Sponsored by:

CAGS Eliminator for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I bypassed the CAGs on my 2009 Z06 using the same identical aftermarket $20 eliminator that is used on the C6's built before it. I did not purchase a $1500 OEM part to bypass my CAGS.

Unplug the electrical connector at the transmission, insert dummy plug into the transmission to keep dirt out, and plug the eliminator into the wiring harness from the computer. The eliminator is nothing more then a 2.2k ohm resistor mounted in a GM connector, so it is a "plug-and-play" unit.
Well good for you. Now, if you only read carefully, you would notice I was referring to 2009-2010 and current DODGE VIPER, not corvette.

Dodge viper through 2008 can be bypassed just as easily as the current vette but the buck stopped in 2009. I know based on personal experience.

Pretty sure this is what will happen with the new vette.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by petermj
Yes, because they're using the exact same transmission and the exact same PCM.

Oh... wait a sec... They're not.

jas
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Well good for you. Now, if you only read carefully, you would notice I was referring to 2009-2010 and current DODGE VIPER, not corvette.

Dodge viper through 2008 can be bypassed just as easily as the current vette but the buck stopped in 2009. I know based on personal experience.

Then you should have posted your reply on the Viper forum as it has absolutely no value on the Corvette forum.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Yes, because they're using the exact same transmission and the exact same PCM.

Oh... wait a sec... They're not.

jas
Gheez, are you on the roll making dumb remarks? Gen 4 Viper transmissions are the same like corresponding vettes, as they are between 08 and 09-10 vipers, This has nothing to do with the drivetrain, this is caused by encryption on the ECU and nobody being able to crack it. I can disable the skip shift on Viper using the bypass plug without any difficulty. The problem is the CEL comes on after about 100 miles and few start ups.

But of course, GM will go against emission standards unlike Chrysler, apparently this is why AFM is there
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Wow, hard to believe we are even talking about this now...
Slow dreary day in E. TX ..........
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Then you should have posted your reply on the Viper forum as it has absolutely no value on the Corvette forum.
Maybe you should just put a foot in your mouth instead?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I'll bet you a dollar the existing CAGS eliminators can be used. If not, it'll take precisely 2 seconds for a new one to be built.

jas
or build your own with a resistor. Easy peasy.

However I never felt the need for an eliminator. The way I drive, the skip shift was never activated.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

This has nothing to do with the drivetrain, this is caused by encryption on the ECU and nobody being able to crack it.
As it turns out: the ECU (PCM) is part of the drive train. But ignoring that, my statement is 100% correct. You're just either acting or being ignorant. The C7 (which is what we're discussing) and the Viper DO NOT use the same transmission, nor do they use the same PCM.

jas
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
As it turns out: the ECU (PCM) is part of the drive train. But ignoring that, my statement is 100% correct. You're just either acting or being ignorant. The C7 (which is what we're discussing) and the Viper DO NOT use the same transmission, nor do they use the same PCM.

jas
Gen 4 Viper and C6 08 on use the same t6060 tranny. And again, this is not about difference in drivetrains, this is about methodology used to comply with emissions regulations. Seems to me Chrysler did it sooner than GM but in the end, GM will follow because there is only a limited number of technologies available to make our government happy. If this is above your head, I may include some pictorials to help you understand.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

If GM wanted to prevent defeat of CAGS by owners, they would have done it well before the C7 intro. It is there to game the EPA test protocol that determines the fuel economy numbers. Unless the Feds dictate otherwise, GM doesn't care if owners defeat CAGS. JMHO.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GOLD72
If GM wanted to prevent defeat of CAGS by owners, they would have done it well before the C7 intro. It is there to game the EPA test protocol that determines the fuel economy numbers. Unless the Feds dictate otherwise, GM doesn't care if owners defeat CAGS. JMHO.
Well, then let us wait and find out if this is the case? I guess we will also find out how tuning out AFM works out.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Unless they change the way they do it, all you need to defeat the CAGS is a blown smart fuse. I replaced my CAGS fuse with a blown smart fuse over 20K miles ago with no issues.

Last edited by hig4s; 02-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Maybe you should just put a foot in your mouth instead?
Maybe should accept the fact that Chrysler did not design the Corvette.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Maybe should accept the fact that Chrysler did not design the Corvette.
Let us hope your ASSumption will be the route GM takes with the new vette. The GTR crowd apparently cracked the Nissan encryption so who knows.

Sorry to see some things just go above your head
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hig4s
Unless they changes the way they do it, all you need to defeat the CAGS is a blown smart fuse. I replaced my CAGS fuse with a blown smart fuse over 20K miles ago with no issues.
Really, let us wait and see if this still indeed will be the case with C7.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
However I never felt the need for an eliminator. The way I drive, the skip shift was never activated.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Gen 4 Viper and C6 08 on use the same t6060 tranny.
Yep; we're not talking about the Gen 4 Viper and the Gen 6 Corvette. We're talking about the Gen 7 Corvette. You had to inject your knowledge of the Gen 4 Viper into this discussion and it has not had any bearing whatsoever on Corvette's development.

Seems to me Chrysler did it sooner than GM but in the end, GM will follow because there is only a limited number of technologies available to make our government happy.
You're making an assumption based on absolutely no knowledge of coming laws, regulations, rules, etc. Because one manufacturer does it, all will?

If this is above your head, I may include some pictorials to help you understand.
Thus far you've not proven me wrong on anything I've said, you've merely diverted the conversation. And then you have the temerity to call me stupid? Careful there, son.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS Eliminator for C7?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Yep; we're not talking about the Gen 4 Viper and the Gen 6 Corvette. We're talking about the Gen 7 Corvette. You had to inject your knowledge of the Gen 4 Viper into this discussion and it has not had any bearing whatsoever on Corvette's development.

You're making an assumption based on absolutely no knowledge of coming laws, regulations, rules, etc. Because one manufacturer does it, all will?

Thus far you've not proven me wrong on anything I've said, you've merely diverted the conversation. And then you have the temerity to call me stupid? Careful there, son.

jas
I am simply pointing that CAGS can be made impossible to disable. Again, I hope GM will not take this route but until someone actually does it on their car, your guess is just as good as mine, get it? I personally find it very frustrating that CAGS on my 09 vette can be disabled super easy while I can do absolutely nothing about the same year viper.

Now, son, do you actually have a proof CAGS can be disabled on C7 or are you talking out of your behind?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I do hope it is defeatable. My dealer kindly moved my eliminator from my Z06 to my ZR1 when I bought it.

I have found it is very easy to get hit by it on a left turn from a stop when you have to roll out of the case after you take off because someone slows in front of you, or for other reasons. It's most annoying and I'd prefer not to have to remember to make sure it is going x MPH before I shift for 2nd.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am simply pointing that CAGS can be made impossible to disable.
You can always cut the wire of the solenoid which prevents the gear stick from moving when CAGS is active.

Quick Reply: CAGS Eliminator for C7?