Sponsored by:

C7 market appeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Of course. The aftermarket will make a complete C6 body kit to give folks the C7 with a C6 body just like you can buy a C2 looking C6.

Maybe they will even make a C5 (complete with pop-up head lights) body kit for it.
that looks pretty bad, out of shape.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
that looks pretty bad, out of shape.
And VERY expensive! Last I heard they were about $125k.
http://www.karlkustomcorvettes.com/z06.html
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by SaberD
I think it will open up a new market to buyers of european and high end japanese sports cars. With the interior upgrades, there isn't anything those guys can rag on the corvette about anymore. It's a better all around performer with an interior on par with that market.

Who on God's green earth would buy a $65k audi tt over a 59k vette that beats it in every aspect. All I have to say is these other car manufacturers had better get their s#$% together if they want to sell anything that competes with the corvette, because their pricing is way too high for what they are offering in comparison to the vette.
Not sure that is a good comparison and the last time I looked the Audi TT was listed for arounf $47k-$51K. If the car (and I nave no reason not to think it will) performs up to what many think it will, then with teh redesigned interior and the improved handling it will attract some none traditional Corvette buyers. I am one that is still on the fence. The design does not make me jump up and dowm and screram I have to have one. I am very interested in seeinmg the real numbers as far as performance is concerned and I also want to hold my final judgement until I can see it up close.

Last edited by BWF07; 01-31-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
I think it will open up a new market to buyers of european and high end japanese sports cars. With the interior upgrades, there isn't anything those guys can rag on the corvette about anymore. It's a better all around performer with an interior on par with that market.
Not sure I am buying this one... The majority in those referenced markets will not buy one simply because it is still an 'american car', even if the 'lack of refinement' is only a creation of their own perceptions....

Beyond that, give GM some credit for its past...I am sure we will find at least a few plastic pieces and/or ***** or interior components that begin to buzz from vibration after a year of driving....
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Noble713
8th Gear

Originally Posted by kozmic
Not sure I am buying this one... The majority in those referenced markets will not buy one simply because it is still an 'american car', even if the 'lack of refinement' is only a creation of their own perceptions....
I can't speak for the Europeans, but here in Japan you'd be surprised at the amount of American muscle rolling around. There's a family of young-ish "nouveau riche" bar owners here in Okinawa, they roll around in a H2 Hummer, a C5 Corvette, and new yellow Camaro. Muscle cars are status symbols and chick magnets here...

Your taxes and insurance are based on how physically large your vehicle is and what it's engine displacement is, so a Mustang or Camaro (which are physically large and have comparatively-HUGE displacement engines) are extremely expensive to own, so you must be on baller status to drive one.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
Will the C7 be able to hold on to the traditional buyer while appealing to the new, non-traditional, buyer?

Opinions please.
Possibly and no. No younger buyer GM wants will drop 60-70-80 large on CHEVY,and that's how the Vette is viewed when it boils down to it.Not to mention the design of the C7 is just plain UGLY,in my opinion.What the hell is up with that roof line? GM is kidding themselves if they think the younger gen will buy this car. AIN'T HAPPENING.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW

I have owned and driven Corvettes since I was 17 and have owned all 6 generations, the new C7 aesthetics to me are a huge disappointment. Looks like an edgier appearing C6 makeover with some engineering refinements but nothing earth shaking like I thought it would be. I think I will just keep my C6 convert. I have owned first year vettes from 4 of the 6 generations so usually am ready to jump when they introduce one but not inspired to do it this time from what I have seen.

From what the head corvette engineer said in the C&D interview video they had to stop the C7 design process twice because of the financial problems and were not able to do the mid engine design that they originally were shooting for in the new generation.
This is interesting. RJ is a long time traditional Vette buyer who thinks the C7 did not go far enough.

I really like the new C7, but if they came out with a V8 small block mid-engined Corvette, I would go crazy! That was Duntov's dream, and it's my dream, too. Pontiac built a couple V8 Fiero mock-ups, but I don't recall if they ever got fully built to where they were driven.

Michael
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
This is interesting. RJ is a long time traditional Vette buyer who thinks the C7 did not go far enough.

I really like the new C7, but if they came out with a V8 small block mid-engined Corvette, I would go crazy! That was Duntov's dream, and it's my dream, too. Pontiac built a couple V8 Fiero mock-ups, but I don't recall if they ever got fully built to where they were driven.

Michael
I agree 100% with RJ. Even as much as everyone wants to complain about the tail lights, it's like GM wanted 'radical change' but didn't actually do anything that radical. It is like they got caught somewhere between radical change and iterative generational change, which I personally believe to be a mistake - either should have stayed more traditional -or- gone much further. I too wish they would just bite the bullet and go mid-engine AWD. If they wanted international markets - the latter would have windfall of revenues.

(and for those who automatically jump to 'there will never be a mid-engine corvette'...do some DD )
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I have owned Corvettes for more years hen I want to say. I love he new car. It brings a lot of new technology. I do not mean electric tech but mechanical technology including a much stiffer and lighter frame. As far as other technology if you read up on the new positract system that alone makes huge leap in traction and handling...viva change!
Lighter frame but heavier car. And when are the getting rid of the transverse leaf springs?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I predict: 1. Car guys will like it. 2. Most Corvette guys will like it.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Lighter frame but heavier car. And when are the getting rid of the transverse leaf springs?

I'm with you on the former. Not on the latter. They seem to be working pretty well.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I don't think you can knock them on the leaf springs. They have a lot of advanges including light weight, fatigue resistance, sag resistance, corrosion resistance, low profile, easy to adjust ride height, natural anti-roll resistance.

Michael
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Glen220
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the younger crowd can afford to buy a two seater fun car in this economy and it will be years before it recovers enough they can.

I have no desire to buy a C7 it does not appeal to me.

Glen
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't think you can knock them on the leaf springs. They have a lot of advanges including light weight, fatigue resistance, sag resistance, corrosion resistance, low profile, easy to adjust ride height, natural anti-roll resistance.

Michael

The all-new designed from the ground-up Viper recently went head-to-head against the current ZR1 at Laguna Seca. Both driven by a guy who knows what he's doing. The latter, if you hear it told around here is not just dated, but. . . ancient. The former, an all-new design.

Keep in mind both these cars have nearly identical hp, torque, weight and thus hp/lb ratios. About as even as you get on paper.

As we all know, the ZR whipped the all-new Viper by 2 seconds and in the process set a new track record, eclipsing the previous mark set by an ACR Viper. Oh, and the long list of cars down on the list that hadn't come close to that on that track includes the Ferrari 458 and the Lambo Aventador.

Maybe it's just me, but the transverse composite leaf spring set up in the Corvette seems to work ok.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

"Traditional buyers" are lashing out right now because the C7 is a departure from what they've known for years. It's hard for them to accept the Corvette's new direction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some of their comments just stem from the fact that they see something they aren't used to. If some of the "traditional buyers" never want to buy another Corvette again because they don't like the direction it is headed in, they can miss out on the best pound for pound sports car in the world.

They can go with the Mustang, but it ain't a Corvette. They can go with a Porsche, but it ain't a Corvette. Or, they can go up to 100K or more but they won't do that because they already complain about the price being too high at 55K. They'll be right back in a Corvette because there's no substitute at that price. They might even decide just to keep their current Corvette but when they decide to buy new again, they really won't have a choice.

If they want to go the rest of their life without another Corvette, that will be their decision, but I doubt it. Many of them will soften up over time. Traditional buyers love Corvettes and that's where they want to be. It's only a matter of time.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I think it'll work...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Pitbull592
4th Gear

This is my first post here. While not young, I don't consider myself old (34) and I think I fit the demographic gm is looking for in the C7. I have experience with gm mostly in their trucks, but my buddy is a hardcore gm guy with a new Zl1 & C6Z. I never really got into the vette scene as my weekend/track cars have always been German. I sold my last car in 2010, to focus on starting a family and planned to get back into another one sometime next year. I was looking at used Porsche gt3's, Audi V10 R8's & mb C63 amg's.

I watched the unveiling of the C7 online & it really struck a chord with me. With a C7 in Lt3 trim with the Z51 package I can see myself paying in the 65k area which I'm fine with. I'm still saving a ton of $ vs my other choices. Plenty leftover for aftermarket goodies. No car inspires me like the C7. I think for the tech, performance and looks its hard to beat. Even besting cars costing 20-30k more. I will def be getting one once the dealer preorders are filled & the hype dies down a bit. I also want to wait a little to see the other performance variants that may come out before I fully commit to the Z51 as I usually keep my cars long term.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 market appeal

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Tires and brakes

Originally Posted by OnPoint

The all-new designed from the ground-up Viper recently went head-to-head against the current ZR1 at Laguna Seca. Both driven by a guy who knows what he's doing. The latter, if you hear it told around here is not just dated, but. . . ancient. The former, an all-new design.

Keep in mind both these cars have nearly identical hp, torque, weight and thus hp/lb ratios. About as even as you get on paper.

As we all know, the ZR whipped the all-new Viper by 2 seconds and in the process set a new track record, eclipsing the previous mark set by an ACR Viper. Oh, and the long list of cars down on the list that hadn't come close to that on that track includes the Ferrari 458 and the Lambo Aventador.

Maybe it's just me, but the transverse composite leaf spring set up in the Corvette seems to work ok.
So do the excellent Michelin tires and the superb ceramic brakes.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
"Traditional buyers" are lashing out right now because the C7 is a departure from what they've known for years. It's hard for them to accept the Corvette's new direction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some of their comments just stem from the fact that they see something they aren't used to. If some of the "traditional buyers" never want to buy another Corvette again because they don't like the direction it is headed in, they can miss out on the best pound for pound sports car in the world.

They can go with the Mustang, but it ain't a Corvette. They can go with a Porsche, but it ain't a Corvette. Or, they can go up to 100K or more but they won't do that because they already complain about the price being too high at 55K. They'll be right back in a Corvette because there's no substitute at that price. They might even decide just to keep their current Corvette but when they decide to buy new again, they really won't have a choice.

If they want to go the rest of their life without another Corvette, that will be their decision, but I doubt it. Many of them will soften up over time. Traditional buyers love Corvettes and that's where they want to be. It's only a matter of time.
Anyone remember or can anyone research, did the original Sting Ray get this sort of reception from the Corvette community?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

MUCH BETTER...

Quick Reply: C7 market appeal