Sponsored by:

The movers and shakers behind the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It is so fun to read some of these posts. It seems like everyone just thinks this euro influence is so new. It isn't and it goes back to why the Corvette came to be just as surely as the Corvette is the reason why the Cobra (made directly from an AC) came to be.

European sports cars were the entire influence. NOT American...and that is why it was so special at the time, to appeal (in part) to the U.S. Forces who were now home who had been around sports cars in Europe. It needed the V8 to really take off but the two-seat sports car form is NOT American.

Believe it or not, it isn't the 1950's anymore and just selling to Americans isn't enough. GM has to be a global company and it has to have a bit more european styling to appeal to those audiences.
Exactly. That is what they are saying also. People need to understand that for these companies to survive and thrive, they have to appeal to the world, in todays global economy.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And the "original" C6 was effectively replaced by the larger more aggressive looking GS, Z06, ZR1 and the 427 Convertible.

You think the 2014 C7 will kick the Z06's or the ZR1's or the 427 Convertible's butt. It will be lucky to run even with the "old fashion" C6 GS or the "original" C6 with the Z51 option.

Maybe the new C7's aggressive exhaust will win the "sonic" race over the "original" C6. LOL
I guess you missed the statement by Tadge Juechter in the March C&D:..."The guys who've run mules at VIR are getting lap times competitive with today's Z06."
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by alanhang
Exactly. That is what they are saying also. People need to understand that for these companies to survive and thrive, they have to appeal to the world, in todays global economy.
Exactly and the all American Corvette has always been liked in Europe. There is no reason to try and look European. Besides those Porsche and Ferrari owners are not going to jump ship simply because the Corvette now has the European style.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Exactly and the all American Corvette has always been liked in Europe. There is no reason to try and look European. Besides those Porsche and Ferrari owners are not going to jump ship simply because the Corvette now has the European style.
Liked and bought are two different things. GM wants to sell more of them overseas.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
well, it is more european now. It doesnt have the wide fenders anymore that dont fit into the much more crowded europe landscape. It looks miles sleeker.
Are you aware that my wide body C6 is the same width as a skinny body C6 over the mirrors?

Are you aware that I can drive my wide body any place that you can drive a skinny body C6?

Are you aware that the C7 is wider and longer then the skinny body C6?

Are you aware that Mercedes and BMW sell cars in Europe, that are driven all over Europe?

Are you aware that a Mercedes S class and a BMW 7 series are wider then a C7 and some two and a half feet longer then a C7?

Tell me again how the "new" C7 is going to fit in places where the "old" C6 won't.

Tell me again how the "new" C7 is going to replace the Mercedes and the BMW in Europe because they are two large to fit.

Your idea of Europe is a lot different from the real Europe. Sure there are some places where a C6 won't fit, but neither will a C7.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Are you aware that my wide body C6 is the same width as a skinny body C6 over the mirrors?

Are you aware that I can drive my wide body any place that you can drive a skinny body C6?

Are you aware that the C7 is wider and longer then the skinny body C6?

Are you aware that Mercedes and BMW sell cars in Europe, that are driven all over Europe?

Are you aware that a Mercedes S class and a BMW 7 series are wider then a C7 and some two and a half feet longer then a C7?

Tell me again how the "new" C7 is going to fit in places where the "old" C6 won't.

Tell me again how the "new" C7 is going to replace the Mercedes and the BMW in Europe because they are two large to fit.

Your idea of Europe is a lot different from the real Europe. Sure there are some places where a C6 won't fit, but neither will a C7.
If the new C7 doesn't fit the new 911 won't fit, and they are driven all over the EU.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
You have to wonder what the car would have been if GM was flush with cash during its gestation period.
I'm not sure I follow this 100%. GM put a lot of resources into developing this car, and contrary to those who call everything we hear as "marketing hype", insinuate untruths or etc., I believe Tadge and the other engineers when they say the C7 is the best Corvette ever built. He even stated the C7 lap times at VIR are competitive with today's Z06.

I think GM has hit a home run, and I'm not sure what everybody expected.

Last edited by jackhall99; 02-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I'm not sure I follow this 100%. GM put a lot of resources into developing this car, and contrary to those who call everything we hear as "marketing hype", insinuate untruths or etc., I believe Tadge and the other engineers when they say the C7 is the best Corvette ever built. He even stated the C7 lap times at VIR are competitive with today's Z06.

I wonder if the C7's lap times around Arizona are as good as a C6 Z06?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Quote from Tadge on the C7 build: "We'd get started, then stopped. Started again, then stopped. As GM moved towards bankruptcy, we kept getting stopped". So I'm wondering how much money they really had after coming out of bankruptcy.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Liked and bought are two different things. GM wants to sell more of them overseas.
At about 3:36 "We wanted to make sure, that no matter what sports car you could afford, you would choose this Corvette Stingray"

They want to sell more of these, period.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Quote from Tadge on the C7 build: "We'd get started, then stopped. Started again, then stopped. As GM moved towards bankruptcy, we kept getting stopped". So I'm wondering how much money they really had after coming out of bankruptcy.
I believe what I've heard from the Corvette honchos, most recently this past Sat. morning: enough to build an awesome C7, one that I believe will knock the socks off any open-minded person who gets to drive it.

Time will tell.

Quick Reply: The movers and shakers behind the new 2014 Corvette - AUTOWEEK