C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians: Buying in the States VS buying local. Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
GIXXER_1000
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadians: Buying in the States VS buying local. Which is better?

I currently have a 2008 Vette that I am looking to switch once the new C7 comes out.

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a new one in the states and brought it back to Canada if it was worth the troubles and how much did you save.

My 08 is an American but bought used and I know on the used market the difference is huge but i was wondering about the new...?

Thank you very much for all the info. If anyone selling them in the states reads this feel free to give me your opinion.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by GIXXER_1000
I currently have a 2008 Vette that I am looking to switch once the new C7 comes out.

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a new one in the states and brought it back to Canada if it was worth the troubles and how much did you save.

My 08 is an American but bought used and I know on the used market the difference is huge but i was wondering about the new...?

Thank you very much for all the info. If anyone selling them in the states reads this feel free to give me your opinion.
Unless GM changed the rules in the past 30 seconds, US dealers are not allowed to sell new Corvettes to Canadians.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I've never looked into it but JoesC5 is probably right that you can't buy a new one from the US. If it' slightly used I think it's worth looking into. Of course US cars have slightly lower resale value in Canada compared to Canadian counterparts. You will have to pay GST at the border + some other customs and duties, not sure what it would total to. If it's a modified car it might not pass the border either. There are some used car dealerships which specialize in importing cars from the US and selling them in Canada, they would add a bit of a premium but it would remove the hassle and you'll still likely get it for a bit of a discount compared to buying the used auto in Canada.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM
GIXXER_1000
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Unless GM changed the rules in the past 30 seconds, US dealers are not allowed to sell new Corvettes to Canadians.
Is there really such a thing as a NEW car. You leave the dealer and that's it it's used already.

Any importer can buy and resale to me most likely for the same price he paid. I think that any law can be bypassed.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Guys are right, find a dealer demo and pull the trigger. GM will not honor warranty until 60,000 kms if purchased in the U.S. used.

P.S. Your lucky, if you purchase a Dodge stateside (used or new if you can get it) they will never honor the warranty.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by GIXXER_1000;1583107324[COLOR="Red"
]Is there really such a thing as a NEW car[/COLOR]. You leave the dealer and that's it it's used already.

Any importer can buy and resale to me most likely for the same price he paid. I think that any law can be bypassed.
Yes, if you get it from a Chevrolet dealer with the original MSO.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well first before you buy you must ensure that the car is available to import under the RIV (registered import vehicles) list...otherwise its pointless to try. The warranty is mute till the car is 6months old (or the car has "X" amount of miles on it...dealer demo). I imported mine 2008 in 2009 as a used car...its quite easy but you just have to have all your paperwork and info ready when you cross the border. Best bet is to wait a year after they are introduced..and pick up a slightly used car like mine was (I had 2000 miles on mine)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Vette
GM will not honor warranty until 60,000 km.
Its 12000km AND 6 months titled.; if it were 60000km then it would be expired anyways......

And to answer OP's question WAYYYYYYY cheaper in the US! I know 1st hand.

Frank
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I just did a quick google on this. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.importcartocanada.info/
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Achmed
I've never looked into it but JoesC5 is probably right that you can't buy a new one from the US. If it' slightly used I think it's worth looking into. Of course US cars have slightly lower resale value in Canada compared to Canadian counterparts. You will have to pay GST at the border + some other customs and duties, not sure what it would total to. If it's a modified car it might not pass the border either. There are some used car dealerships which specialize in importing cars from the US and selling them in Canada, they would add a bit of a premium but it would remove the hassle and you'll still likely get it for a bit of a discount compared to buying the used auto in Canada.
there are no customs or duties on a nafta car coming into Canada. However there is GST/PST. The difference in new u.s vette to Canada vette is huge. The gauges switch back and forth so thats no big deal.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
well first before you buy you must ensure that the car is available to import under the RIV (registered import vehicles) list...otherwise its pointless to try. The warranty is mute till the car is 6months old (or the car has "X" amount of miles on it...dealer demo). I imported mine 2008 in 2009 as a used car...its quite easy but you just have to have all your paperwork and info ready when you cross the border. Best bet is to wait a year after they are introduced..and pick up a slightly used car like mine was (I had 2000 miles on mine)
correct. The border paperwork is bang on. You have to have everything they need under the act. I brought an 04 z06 back, and it was crucial to have all the right paperwork to make the crossing smooth. Also correct about the warranty issue.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

Bought my GS 2 yrs ago brand new in the States. Saving $ 30,000.
Dealer put warranty on the car put it in a GM auction it was now used no miles and not titled then I had a Canadian importer buy it and trailer it back. If you have someone you know in the US they can purchase a Vette from another state trailer it across (so no tax) state line and then sell it to you(again no tax). You can then do the paperwork and bring it back no problem you pay the taxes back home. I got full warranty after 6 months and 12000 km., I now have 25000km. on it.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
Dealer put warranty on the car put it in a GM auction it was now used no miles and not titled then I had a Canadian importer buy it and trailer it back. If you have someone you know in the US they can purchase a Vette from another state trailer it across (so no tax) state line and then sell it to you(again no tax). You can then do the paperwork and bring it back no problem you pay the taxes back home. I got full warranty after 6 months and 12000 km., I now have 25000km. on it.
nicely done. Who was the dealer? I would like to discuss doing something similar.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by frankmp
Its 12000km AND 6 months titled.; if it were 60000km then it would be expired anyways......

And to answer OP's question WAYYYYYYY cheaper in the US! I know 1st hand.

Frank
Sorry, I stand corrected. But 5 years or 100,000 mi is still pretty good for drivetrain warranty.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
Unusual, I had a buddy contact Rick Corvette Conti, (a member here on CF) and he flat out refused to sell him a new car from the U.S.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My mom lives in Texas so if the price difference is going to be huge then I'll just get her to buy one and send it to me.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by themonk
My mom lives in Texas so if the price difference is going to be huge then I'll just get her to buy one and send it to me.
will she buy one for me also,, will pay commission.

Get notified of new replies

To Canadians: Buying in the States VS buying local. Which is better?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

If she buys it in Texas she will pay the sales tax so she must buy it in another state and trailer it to Texas. Your right B Vette if a dealer knowingly sells a new Vette to a Canadian he will be in big do do with GM. In my case the dealer put on the warranty put it in the auction where mine importer picked it up there. The dealer had my car for 9 months and wanted badly to get rid of it this is why he put it in the auction technically it was a used car but it does not get titled till its licensed for the street. So it could go through 4 dealers and never get titled
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

FWIW, GM Canada has said it will be working hard to reduce the gap in MSRP between Canada and the US, so the spread will hopefully be less, thus reducing the need.

Regarding warranty, you have none, until you hit 12,000 kms. or 6 months, whichever comes LAST. Extended warranty doesn't work either, unless it is a 3rd party warranty, which is usually crap anyway...

And, yes, resale is lower on US cars... When you don't change the dash, it is readily identifiable as a US car because of the speedometer having a lower limit on it. And always double check equipment, US and Canada are not always identical.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Yes GM Canada dropped the list price for my car from $ 105,000 to $ 94,500 but at $ 72,200 in the USA that is still a difference of $ 22,300 and that is way too much. Even at $ 10,000 difference that's too much I did not quote the cash back as they both have that. This is going on both web sites and getting the same optioned GS that I have.

Quick Reply: Canadians: Buying in the States VS buying local. Which is better?