Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 and C6 issue

Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death in a million other threads already? It's being posted in the C7 section so naturally most people here are going to say the C6 looks dated. Post the same topic in the C6 section and most there will say it still looks a lot better than the C7.

Personally, I don't own a C6 so I have no horse in this race, but I don't think the Z06/ZR1/GS widebody versions look dated at all. I've never been a big fan of the base car so I'm not going to say it still looks great, but I honestly think the widebody C6 is a better looking design than what I've seen of the C7 so far and it's mainly due to the horrendous rear end.
I bought an 06 coupe new and made the mistake of taking a look at a ZO6 a year later. The first thing that came to mind was how "dated" my coupe had suddenly become.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
it looks dated beside the new car, and when the new ones come out, it will prbably fall further in value. But over the years its value will come back up to a certain extent. But im thinking that the true collectible will be the zr1. It was vastly superior to the zo6. But I think for the short term even the zr1 will drop further in value to its present asking prices.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but while the ZR1 is a hell of a car I think it is not "vastly" superior to the Z06, and I have driven both back to back (and of course I owned a Z06 for over three years). But you do make very good points about what the values are likely to do.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't believe for one second that the C7 forum is unbiased. I would say the majority of people posting here are doing so because they like the C7 and/or will be buying one. Those individuals are completely biased in favor of the C7 and therefore your conclusion is far from correct.
*yawn* the C7 forum contains people who were anticipating upgrading to a C6 or deciding to buy a C7 (and were therefore unbiased), includes some haters (biased against C7), includes some people who will likely never buy a Corvette of any generation (still unbiased), and like you said some who like the C7 and want to buy one (so a few are biased)

However the C6 forum has virtually ALL owners as C6 owners, and therefore the bias is much stronger there.

So again, C6 forum is more biased and your "point" doesn't stand Nice try though lol.

Last edited by Achmed; 02-08-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by NW94Z
You said the C6 looks dated (old) but that it doesn't look "old" just not great. I'm confused. Does the C6 just not look good anymore because a car (a relatively static object) can go from looking good to bad as it ages? Or did it never really look good and the C7 makes that clear now?
I called the C6 three things only:

1) "Starting to look dated"
2) "Does not look old"
3) "Not that great anymore"

Dated does not equal old, and especially "starting to look dated" as that's just the initial phase of being dated. Everything that is old is dated, but not everything that is dated is old. I also did not say that the C6 "does not look good" just that it does not look "that great."

Last edited by Achmed; 02-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
The C7 makes the C6 look dated, just as much as the C6 made the C5 look dated.

This should not be a shock to anyone. If the new generation did not make the last generation look dated, then GM would be in big trouble.
Actually I never thought the C6 made the C5 look dated. C6 looks a bit better than the C5, but not by enough to make the C5 dated.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
*yawn* the C7 forum contains people who were anticipating upgrading to a C6 or deciding to buy a C7 (and were therefore unbiased), includes some haters (biased against C7), includes some people who will likely never buy a Corvette of any generation (still unbiased), and like you said some who like the C7 and want to buy one (so a few are biased)

However the C6 forum has virtually ALL owners as C6 owners, and therefore the bias is much stronger there.

So again, C6 forum is more biased and your "point" doesn't stand Nice try though lol.
Believe what you want, but I still think you're wrong and the bias here is just as strong as it is in C6 Gen. All you have to do is read the posts and it's clear as day. I'm done arguing with you about it now.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Believe what you want, but I still think you're wrong and the bias here is just as strong as it is in C6 Gen. All you have to do is read the posts and it's clear as day. I'm done arguing with you about it now.
LOL I was just kidding around bud, wasn't meant to appear like an argument.

I'm still right though

One more thing - yes people on the C7 forum like the C7 better than those on the C6 forum, but that does not make them more biased if you know what I mean. For example, I am unbiased in that prior to the C7 reveal I did not think it would look much better or any better than the C6, and was open to liking the C6 better, but once it was revealed it was easy to make the decision as to which is better.

Last edited by Achmed; 02-08-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

C6 = different looking than C7, not dated.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
C6 = different looking than C7, not dated.

Until (if) the wide body version of the C7 comes out I still think the Grand Sport/Z06/ZR1 is the more all around aggressive looking car.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

The Ford GT looks dated too. Oh, and fabulous as well.

It will be a long time before I look at my ZR1 and find it unattractive, not to mention it being an absolute hoot to drive.

Don't know how many times I've come within an inch of pulling the trigger on a resto-mod C2 with a modern SRIII suspension and 600-ish hp LS driveline (and still may do so). "Dated" car. And smoking hot.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C7 instantly made the C6 look dated. The C6 is still a good looking car, but even the wide body's don't compare to the lines and shape of the base C7.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Rapnrev
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Had a C5 loved it, saw the C6 loved it more, sold the C5 ordered the C6(Base Coupe) in 2006. Seen the C7 love it, my C6 is paid for so I love it even more. The bottom line is they are all Corvettes the Icon of American Sports Cars.
Save the WAVE and keep it pushing! I will pull my C6 next to a C7 when they hit the road and still be a proud Vette owner! My goal is to buy a C7 in about 5 years and keep my C6 as a daily driver.
5 years from now all the bugs should be out plus any cosmetic changes will have been made and and it will be the toast of the town.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 AM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still don't think the c6 grand sport looks dated at all . Different yet still gorgeous and still fresh looking.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

The difference is, posters on the C6 forum own a C6. Posters on the C7 forum do not own a C7 since it's not yet for sale. Therefore, the C7 forum is not biased like the C6 forum. And since the majority of posters on the unbiased form agree the C6 is looking at least a bit dated - conclusion is that I am correct
Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I'd say you are wrong becasue I would still buy a C6 ZO7 or ZR1 over the base C7. My preference will probably change when the C7 Z is introduced.

Both the C6 and C7 sections are biased. If you don't think there is some serious C7 fanboys in this section, you are lying to yourself.

Having said this, I have spent some time on another forum geared toward european cars and the C7 is being talked about very VERY favorably. If you want more unbiased answers, you should visit other (non-corvette specific) forums.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-09-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
I agree with a lot of what you say, but while the ZR1 is a hell of a car I think it is not "vastly" superior to the Z06, and I have driven both back to back (and of course I owned a Z06 for over three years). But you do make very good points about what the values are likely to do.
Im a big fan of the magnetic ride suspension. I think it transforms the car.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I agree, the ZR1 is not vastly superior on a track than say a newer ZO7 model ZO6, some say the ZO6 even sounds better (and I agree). However, the ZR1, separates itself as the better car, IMO, as a daily driver. Seems smoother and more forgiving on the street

ZO6: Street legal race car
ZR1: Street legal race car and GT Cruiser
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see if any of the 2-star members who joined in the last 12 months (and post all of the C6 smack - like yourself) EVER buy a Corvette.

Also, the Mods shut down C7 threads with any negativity, yet allow every thread bashing the C6.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 and C6 issue

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM
deecount
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find this talked of "dated" Corvettes a little strange.

When I see my neighbor's 97 convertible I think "that's a nice C5".
When I see my friends 67 convertible I think "that's a nice C2".
When I saw the first look video of the C7 on Jay Leno's Garage I though "that's an awesome looking C7".

When did Corvettes fall into the category of being dated?

I thought that sort of thing was reserved for the Dodge Steath/Mitsubishi 3000's and the Honda Accord/Toyota Camry.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I agree, the ZR1 is not vastly superior on a track than say a newer ZO7 model ZO6, some say the ZO6 even sounds better (and I agree). However, the ZR1, separates itself as the better car, IMO, as a daily driver. Seems smoother and more forgiving on the street

ZO6: Street legal race car
ZR1: Street legal race car and GT Cruiser
yes, I found Clarksons comments interesting when he tested both cars. I know some people like to bash him but I find him informative. He seemed to like the zr1 quite a bit more than the zo6. I think your description of the two cars is valid.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by deecount
I find this talked of "dated" Corvettes a little strange.

When I see my neighbor's 97 convertible I think "that's a nice C5".
When I see my friends 67 convertible I think "that's a nice C2".
When I saw the first look video of the C7 on Jay Leno's Garage I though "that's an awesome looking C7".

When did Corvettes fall into the category of being dated?

I thought that sort of thing was reserved for the Dodge Steath/Mitsubishi 3000's and the Honda Accord/Toyota Camry.
very very good point. I think you are right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 and C6 issue