C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone notice this about the c7 or am I blind?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
damn, is there ANYTHING that doesn't cause a pissing match on the C7 forum....

Wanna see old men bitch and moan and act like old women, just visit the C7 forum. it;s getting old.
Maybe, just maybe, some Corvette owner(or soon to be) learned something today about child restraint laws and how they might pertain to them carrying around a young child in a Corvette.

Knowledge is awesome and it appears many on this forum are lacking in it. Old and young.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I guess you've never had a manual e-brake cable break or fail on you...
That is what I was thinking. I trust the electronic one way more than a mechanical one. Wonder how quick it releases. Use it like a transbrake on the auto.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd prefer a manual ebrake myself.

Electrical malfunctions are more likely to happen than a cable not working properly.

EDIT: Just read the other thread..so deleted some of my comments.

Last edited by jbomx363; 02-06-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI
No, not saying they can't ride in front. Just saying they're required to be in a booster seat. For your state, the law is as follows:

Missouri's Child Restraint Law
(RSMo 307.182)

• Children less than 4 years old or less than 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat.

• Children ages 4 through 7 who weigh at least 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat or booster seat unless they are 80 pounds or 4'9" tall.

• Children 8 and over or weighing at least 80 pounds or at least 4’9” tall are required to be secured by a safety belt or buckled into an appropriate booster seat.

Back on topic, I hope 81pilot is correct. The redundancies built into modern braking systems make using a handbrake for an "emergency" obsolete. It is now more correctly called a "parking" brake.
Bazinga!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

No, not saying they can't ride in front. Just saying they're required to be in a booster seat. For your state, the law is as follows:

Missouri's Child Restraint Law
(RSMo 307.182)

• Children less than 4 years old or less than 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat.

• Children ages 4 through 7 who weigh at least 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat or booster seat unless they are 80 pounds or 4'9" tall.

• Children 8 and over or weighing at least 80 pounds or at least 4’9” tall are required to be secured by a safety belt or buckled into an appropriate booster seat.

Back on topic, I hope 81pilot is correct. The redundancies built into modern braking systems make using a handbrake for an "emergency" obsolete. It is now more correctly called a "parking" brake.
I was referring to laws that said young kids could not ride in the front seat, not the use of booster seats. Read my post #37regarding the use of booster seats and the placement of a candy bar on the console. Think that the booster seat is going to keep that little girl from reaching the P-Brake button? If anything, the raised height of her body will make it easier to reach the button(or candy).

The time I had a brake failure on my 69 Vette was when the clevis pin in the brake pedal fell out. The brake pedal was no longer connected to the master cylinder. There is no redundancy for that malfunction.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

This sounds a lot like folks who didn't want to fasten seatbelts years ago because they thought it would be better to get thrown clear of the wreckage.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie M
That is what I was thinking. I trust the electronic one way more than a mechanical one. Wonder how quick it releases. Use it like a transbrake on the auto.
I have no idea how it works. I haven't seen any writeups about them.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jbomx363
I'd prefer a manual ebrake myself.

Electrical malfunctions are more likely to happen than a cable not working properly.

Plus.. at speed...you can lightly engage the manual brake where you don't send passengers through the windshield or you can yank it up for those "O sh." times.

And for it to "do nothing" at speed? I just don't get that. I hope folks are wrong on that one.
Why on earth would you lightly engage the manual brake at speed where you don't send passengers through the windshield? What the hell is the point of doing that if you are not going to smash their faces anyway? You might as well just use your foot?

In all seriousness, the only people who should be worried about not having a manual brake would be drifters and people who think its cool to use their ebrake to do stupid things! If you are a drifter who uses the ebrake, then you might consider a set of steering brakes or a mod to add a manual brake or a different car. Other than that, manual brakes are becoming a thing of the past. They are being eliminated on one car after another. Also, the manual parking brake on the C6 certainly isn't all the great to begin with and if you don't wrench it up all the way, the car will roll on even a slight incline. An automatic hydraulic parking brake will certainly serve its purpose when used for parking better than the manual one in a C6.

For those that are worrying about using the ebrake in the event of an "emergency", please enlighten me on when the last reported complete brake failure was on a Corvette? I've been on this forum for a long time and I can't remember a single one.

As for doing nothing at speed, I am sure it will in fact serve its purpose as an emergency brake but it might be a little more complex than just pulling the button up at speed. Perhaps it will only work if accompanied by a press of the brake pedal.

And for the poster who brought up the 4 year old, what happens if he pulls on the manual brake lever when you are looking? I know that's a stretch but he could just as easily push the unlock button and then hit the door open button too. Just saying.. I think some people make a mountain out of mole hill.

I need to get in the cheese business! With all the whining that goes on here, I could making a fortune selling cheese!

Last edited by slief; 02-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What happens when you're cruising down the highway at 75 MPH and your 4 year old grandson has his hand resting on the center console and pulls up the E-brake button?
From my experience with E-Brake buttons, on a few personally owned vehicles from different manufactures, it can't be engaged while the car is in gear or rolling. Also once you put the car in gear it disengages.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

What happens when you're cruising down the highway at 75 MPH and your 4 year old grandson has his hand resting on the center console and pulls up the E-brake button?
You let your 4 year old grandchild sit in the passenger seat of your Vette?
In a head-on crash the most common and deadly type of collision, a child in the front seat can be thrown into your car's dashboard or through the windshield.
Use some common sense, for your grandchilds sake and don't put them in that seat.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

I was referring to laws that said young kids could not ride in the front seat, not the use of booster seats. Read my post #37regarding the use of booster seats and the placement of a candy bar on the console.
Your first post:
Is there a law against 4 year old kids in a Corvette(in the passenger seat) if they are buckled in? Isn't the air bag automatically turned off if a light weight kid is in the passenger seat?

Kid sitting in the passenger seat can rest his left arm on the center console, thus can reach the P-Brake button located on the center console.
My reply:
In most states, YES - a child of that age has to be in some kind of booster seat. That would make it pretty difficult to reach the console (I would hope).
Your response:
I live in Missouri which has no such law,as do the majority of the other 49 states.
You can see how I was confused by your response. Your Post #37 statement referencing a child seat came after the other exchange.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
3 vettes
Pro

you guys are too much,the car is awesome,taillights and all.stop hating and start wishing you had one.and as far as the parking brake.........ive had 8 corvettes from c3 to c6 and the parking brake sucked on all of them,they wouldnt stop the car at 10 mph nevermind 75
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

That shift boot looks like it could almost be real leather!!Imagine that...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
3 vettes
Pro

if it looks like leather its leather,if it looks like aluminum it is,if it looks like carbon fiber it is.read about it!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Durran Ranney
Navigator

Default 4 yr old

this has gone too far,i suggest a straight jacket for the 4 year old.problem solved
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

He gets his *** beat?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALMS21
He gets his *** beat?
Funny but that was my same thought when I read that comment!

Get notified of new replies

To Did anyone notice this about the c7 or am I blind?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ALMS21
He gets his *** beat?
by the 18 wheeler that was riding your bumper when the kid wanted to see what happened when he played with the button.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Seems that locating the button on the dashboard to the left of the steering column would be better.
Excellent logic.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

This thread should've been two posts max. In the cars that I've seen with electronic they only work once the car stops so alot of you are arguing over nothing. You won't be able to actuate this thing while driving. Another c7 pissing match I guess.

Quick Reply: Did anyone notice this about the c7 or am I blind?