Sponsored by:

C7 zr1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shaimerej
I am very selfish. I am hoping that the current ZR1 doesn't have a real successor for some time to come.

I love my ZR1 but it would be awesome to have that same power in a C7.. if and when they do it I'll have one untile then I'll stick with the ZR1.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
If they use a similar process as Wixom, the LT1 as we know it will be tooooo costly .... The BG site doesn't have the capability or logistics to build the full production expectations of the C7.

GM only leased the Wixom building and can move the equipment without a lot of investment. ...... I project the announcement of a higher performance version within a year for the MY 2015 with only those and future high-po engines from there. :-)
Is the WIXOM plant the former Ford-Lincoln factory?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, the LS7 stays in production for the Camaro. L88 might be an updated 427, with LT1 features such as cylinder deactivation, and redesigned heads, to make 575 HP, or even 600 HP, NA, and get better mileage. If GM keeps the ZO6 label and produces it in both coupe and convertible versions, it should be a winner.

I might even trade my gorgeous C-5 for such a beast.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
I never said he did, you said that. I said Harlan indicated to me, and many others, that there were currently no plans for a higher performance engine than the weezy LT1. And the GM announcement about moving Wixom's responsibilities said this:

"With the Performance Build Center relocating to Bowling Green, there is the opportunity for the National Corvette Museum to become involved with the Engine Build Experience and further expand the offerings of the Museum Delivery Program."

But you said NCM would not be involved in the engine building? And if they aren't building the only engine they have, the LT1, what will they be building, rat motors? Who are you working for and where do you get your info from?
No, you need to read and understand. The NCM experience is an observation experience. Not manufacturing. When you participate in receiving your new Corvette thru the NCM, you also get a plant tour and the opportunity to view your car on line being built before delivery.

Hope that's clear enough. The NCM doesn't build anything. They only provide the ability to see the actual assembly line. Also Wixom had, for a fee, the ability for you to participate in the engine build. What Harlan may be alluding to, is the NCM offering a way to observe the engine build process.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
HHughes1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
There's little doubt that there will be a higher performance model of the C7 out in a year or two. But to think that Team Corvette has Viper in their sights is just plain incorrect. They really don't care what Viper does, how they do it, etc.

Corvette's aimed squarely at Porsche. Not Viper.

jas
The Viper market share is so small that it's financially insignificant. Porsche on the otherhand is the prime target for two reasons, large market segment that GM would love to exploit and international credibility that has never been given the Corvette despite it's proven performance capabilties.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
There's little doubt that there will be a higher performance model of the C7 out in a year or two. But to think that Team Corvette has Viper in their sights is just plain incorrect. They really don't care what Viper does, how they do it, etc.

Corvette's aimed squarely at Porsche. Not Viper.

jas
That's absolute foolishness. Corvette certainly used Porsche as a benchmark standard in order to target their customer base, which is fairly large...but SO did Viper. Inevitably, that puts Viper and Corvette in the exact same category....a fact that is clearly obvious. Not to mention, the car magazines and media outlets recognize a clear rivalry between Corvette and Viper...so Corvette is going to sit on its hands for years while Viper and Porsche spanks its ***...negative. The Z51 car is nice, but it's not going to hang with the Viper or performance variant Porsche.

The performance variants as more as HALO's, while the Stingray/vert/Z51 are the core sales numbers. The ZR1 came in late in C6 merely because ZR1 was gone since 95. Now that ZR1 has been out...you just can't stop for 8 years of production when the car is defending its position against other cars in the market place. It'd be foolishness to halt the ZR1 for 8 years...lol.

Perception is everything. If comparisons of the Viper to the Corvette, for the next 8 years, like the other guy stated, is that of Viper spanking Corvettes *** on the street...then Corvette isn't going to do too well.

Not to mention, the new Cafe standards go in effect in 7 years...that could likely mark the end of high performance models versus mark the beginning.

Z06 will be 2015 model...ZR1 will be close behind....

Last edited by RC000E; 02-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
bigdog1250
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
That's absolute foolishness. Corvette certainly used Porsche as a benchmark standard in order to target their customer base, which is fairly large...but SO did Viper. Inevitably, that puts Viper and Corvette in the exact same category....a fact that is clearly obvious. Not to mention, the car magazines and media outlets recognize a clear rivalry between Corvette and Viper...so Corvette is going to sit on its hands for years while Viper and Porsche spanks its ***...negative. The Z51 car is nice, but it's not going to hang with the Viper or performance variant Porsche.

The performance variants as more as HALO's, while the Stingray/vert/Z51 are the core sales numbers. The ZR1 came in late in C6 merely because ZR1 was gone since 95. Now that ZR1 has been out...you just can't stop for 8 years of production when the car is defending its position against other cars in the market place. It'd be foolishness to halt the ZR1 for 8 years...lol.

Perception is everything. If comparisons of the Viper to the Corvette, for the next 8 years, like the other guy stated, is that of Viper spanking Corvettes *** on the street...then Corvette isn't going to do too well.

Not to mention, the new Cafe standards go in effect in 7 years...that could likely mark the end of high performance models versus mark the beginning.

I agree.

It's funny though that the outgoing Z06 can still hang with the new Viper. That car is a monster and definitely be considered when shopping for a new C7 since they can be had from low 40s to mid 50s. The only thing the C7 really has going for it over the Z06 is that kickass interior!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

That's absolute foolishness. Corvette certainly used Porsche as a benchmark standard in order to target their customer base, which is fairly large...but SO did Viper. Inevitably, that puts Viper and Corvette in the exact same category.
Reading is fundamental. Reading comprehension is more so. I never said that the Corvette and the Viper aren't after the same market. I very clearly said: Team Corvette doesn't care what the Viper guys are doing, and don't alter their plans based on what the folks at SRT do.

They. Don't. Care.

That doesn't mean consumers don't care. Some do, some don't. Team Corvette doesn't.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to make this any more simple for you.

jas
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Trefin
Advanced

I'm 90% sure, just going off of the history, that they will release an
LT4 model to replace the z06 here in about 2 years and then a zr1 model will arise. That seems to be the obvious answer.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Trefin
Advanced

There won't be another Z06, it will be LT4.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The Z06 will be here sooner than later and hopefully the ZR1 will follow.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Reading is fundamental. Reading comprehension is more so. I never said that the Corvette and the Viper aren't after the same market. I very clearly said: Team Corvette doesn't care what the Viper guys are doing, and don't alter their plans based on what the folks at SRT do.

They. Don't. Care.

That doesn't mean consumers don't care. Some do, some don't. Team Corvette doesn't.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to make this any more simple for you.

jas
Your nuts if you believe that!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

No high performance model...yeah ok. In an age when ford is producing 600hp+ Mustangs, Chevy better produce a higher performance model.

Since the C5, I've never been a fan of the "base" vette. If the C7Z does not correct what I don't like about the C7 base car (and I don't think it will), I will pass on the C7 generation with no problem.

I think there comes a time in every corvette enthusiasts lives when they feel Chevy may be targeting a demographic outside their own. While I am only 33, I think the C7 is too GT-Rish even for me (I am a bit old school for my age). I've come to the point where I now know what corvettes I will have in my garage someday. I fear that the days of me looking forward to the next generation of corvette, with the belief that it will be better looking than the previous generation, has already past. I fear that from the C7 generation forward, the corvette (looks wise) will not be geared/targeted to impress me. Government regulations won't help either.

Still hoping that the C7 Z will change my outlook but I am not confident at all.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-15-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trefin
There won't be another Z06, it will be LT4.
Why not LT5? no DOHC...i thought at one time GM had a new family of DOHC engines in development.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

whatever they build, it better be faster than the C6 ZR-1
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
The Z06 will be here sooner than later and hopefully the ZR1 will follow.
I seriously think they are going to leave both designations of zo6 and zr1 back with the c6. I dont think they are going to bring them forward to the c7. They are looking for a break from the previous model, I bet. But of course its all just speculation at this point.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

ok so what is going to be like?

Supercharger, window on hood, flared fenders, ceramic brakes, etc?

Photoshop anyone?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I dunno,Corvettes sold pretty well from 1996-2005 (10 model years)when they didn't have a car that would touch a Viper.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Timpo
whatever they build, it better be faster than the C6 ZR-1
Mythical car^^

Quick Reply: C7 zr1?