Sponsored by:

CAGS Eliminator for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Unless they change the way they do it, all you need to defeat the CAGS is a blown smart fuse. I replaced my CAGS fuse with a blown smart fuse over 20K miles ago with no issues.
Great idea!

Michael
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
1st has anyone actually tried with a second solenoid, or removing and letting the solenoid hang? Perhaps the computer does not see a current/voltage spike of a solenoid engaging.

2nd How does the computer know the car did not skip shift or not once the solenoid is defeated?
One way would be that when the CAGS was called for, and you shifted from 1st to 4th, the computer could then compare the car's speed to the engine RPM when you released the clutch pedal.

If you put a resistor in place of the solenoid, and shifted into 2nd gear instead of fourth then the engine RPM would be higher then if in fourth gear and the computer would recognize that as a problem. To make sure the problem is actually a problem, the computer doesn't throw a code until after seeing 6 cycles of the same problem.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
One way would be that when the CAGS was called for, and you shifted from 1st to 4th, the computer could then compare the car's speed to the engine RPM when you released the clutch pedal.

If you put a resistor in place of the solenoid, and shifted into 2nd gear instead of fourth then the engine RPM would be higher then if in fourth gear and the computer would recognize that as a problem. To make sure the problem is actually a problem, the computer doesn't throw a code until after seeing 6 cycles of the same problem.
I now understand the concerns regarding CAGS for C7. Prior to C7, GM hasn't implemented programming to verify that CAGS was successful in blocking 2nd & 3rd gears when commanded. GM could possibly do it with C7. Hopefully not but it will all come down to whether or not they feel pressure from the Feds.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 PM
bob67327
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 Eliminator Available Yet?

Does any reputable vendor yet offer a skip-shift eliminator for the C7 (i.e., a device to defeat the C7's CAGS system)?

In part because the operating window for the skip-shift is narrow I do not encounter it frequently. However, it's always a big surprise when I do, and quite annoying!

My understanding is the the CAGS requires the first-to-second shift to be attempted while the vehicle speed is 15 - 19 MPH, the throttle is 21% or less open, and the coolant temperature is at least 170 degrees. So one doesn't experience it very often.

Paul Morris, Internet Sales Manager at West Coast Corvette emailed me in response to my inquiry, writing "The cags will not work on the C7". This statement is confusing, but he must have meant that their defeat device won't work on the C7.

I have not yet communicated with any other vendors. Has anyone else? I'd like to buy a professionally designed and manufactured CAGS defeat device for the C7. Of course, as some have noted, perhaps the system has changed and it's no longer possible for a simple device to defeat the CAGS, at least without creating other potential problems.

Does anyone yet know for sure?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bob67327
Does any reputable vendor yet offer a skip-shift eliminator for the C7 (i.e., a device to defeat the C7's CAGS system)?

In part because the operating window for the skip-shift is narrow I do not encounter it frequently. However, it's always a big surprise when I do, and quite annoying!

My understanding is the the CAGS requires the first-to-second shift to be attempted while the vehicle speed is 15 - 19 MPH, the throttle is 21% or less open, and the coolant temperature is at least 170 degrees. So one doesn't experience it very often.

Paul Morris, Internet Sales Manager at West Coast Corvette emailed me in response to my inquiry, writing "The cags will not work on the C7". This statement is confusing, but he must have meant that their defeat device won't work on the C7.

I have not yet communicated with any other vendors. Has anyone else? I'd like to buy a professionally designed and manufactured CAGS defeat device for the C7. Of course, as some have noted, perhaps the system has changed and it's no longer possible for a simple device to defeat the CAGS, at least without creating other potential problems.

Does anyone yet know for sure?
RPI has one listed at their website but apparently it isn't yet available
Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
CAGS only kicks in if you are shifting from 1st to 2nd at a low RPM which you should never do to begin with. This is why I've never understood the fascination with this mod. You can actually get to 50 MPH in 1st gear without red-lining your car so why do people insist on shifting all the way to third before they get to 40 MPH?

Dave
My last experience was on '96 GS and slow traffic light pedal driving I would always go for second to early. Result was too slow for 4th and grind when going back to first. The cags resister made the this car drive so much better. I know the c7 has a lot more torque but if I can't shift when I want to, then I might as well hook up HP tuners and disable it.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
RPI has one listed at their website but apparently it isn't yet available
It says that they are testing it.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:12 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

sorry to revive such an old thread, but is there a consensus on which CAGS eliminator kit is best for C7?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm no expert, but they all have the same ingredients, so I'd say the cheapest one.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Yep, they all appear to be the same. The one I got from Southern Car Parts works fine.

Quick Reply: CAGS Eliminator for C7?