the side thrush mufflers and 454 hood. (similar to the C3 Picture below with the hood) The guy who owned it lived in the apartment across the street, and I would stand for hours in front of the window just to see the guy get in and drive off or park his car. Especially at night so i can watch the headlights popup or retract. (i was 12yrs old.)

I've never been excited about a Corvette since 72, until the C7 came.

As a kid Corvette was my dream car, and I remember going with my father to the car dealer in 1972, there was a Corvette in the showroom and I told my dad why don't you buy the Corvette its nicer then the Chevelle, and my dad responded "and where will I put your mother and brother?" I replied they can take the bus by the time I grew up, there were other cars and in my late 30's I bought my first sports car being a used 92 NSX, when it got stolen I jumped ship to a used Yellow C5, sold it to get a used 2007 Aston Martin Vantage V8.

I wanted to pull the trigger and trade it in for the 911(991) Porsche but was holding off to see what the C7 would look like. I decided to keep the Vantage for another year and will be looking for a 2015-16 C7.

My car Bucket list is short. managed to own 3 of the 5 cars I wished for. The other 2 remaining on the bucket list are the 911 and would love to get my hands on a DeTomaso Pantera and or Mangusta.
Sorry for getting carried away.

how did you like the 07 Aston Martin?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Having owned corvettes continuously for the past 40 years, I can wait. Since I already have two fairly new corvettes in the garage with 24k and 14k miles, it will be a few years into the C7 gen before I buy a C7. I am used to waiting anyway.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

I like the excitement in waiting for the new model while I still enjoy the present available model. I never have to be the first to own the latest and greatest as I can wait for a little while as the market calms down....

Usually the third year of production and for those three years....I do feel like a kid in a candy store.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

I am pretty sure no one would guess I am excited about my NU to Be Stingray
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I'm there with you. Black or nothing for me. I even like the blue and I could never see myself driving a blue car prior to the C7 release
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

We have much in common.

1. I am also eagerly awaiting for the C7. Z for me unless I’m too impatient.
2. I love C2 & C3.
3. I previously owned an Aston Martin Vantage. Positives: looks to kill interior & exterior, awesome exhaust sound, awesome stereo sound, quality material, and pretty dependable car. Negatives: rattle in the dash, felt a little heavy, not enough power, cave-man technology, the nav was ancient, and no push button start.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 684 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Absolutely...

Not sure why, but I am SOOOO with you on this... I haven't been this excited since the C5 came out which was leaps and bounds above the C4 and I remember vividly when Chevy said they would take on the world at Le Mans and everyone laughed.... Not anymore... I think the Stingray will shock everyone and sales will be much greater than people think, DESPITE the economy, you heard it here first, and I too can't decide on color which is SO unlike me
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Nope, I'm not buying one.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You already drove it and made your decision based on real life verification of your expectations?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I've felt like a kid for the past five years. 2007 C6ZO6 Titled 12/26/2007.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
John_R
Racer

Originally Posted by alanhang
how did you like the 07 Aston Martin?

I LOVE IT, it's like dating Kate Beckinsale (Underworld)

A C6, C7 Corvette & 911 will beat the crap & outperform a Vantage V8!!!
A Z06 will do the same to a Vantage V12.
A ZR1 will rape it.
In summary all 3 Vette models will gang bang it.

Avoid early model Vantage with the sport shift (paddleshift) at all costs. Its known to burn clutches and you'll end up changing a slipping clutch sooner then you expected. You're looking at $6000 for the clutch and another $1,350 for parts. Labor is around $250/hour like any exotic cars. (Ferrari or Lambo.)

The navigation sucks, its taken from a Volvo (When Ford owned Volvo). Interior all leather, but it does have a weakness, leather unglues near the base of the windshield due to sun heat. If you live in a hot state like Texas, Arizona or Florida put one of those windshield heat shields.

The Premium Sound System is great, no need for the Bang & Olufsen, you won't notice the difference.

Again it all depends what YOU buy the car for. I knew full well that I'll get my *** kicked by Corvettes & 911s. Its a great GT cruiser, like wearing an Armani suit.

Maintenance wise you're looking at $1600 every year (or every 16K km) That's just for regular maintenance fluid changes, should any part be replaced, expect to shell out a few $K's.

Down side is long waiting time for parts. As we all know British cars do have its gremlins, but I would say FORD did a good job in reviving the brand and making it more reliable then its previous British owner.

Its now owned by renowned David Richards Prodrive and some Arab investors I believe. Recently there has been rumors about AM being up for sale & that Toyota might be a candidate.

One thing I wished that all Corvette have is the Aston Martin doors, that open upwards as in the pic. Its a great feature that prevents your doors from hitting a curb.

Its a great car as long distance GT cruiser and daily driver. Some AM owners do track the car, but at the cost of parts replacement and labor, I would think twice unless you are super rich.

Even, mods of all types ranging from mufflers, horsepower increase from 4.3 to 4.7 liters, & track mods.
Example: A simple muffler mod and your looking at spending $5K to $7K again depending on what YOU want. No cheap mods for this car!! and guess what, a Corvette will still kick its ***.
I'm well off, make a 6 figure salary, but not enough to justify the high cost of modifying a Vantage, its madness! Its why I won't Mod or track mine. I'd be better off spending that kind of money on a ZR1 or for $17,650.00 drop a Speed of Science built 3.5 liter ultimate forced induction engine for the NSX producing 800+ at the crankshaft and 680 whp enough to rape any V8 & V12 Aston Martin Vantage, and the Modified NSX will give the Unmodified ZR1 a run for its money. The 1st Generation NSX is the Japanese Corvette, reliable, easy to maintain and great for long distance, daily driver and track, and God do I miss my NSX.

As for the AM, its definitely one of the very few cars that gets a whole lot of attention from young boys all the way up to elderly guys and women due to its timeless design. This car is always referred as sex on wheels, and I'm surprised the police didn't stop me for Indecent exposure.

Sorry for the long response to your short question.

Last edited by John_R; 02-14-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Me To...

Yes, I feel that kind of super-excited feeling that I used to get when I was a kid. Me and my wife watched the unveil on Sunday at the Detroit auto show and I was ohh'ing and ahh'ing a lot.

Even though I thought I knew pretty much what it looked like, it was still revealing to see the car in the flesh (on TV) for the first time.

I want one, but will have to wait a few years until I pay off college, my current car, etc. But it is on the radar in 2-3 years, a used one, that is. I can't really afford new. But don't worry, a used convertible Stingray will probably still cost me in the mid to upper 40's, so I'll still be plenty broke!

I really want one even more since I sold my C6 Vert a few years ago. Been regretting that ever since, even though I knew I had to do it.

TomZ
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

For me it's been perfect timing. I had to get out of sports cars to raise a family. Now the vacation from Sports cars is over and it couldn't have been better timing. Thank you GM. Can't friggin wait to get back into a Corvette. This to me is the most complete model since the mid 60's. Good to be a Corvette fan these days...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I did have that kind of "Christmas" anticipation but the various leaked information/illustrations prior to the actual 'reveal' took a bit away from the suspense there always was pre-internet. My wife watched it with me and was surprised at my lack of real enthusiasm. I already had a deposit placed on one as well, so viewing it was more of a justification of why I did it. I did see the red one in person at B-J the next week. The C7 will be my 10th 'Vette, and the fourth 'first of the generation' models as I've had an early '84, '97, and '05 new within the first month or so of initial build commencing. I still have the '84 and plan to keep the '05 as well. I'm still deliberating on the color as well; narrowed down to Torch Red, Velocity Yellow, or Cyber Gray.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody feeling like a kid

Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Not there yet...I'm anxious to see it in person...but not to the point where I'm willing to pay MSRP to be one of the first to own one.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I will pay MSRP. And take the salesman out to lunch. So many dealers will go crazy adding on profit because they only get one or two and who are they going to **** off? They do not deal with Corvettes, so Corvette Byers can pay the price or go away. Dealers can wholesale their cars over MSRP. I did the research. Mile at mfurman@criswellauto.com reputation, member of the Corvette Museum, will do you right. Ships anywhere..get a Corvette that will make you happy without big money penalties !!!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
Not there yet...I'm anxious to see it in person...but not to the point where I'm willing to pay MSRP to be one of the first to own one.
That's why I'm going to the Bash.

Quick Reply: Anybody feeling like a kid