Potental C7 local dealer issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Default Potental C7 local dealer issue

So here is my problem,

There is a Chevy dealership in my small town that has been here since the 40s. Most everyone in town buys from this dealership. The owner is a really nice guy with an excellent reputation. When I took my 2012 C6 in for servicing, he acted real hurt I didn't buy from him (the deal I got in a nearby major city was significantly better then the deal I knew I could get it from any of his salesmen)

I will be buying a C7 sooner or later and my honestly, my first thought is to buy it from this small local dealer, but once again, I am sure one of the really well established forum dealers will give me a significantly lower price. I did tell the local guy I would give him the chance to meet or beat a forum price and in response he mumbled something unintelligable, but the non verbals I observe were classic, "I don't think I will do that"

I am between a rock and a hard place here. My wife's whole family lives in this little town and they all have been buying chevys from this guy for decades.

I would rather not be ex-communicated from the family..

Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

"Hey Bill, here is the quote I got from the big stealership, are you going to match it? The ball is in your court. I WANT to give you my business......call me."
Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

price differences?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by John Shiels
price differences?
I would assume it is in the thousands or this thread isn't even needed.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
price differences?
I paid about $3,000 less for my C6 from an out of town Chevy store then this local dealer would have charged..
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I paid about $3,000 less for my C6 from an out of town Chevy store then this local dealer would have charged..
Tell your wifes family if they want you to support their local dealership so bad, then cough up the extra, if not STFU.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I read that GM will only give their higher volume Corvette Dealers C7 allocations.
Chances are ur small town dealer will not get any.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
falco84
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKING1
I read that GM will only give their higher volume Corvette Dealers C7 allocations.
+1. Isn't it something like 1 C7 for every 3 or 4 C6s that were sold in 2012?

If the dealer isn't interested in meeting/beating the price after all the cars your extended family has bought from him then tell him to get lost. Why should you have any loyalty to him when you get nothing?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

I don't see the issue here. Your job is to pay the lowest price possible. If the local dealer can't match the price from the dealership in the "nearby major city" you certainly have no obligation to buy local. This "loyalty" needs to be a two way street. If the local does not reward your family's loyalty by giving you a competitive price, then you certainly owe no loyalty to him.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FKING1
When I bought my vette, I went in to Les Stanford and told them I have selected them to do my warranty and service work. They were very pleased at that arrangement....more people should take that approach, and more dealers should accept the facts....there are many reasons besides 'financial' why you don't buy from the closest dealer.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by falco84
+1. Isn't it something like 1 C7 for every 3 or 4 C6s that were sold in 2012?
Well that is obviously Not True - unless they only plan on selling 1/3 to 1/4th as many C7's as they did in dismal year 2012.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I don't see the issue here. Your job is to pay the lowest price possible. If the local dealer can't match the price from the dealership in the "nearby major city" you certainly have no obligation to buy local. This "loyalty" needs to be a two way street. If the local does not reward your family's loyalty by giving you a competitive price, then you certainly owe no loyalty to him.
Being a nice guy works both ways! Why should you have to show loyalty at the price of paying thousands more. The dealers all pay the same amount for a car from GM, whether large or small. If he values your business he should meet the price of the larger dealership!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

You already offended everybody when you bought the C6 so it's no big deal if you do it again...

The deal was that a dealer had to sell 4 new Corvettes during the last year to be eligible to get a new 2014 Corvette. So find out if your local guy is alloted a 2014 Corvette. If not, you have no choice but to go elsewhere. Nobody can be offended.

And if he can get a 2014 and charges MSRP, you won't do much better shopping elsewhere, at least for a while.

Until some time in the eighties the markup on a new Corvette was 24%, now it's about half that. So even if you have to pay MSRP it's not as painful.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, your dealer doesn't have to be hurt or offended, afterall ur servicing your car at his place rather then somewhere else, so you are giving him your business. Granted the service doesn't equal the price of a new corvette, but as Zymurgy loyalty works 2 ways.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
So here is my problem,

There is a Chevy dealership in my small town that has been here since the 40s. Most everyone in town buys from this dealership. The owner is a really nice guy with an excellent reputation. When I took my 2012 C6 in for servicing, he acted real hurt I didn't buy from him (the deal I got in a nearby major city was significantly better then the deal I knew I could get it from any of his salesmen)

I will be buying a C7 sooner or later and my honestly, my first thought is to buy it from this small local dealer, but once again, I am sure one of the really well established forum dealers will give me a significantly lower price. I did tell the local guy I would give him the chance to meet or beat a forum price and in response he mumbled something unintelligable, but the non verbals I observe were classic, "I don't think I will do that"

I am between a rock and a hard place here. My wife's whole family lives in this little town and they all have been buying chevys from this guy for decades.

I would rather not be ex-communicated from the family..

Any ideas?
http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/s...ing-the-new-c7

According to the above article, the dealership will have had to have sold at least four Corvettes in 2012. If the dealership you mentioned did not do that in 2012, you're good to go. Just order the car from the forum dealer at the best price and have it drop shipped to your local dealer and have them do the delivery. Win Win!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Its simply a question of Economics. I have always told my local dealer, I dont have to have the best price but I would rather buy local and to do that I need to have very competitive price. When the C7's come out, just about anyone is going to pay more for the Corvette. Thats why I usually have no problem in waiting a while. I guess I have gotten older and buying a new car, any car, is just not all that important to me anymore...
Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

When I purchased my Z, I could have gotten it for $60k from a forum dealer, but I purchased it locally for about $800 more - for that amount of money, it was woth it for me. Plus, I would have paid for delivery, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Potental C7 local dealer issue

Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Would your local dealer willingly give you $3000 for essentially no reason? Doubtful. Then why should you do it for him? Remember - it's just business, nothing personal. I wouldn't lose a moment's rest over something like this.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Get prices from a number of dealers than give your local dealer a chance to match prices or come close. If he doesn't, purchase from the lowest one.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Business is business. I want to do business with my local Chevy dealer as well, but if someone on the forums offers a significantly better price, I have no issue taking the money elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Potental C7 local dealer issue