C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World Class? we will see when we get to drive it not worried about the style !

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default World Class? we will see when we get to drive it not worried about the style !

I really like the C7 and plan on a Z51 2/3LT with magnetic ride

I cannot tell you I like the car until I get seat time in it ! Period the differences from the C-6 I want to see. The C-6 was good but
we needed improvement

I really want to drive a car before I buy it. On a track preferably

In comparison to the C-6 I want a car that:

1. Has better steering that can handle transitions from rough to smooth pavement without the flex of the steering that the C-6 had. The C-6 was nervous and very tricky to drive on a track or on the back roads here in Europe compared to the M-3 or 997 or 991 Porsche ( 991 being far better) I have also done the day at the circuit with the new Cayman which is an incredibly balanced car that is almost impossible to screw up

2. I want a seat/interior ergonomic set up that will be equal to either BMW or Porsche or MB. ( Or Cadillac )

3. I want a Car that besides brute power has the feel of the road that makes a sports car fun to drive fast. I want to see the twisty road on the way home and have a car that is a precision tool in and out of the corners. That is equally at home in sharp twisties as well as at 140 on the Autobahn.

Now I have put money down because I like what GM is doing I like the style, but more importantly than style and gadgets is performance My daily drives include a 98 Porsche Carrera C2s with euro suspension and sways, and a 2008 BMW Z4 from the last of non turbo M s. I also have early 911s and 356s that have been on the track.

Both cars at home at high speed and put a grin on your face when your are going around corners.

I am really do not care if If the tail lights are round, if the looks are like a Ferrari and if has the right amount of lines or two many angles, leave that to the Engineers not the styling guys. I would like a limited slip that works and ductwork and exhaust that helps the car

I wan't a reasonably docile ride for everyday driving and not a bunch of creaks and wind noise at speed.

I want good visibility. I want a fun experience and a sound that If I am not listening to music is like a symphony

I do not car about the 0-60 times or 1/4 if they are not the fastest in the segment, it would be nice I don't want a clutch/transmission that requires extra hard work to operate I want a shifter that feels like Butter when its moving and engages securely every time with a minimum of effort.

I want steering that is precise but not harsh,

I like a nice feeling interior, the C-6 is weak there, not a secret

I don't care if the dash color doesn't come all the way to the glass or not.

I want a car that feels one with the road and puts a grin on my face so
after I have driven it hard I am not exhausted. I want a car that I can cruise to a nice dinner in the country with my wife, and be comfortable at normal speeds, not a beast that requires so much effort I will not drive it

I am not posing or impressing by owning the car I don't give a rats tush if someone thinks its the best looking thing
since Marilyn Monroe, or whoever is the C7 that car ? I put money on it, But I want to drive it first then I will know will you?*
Lets us hope GM made it happen

( how much drivers training do you have besides your drivers license)

Regards from Germany

Last edited by Gmumd48; 02-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Sounds like you need a 991...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notch
Sounds like you need a 991...
appears to be a VW lover...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
StuttgartRS
Heel & Toe

You need a Porsche GT3.
Lets hope the new C7 is close.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HollywoodC7
The 991 is not built by VW.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StuttgartRS
You need a Porsche GT3.
Not if he was serious about this..."I wan't a reasonably docile ride for everyday driving"
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

These are confusing posts
Ok I am rooting for GM and I will be driving A C7 early on a track and decide. I mean't to
be a supporter of the C-7 I know a few people who are good drivers who have driven in the
prototypes and were impressed enough to say to buy one ( these guys have driven everything) I Thought this was a Corvette board I own quite a few Porsches and have watched the development of the Corvette into a car that corners and I am rooting
for GM

I liked the 991 but it is way too expensive for what you get, and has become a bit bulky compared to earlier Porsches. The GT3 will be along soon and it will be interesting.

Yes it is a VW and its likely proud of its roots, Ferdinand Porsche built the first Beetles in his garage and the First Porsches were powered by VW ( so are some of the later ones)

I don't know exactly the percentages but VW now owns controlling interest of Porsche if you look at it correctly.

His nephew was chairman of VW and is one of the most powerful people in the automotive industry he was in charge of the race dept and the 917-30

I have owned the 07 GT3 and it really was reasonably docile for daily duty. Handled quite well and wife did not complain, It wasn't hard to drive slow

Last edited by Gmumd48; 02-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by HollywoodC7
More new Porsche sports cars sold in America last year then new Corvettes. Must be a bunch of VW lovers with fat wallets lurking around.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gmumd48
Yes it is a VW and its likely proud of its roots, Ferdinand Porsche built the first Beetles in his garage and the First Porsches were powered by VW ( so are some of the later ones)....
The 991 is not a "VW". Ferdinand Porsche designed the VW Bug, but it was built by VW, not the Porsche factory.

The 911 was not designed based on the VW Bug, it was designed as a replacement of the 356.

If one considers the 991 a "VW" based on the fact that Porsche is a subsitiary of VW, then they must also consider Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Škoda and Ducati as "VWs".
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default Incorrect

Originally Posted by JoesC5
More new Porsche sports cars sold in America last year then new Corvettes. Must be a bunch of VW lovers with fat wallets lurking around.
Porsche sold approximately 12,000 911s Boxsters and Caymans in the US
roughly 8000 were 911s
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Assume you mean Cayman + Boxster + 911 variants.

I was not aware of that. Given the price/performance advantages of the C6, that says a lot about what sports car buyers are looking for. The C7 has a big task in front of it, but early reports suggest they've checked the right boxes.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Assume you mean Cayman + Boxster + 911 variants.

I was not aware of that. Given the price/performance advantages of the C6, that says a lot about what sports car buyers are looking for. The C7 has a big task in front of it, but early reports suggest they've checked the right boxes.
January 2013, GM sold 908 Corvettes, world wide.

January 2013, Porsche sold 393 Boxster/Cayman, and 877 911's for a total of 1270 in North America.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
eurotrashkicker
Racer

You'll get nothing and like it!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

Default You really do not have a clue do you

F Porsche designed the Beetle which was called the Volkswagen
after competing against his former employer Mercedes, and Auto Union
now Audi, and won the contract It's offices were in Zuffenhausen, Germany where Porsche 356s were built after the original production in Gmund Austria in 1948 I have photos showing Ferry Porsche ( Ferdinands son testing the design in the fields there)

Ferdinand Butzi Porsche ( Rest his sole ) used the same boxter style engine a horizontally opposed 6 Cylinder similar in design to the beetle and 356 engine in the 911 ( own a 67 and 68 Targa) Porsche engines have remained horizontally opposed in their top sports cars to this day and the 911 engine design was air cooled until the end of 1998 my C2S is one of the last 500 of those built

Porsche lost in a takeover attempt of VW and are now majority controlled by the VW group who builds each of the brands you mentioned. All of the groups share more than one supplier and technology across platforms. All those brands you mentioned and then some (would you like to see the VW parts that interchange with a Bugatti Veyron? or the Audi and Lambo parts that are the same ?

Audi and Porsche have shared endurance Drivers for years. Porsche even before the "merge" built an Audi in their factory and even a Mercedes

Now the Cayenne SUV shares 80 plus percent of its parts with the Volkswagen Toureg ! not to mention the VW Porsche 914 the Audi Porsche 924,

It seems like you are a notch below correct if you would like to fly over I will get you a tour of the factory, even some behind the scenes and more and a copy of a book I collaborated on. there is a reason I have driven the new Cayman and still put a deposit down with a major forum vendor #3 I think. I like where Chevy is headed with the Corvette

Now The Corvette is what this about

NOW CAN WE GET BACK TO CORVETTE, C7

The 991 is not a "VW". Ferdinand Porsche designed the VW Bug, but it was built by VW, not the Porsche factory.

The 911 was not designed based on the VW Bug, it was designed as a replacement of the 356.

If one considers the 991 a "VW" based on the fact that Porsche is a subsitiary of VW, then they must also consider Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Škoda and Ducati as "VWs".

Last edited by Gmumd48; 02-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Gmumd48
Racer

January 2013, GM sold 908 Corvettes, world wide.

January 2013, Porsche sold 393 Boxster/Cayman, and 877 911's for a total of 1270 in North America.
Check year over year Please !!! the 911 is a new design 991 and the
C6 is 8 or 9 years old from design
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

The 991 is not a "VW".
Of course it is.

Get notified of new replies

To World Class? we will see when we get to drive it not worried about the style !

Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

I cannot tell you I like the car until I get seat time in it ! Period the differences from the C-6 I want to see. The C-6 was good but
we needed improvement

I really want to drive a car before I buy it. On a track preferably

In comparison to the C-6 I want a car that:

1. Has better steering that can handle transitions from rough to smooth pavement without the flex of the steering that the C-6 had. The C-6 was nervous and very tricky to drive on a track or on the back roads here in Europe compared to the M-3 or 997 or 991 Porsche ( 991 being far better) I have also done the day at the circuit with the new Cayman which is an incredibly balanced car that is almost impossible to screw up

2. I want a seat/interior ergonomic set up that will be equal to either BMW or Porsche or MB. ( Or Cadillac )

3. I want a Car that besides brute power has the feel of the road that makes a sports car fun to drive fast. I want to see the twisty road on the way home and have a car that is a precision tool in and out of the corners. That is equally at home in sharp twisties as well as at 140 on the Autobahn.

Now I have put money down because I like what GM is doing I like the style, but more importantly than style and gadgets is performance My daily drives include a 98 Porsche Carrera C2s with euro suspension and sways, and a 2008 BMW Z4 from the last of non turbo M s. I also have early 911s and 356s that have been on the track.

Both cars at home at high speed and put a grin on your face when your are going around corners.

I am really do not care if If the tail lights are round, if the looks are like a Ferrari and if has the right amount of lines or two many angles, leave that to the Engineers not the styling guys. I would like a limited slip that works and ductwork and exhaust that helps the car

I wan't a reasonably docile ride for everyday driving and not a bunch of creaks and wind noise at speed.

I want good visibility. I want a fun experience and a sound that If I am not listening to music is like a symphony

I do not car about the 0-60 times or 1/4 if they are not the fastest in the segment, it would be nice I don't want a clutch/transmission that requires extra hard work to operate I want a shifter that feels like Butter when its moving and engages securely every time with a minimum of effort.

I want steering that is precise but not harsh,

I like a nice feeling interior, the C-6 is weak there, not a secret

I don't care if the dash color doesn't come all the way to the glass or not.

I want a car that feels one with the road and puts a grin on my face so
after I have driven it hard I am not exhausted. I want a car that I can cruise to a nice dinner in the country with my wife, and be comfortable at normal speeds, not a beast that requires so much effort I will not drive it

I am not posing or impressing by owning the car I don't give a rats tush if someone thinks its the best looking thing
since Marilyn Monroe, or whoever is the C7 that car ? I put money on it, But I want to drive it first then I will know will you?*
Lets us hope GM made it happen

( how much drivers training do you have besides your drivers license)

Regards from Germany
I think your comments are great and right on. the magnetic ride control fo smoothness, the new tires for grip, hopefully the have finally done most of the right things. Every past vette that I had over the years was ultimately diaapointing in one or two areas. some more than two. I want this car to be a huge winner in all areas
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Ike Witt
Advanced

Default Porsche and Design

Ok...since the post contains both Porsche and design...you will no doubt want one of these
http://www.cseed.tv/design/movie.html
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Notch
Safety Car

It seems like you are a notch below correct if you would like to fly over I will get you a tour of the factory, even some behind the scenes and more and a copy of a book I collaborated on.
The 991 is not a VW, it is a Porsche; designed by Porsche and built in Stuttgart at the Porsche factory. The front hood emblem is the Porsche crest, not the VW symbol. It is no more a VW than any of the cars built under the brands listed.

Butzi also designed the Porsche 904. Does that make the 904 a "VW"?

BTW, I fly to Germany at least four times a month. You aren't the only one with Porsche connections...

Quick Reply: World Class? we will see when we get to drive it not worried about the style !