I've changed my mind about the new taillights

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I've changed my mind about the new taillights

After seeing the graphic of the white C7 with round taillights here on the Forum, I'm willing to admit that . . . I WAS WRONG. The car looks MUCH BETTER with the new taillights! Strong work, GM Design Team.

Yesterday, I thought I loved my coming C7 in spite of the taillights. Now I know just I love the car and can't wait for my Museum Delivery (hopefully around Labor Day!).
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Yay!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by loyalsince72
After seeing the graphic of the white C7 with round taillights here on the Forum, I'm willing to admit that . . . I WAS WRONG. The car looks MUCH BETTER with the new taillights! Strong work, GM Design Team.
I loved the tail lights as soon as Keeks posted the cad shots. I had the opportunity to see them at the Chicago Auto Show. They are a work of art. It is very difficult to get a good photo of them.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Yesterday, I thought I loved my coming C7 in spite of the taillights. Now I know just I love the car and can't wait for my Museum Delivery (hopefully around Labor Day!).
Where are you buying your car? The dealer...must have a big allotment . I use that criteria.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like em too. Time for a change.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tail lights were never the issue other than breaking a bit of tradition.
Peeps will get over it and come to love them as the new vette design statement.

But there are other issues with the backend that need to be tweaked before actual delivery.
IMHO.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Strong work, GM Design Team.
Absolutely. They had a major design challenge on the tail end of the C7. Consider the many "jobs" this tail has to do:

- It has to look like a natural continuation of the rest of the car: tight muscle and sinew

- The arched tail light assemblies and the downward-thrusting fenders resemble the wings of a sting ray

- The black valence at the bottom of the tail makes the car visually "lighter" and isolates the license plate away from the body

- The tail lights need to be special while simultaneously signaling the aspirations of the wider Chevrolet family

- At night, the lighting signature has to have us saying, "Wow, a Corvette" - and the newest, most wicked generation of Corvette at that.

When the C7 was first revealed, I was among those who cried out, "Yikes! What happened to the signature round tail lamps?" Later, I realized that the C7 is not just the next Corvette, but a strategic pivot that both preserves and strengthens the brand.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

I think more people who were on the fence about the rear lights will have a change of heart after seeing the car in person. I think more will actually like the car and appreciate what the design team set out to do. Or over look the dislikes because so much of the rest of the car is good. The Chicago Auto show had a Audi R8 Spyder Convertible on display and it's rear lights were more like the Camaro then the C7.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...er+rear+lights

Last edited by rexracerx9; 02-10-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Tail lights were never the issue other than breaking a bit of tradition.

IMHO.
Taillights were NEVER the issue? WTF planet have you been on?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I think he is implying that there is a lot wrong with the rear that has nothing to do with the tail lights themselves. The only "issue" with the tail lights is that some see round tail lights as a signature Vette trait. However, the rear looks horrible to many people and it is not the lights themselves.

I think a lot of people are learning to "like" the rear because they really want to like the Vette and are convincing themselves that it is a good design. Some apparently genuinely liked it from the start (I can't relate, but if you do that is great for you).
Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I have yet to see them in person, but so far they haven't really grown on me. People are blowing it waaaay out of proportion though, with all the "GM HAS FAILED" , "UNBELIEVABLY GROTESQUE" , "ONLY 450hp WTF?!?!" comments lol.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kdepew
I think he is implying that there is a lot wrong with the rear that has nothing to do with the tail lights themselves. The only "issue" with the tail lights is that some see round tail lights as a signature Vette trait. However, the rear looks horrible to many people and it is not the lights themselves.

I think a lot of people are learning to "like" the rear because they really want to like the Vette and are convincing themselves that it is a good design. Some apparently genuinely liked it from the start (I can't relate, but if you do that is great for you).
Hmmmmmmm I could have sworn that somewhere, in some thread, someone once said they didn't like them because they looked like Camaro tail lights. Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
I have yet to see them in person, but so far they haven't really grown on me. People are blowing it waaaay out of proportion though, with all the "GM HAS FAILED" , "UNBELIEVABLY GROTESQUE" , "ONLY 450hp WTF?!?!" comments lol.
^^^ EXACTLY correct
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Link to the round tail light rendering?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
I think more people who were on the fence about the rear lights will have a change of heart after seeing the car in person. I think more will actually like the car and appreciate what the design team set out to do. Or over look the dislikes because so much of the rest of the car is good. The Chicago Auto show had a Audi R8 Spyder Convertible on display and it's rear lights were more like the Camaro then the C7.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...er+rear+lights
I looked at your link to the Audi photos and that is a very interesting observation. A very good point too I might add. There is definately a bit of a resemblance between the R8 and the Camaro.

Last edited by slief; 02-10-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I think the round lights are boring but I agree it's the whole rear that is the main issue not just the lights.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Damn right!!!! Happy for ya/........everyone is entitled to their own opinion but: what does the C6 have in common with the C2....etc.....change is inevitable and their are so many Non acceptable individuals that are resistant to change and like the same ol same ol

I loved the Stingray...and Im loving it more each day...

Get notified of new replies

To I've changed my mind about the new taillights

Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's really not the tail lights that made the rear end problematic. It's that black "valance" piece that separates the rear fascia. If it was one-peice and body-colored, I think it would look just fine.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They could have kept the round tail lights and still completely redesigned the rear end in a good looking way !
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
It's really not the tail lights that made the rear end problematic. It's that black "valance" piece that separates the rear fascia. If it was one-peice and body-colored, I think it would look just fine.
Initially I was in your camp and thought the same. I thought the black rear vents looked like running mascara in pictures. I don't think any of the pictures do the car justice. The pictures do not show enough detail. The vents are carbon flash and have metallic flakes which make the running mascara look a more elegant. The lines of the car are more pronounced in person.

The C7 keeps looking better and better every time I see it. I have seen it a couple of times now. I went to the media preview day the day before the show opened. I had plenty of time seeing it during the media preview day, it's just press. The model for the C7 display was there at the display. I spoke to her for a while. She was the same model who was in Detroit when GM introduced the C7 to the World. She said many-many people made the same comment as I did about how much better looking the C7 is in person. She said the C7 was by far the most popular car at the show. I went the next day for a private preview of the C7 and I found myself liking the C7 even more.

I am sure the aftermarket or GM will offer some body painted vents and parts also.

Quick Reply: I've changed my mind about the new taillights